News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstate 22

Started by Snappyjack, January 26, 2009, 11:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lordsutch

Quote from: CobaltYoshi27 on June 01, 2016, 04:46:42 PM
Wow, This is only 19 days away! Is this only for Alabama's section, or is Mississippi's section complete too?

Yes, except the connection to I-269 at the terminus of the designation, which is expected to be completed sometime in 2018.

CobaltYoshi27

Quote from: lordsutch on June 01, 2016, 05:47:10 PM
Quote from: CobaltYoshi27 on June 01, 2016, 04:46:42 PM
Wow, This is only 19 days away! Is this only for Alabama's section, or is Mississippi's section complete too?

Yes, except the connection to I-269 at the terminus of the designation, which is expected to be completed sometime in 2018.

Okay, so essentially all but the western terminus. Cool.
I's traveled:
10(TX) 20(TX) 24(TN) 30(TX) 35(TX) 40(TN) 45(TX) 64(KY-VA) 65(TN-KY) 66(VA-DC) 68(WV-MD) 69(TX) 70(IN-MD) 71(OH) 75(TN-MI) 76(OH-NJ) 77(VA-OH) 78(PA-NJ) 79(WV-PA) 80(OH-NJ) 81(TN-NY) 83(MD-PA) 84(NY-MA) 86(PA-NY) 87(NY) 88(NY) 89(NH-VT) 90(OH-MA) 91(CT-VT) 93(MA-NH) 95(NC-MA) 99(PA)

golden eagle

Quote from: CobaltYoshi27 on May 22, 2016, 08:00:12 PM
Quote from: Voyager75 on May 22, 2016, 07:57:30 PM

Came back down from Cullman on I-65 last night back to see one of the tarps had blown up to reveal one of the 22 shields. I assume it says WEST under the tarp that still in place or it's a horrible off-center job. Sorry for the blurriness.

This is what bothers me. It lists Memphis as a control city of I-22, but it won't go into Tennessee. I know it comes really close to the border, but it still bothers me.

You'll be very bothered about I-57 in Illinois that uses Memphis as its southbound control city, even though Memphis is about another 140 miles from 57's terminus at I-55.

Tourian

Quote from: CobaltYoshi27 on May 22, 2016, 08:00:12 PM
This is what bothers me. It lists Memphis as a control city of I-22, but it won't go into Tennessee. I know it comes really close to the border, but it still bothers me.

What do you think it should say? "A place outside of Memphis in Mississippi near Olive Branch" doesn't fit.

NE2

What a stupid thing to complain about.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

CobaltYoshi27

Quote from: NE2 on June 02, 2016, 01:02:51 PM
What a stupid thing to complain about.

Well, I'm sorry it bothers me. As for what it should say, I guess the name of a city just outside Memphis. In all reality, it doesn't really matter too much, but it still doesn't sit right with me.

You honestly could have been a little nicer with that, by the way.
I's traveled:
10(TX) 20(TX) 24(TN) 30(TX) 35(TX) 40(TN) 45(TX) 64(KY-VA) 65(TN-KY) 66(VA-DC) 68(WV-MD) 69(TX) 70(IN-MD) 71(OH) 75(TN-MI) 76(OH-NJ) 77(VA-OH) 78(PA-NJ) 79(WV-PA) 80(OH-NJ) 81(TN-NY) 83(MD-PA) 84(NY-MA) 86(PA-NY) 87(NY) 88(NY) 89(NH-VT) 90(OH-MA) 91(CT-VT) 93(MA-NH) 95(NC-MA) 99(PA)

NE2

You could be a little less anal about control cities.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

CobaltYoshi27

Quote from: NE2 on June 02, 2016, 03:10:23 PM
You could be a little less anal about control cities.

Once again, sorry it bothers me. I can't help it. :-/
I's traveled:

codyg1985

Here is a fugly sign that was captured in a news story from WVTM in Birmingham:

Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

rcm195

Don't know if this is the right place to put this, but I was wondering since we now can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel on I-22 being completed through Alabama, does anyone have any stories about the different generations of roads that have connected Birmingham and Memphis.

I remember as a teenager in the 1970's riding 78 from Jasper to Memphis as my family would go to Missouri to visit my Brother who lived there at the time. I can remember my Dad driving big Lincoln Mark IV's as he would fuss about trying to pass trucks on the old two lane road.

I can remember the original route it took through most of Walker and Jefferson counties. I could not have been no more than five years old and seeing the old four lane west of Graysville being built. Seems like yesterday and yet it was a long time ago.

Tourian

Quote from: rcm195 on June 06, 2016, 10:09:39 PM
Don't know if this is the right place to put this, but I was wondering since we now can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel on I-22 being completed through Alabama, does anyone have any stories about the different generations of roads that have connected Birmingham and Memphis.

I remember as a teenager in the 1970's riding 78 from Jasper to Memphis as my family would go to Missouri to visit my Brother who lived there at the time. I can remember my Dad driving big Lincoln Mark IV's as he would fuss about trying to pass trucks on the old two lane road.

I can remember the original route it took through most of Walker and Jefferson counties. I could not have been no more than five years old and seeing the old four lane west of Graysville being built. Seems like yesterday and yet it was a long time ago.

They've been talking about and building this road all my life it seems. I remember my dad making me drive back from Memphis part of the way and me freaking out because of the uneven pavement and tight (to me) bridges as the road shifted back and forth between partially finished sections and regular two lane road and the truckers seemingly coming straight at me. I could barely keep that Maxima in the lane it seemed and my mom was like, "Well let's let him learn some other time." But pops was adamant. Do or die.

Alex

My first experience with Interstate 22/U.S. 78 was in September 2003. We had a weeklong stay in Birmingham that year and I did several daytrips while there, including one along what was opened of Corridor X. A number of photos from that day showing the roadway under construction are posted on our I-22 page. It was neat to see a future Interstate partially open, as most of the system was complete by the time I could remember, save for a section of I-95 by PHL Airport I recall from 1st or 2nd grade.

rcm195

My Dad has been dead for almost 10 years. The last five years he lived he was very frail. Yet one of the things he looked forward to was me dropping by and taking him out to see the different parts of Corridor X under construction. Since there were different parts in different stages of construction, it was enjoyable for him because there was always something changing. These are memories I will keep with me as long as I live.

Charles2

My granddad passed away in 2000 at the age of 90.  He used to remark that they had been working on Highway 78 ever since he started driving, which would have been circa 1926.  Little did he know...

My earliest recollections of travelling on 78 date back to the mid '60's.  The highway has been four-lanes out of Birmingham as long as I can remember, but just short of the Jefferson-Walker county line, the four lane ended, resulting in a heavily traveled two lane road between the county line and Sumiton.  From Sumiton to Dora, the route was four lanes, but the segment between Dora and Jasper was two lanes, expanding again to four lanes through Jasper.

Any time we went from Birmingham to Little Rock, we always left Highway 78 at Jasper and took Highway 5 to Highway 278 near Natural Bridge.  We would pick 78 up again at Hamilton, following it through Mississippi.  I asked my granddad why he always did it, and he was always quick to explain that 5, then 278 was a better road with less traffic than it would have been to take 78 to Guin, then go along the 43/78/278 triplex (complete with the 78/278 wrong-way concurrency).  After taking that route a couple of times I understood what he was talking about.

Highway 78 in Mississippi was worse than Highway 78 in Alabama.  Narrow shoulders, twists, turns, blind intersections, and no four-lane segments, except around Tupelo.  And it seemed like every town in Mississippi was a major speed trap.

rcm195

I remember that well. My parents house in Jasper was just above the overpass where state highways 5 and 195 intersected US 78. Growing up you there you got used to the trucks running all night by there house.

The only part the truckers didn't like was 5 running through Walker County. Because it was a WPA road built during the Great Depression. That's why it's so narrow and has no shoulders. Winston County didn't build there part until the 1950's.

Charles2

I vaguely remember an intersection in Fulton, MS where the traffic light had the green light on top and the red light on the bottom.  Even as a young kid I thought it was bizarre.

rcm195

You remember the tunnel at Sherman, MS on the old 78?? You went under the train tracks. Used to scare my Mom to death going inside it.

Charles2

I do indeed remember that!

And I wonder how many fatalities took place at the intersection of 78 and Pratt Highway near Forestdale before they built that interchange?

rcm195

Over at the Coalburg Road exit late this afternoon. Saw stripes starting to be put down.

clong

I drove past both ends of the construction zone - Coalburg Rd and I-65 - this morning. It appears that all lane striping is in place. I didn't notice anything that needs to be completed save the removal of a few orange construction barrels.

rcm195

When are they going to put down that final asphalt layer between Cherry Ave and Coalburg Road on the eastbound lanes??

freebrickproductions

Quote from: codyg1985 on June 06, 2016, 09:55:49 PM
Here is a fugly sign that was captured in a news story from WVTM in Birmingham:

I want to say that's the first APL sign in Alabama...
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

MikeTheActuary

So...what's the over/under of TDOT recognizing the new designation, and putting up some "TO I-22" signs to indicate the use of US 78/Lamar Ave to get there?

TrevorB

Not sure, I've asked questions on the TDOT Facebook page before and gotten some responses. I'll try that and let y'all know.

Tomahawkin

I sure hope to see restaurant and truck stop development at the 22/Coalburg rd. Interchange. That area could sure use the revenue

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.