News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Interstate 22

Started by Snappyjack, January 26, 2009, 11:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

codyg1985

The reason Exit 53/AL 102 isn't signed is because currently the exit only goes to AL 118 to the north, and it doesn't actually connect with AL 102. Plans were to extend AL 102 from its current end at Townley to that interchange, but the project doesn't show up on the five year plan.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Bryant5493

^^

Okay, that's what I thought -- that S.R. 102 didn't connect directly with this interchange, but ALDOT has one of those small road signs on the overpass with "AL-102" on it, which confused me.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

jdb1234

Quote from: codyg1985 on April 15, 2010, 11:49:35 AM
The reason Exit 53/AL 102 isn't signed is because currently the exit only goes to AL 118 to the north, and it doesn't actually connect with AL 102. Plans were to extend AL 102 from its current end at Townley to that interchange, but the project doesn't show up on the five year plan.

Actually, that is not entirely true.  You can get to AL 102 by making a left at the exit and then a right where the road dead ends.  Though, I have never tried it.  I have only looked at that on a map.

codyg1985

Quote from: jdb1234 on April 15, 2010, 03:01:21 PM

Actually, that is not entirely true.  You can get to AL 102 by making a left at the exit and then a right where the road dead ends.  Though, I have never tried it.  I have only looked at that on a map.

You wouldn't want to try it. Last time I tried it, the road connecting the two, Wire Road, is a dirt/gravel county road for part of the way. The Walker County Commission scraped the original surface of the road down, which left the road in the horrible condition it is in. From the Lost Creek bridge to AL 102, it is a nice asphalt paved road, however.
Cody Goodman

jdb1234

Quote from: codyg1985 on April 18, 2010, 08:42:11 AM
Quote from: jdb1234 on April 15, 2010, 03:01:21 PM

Actually, that is not entirely true.  You can get to AL 102 by making a left at the exit and then a right where the road dead ends.  Though, I have never tried it.  I have only looked at that on a map.

You wouldn't want to try it. Last time I tried it, the road connecting the two, Wire Road, is a dirt/gravel county road for part of the way. The Walker County Commission scraped the original surface of the road down, which left the road in the horrible condition it is in. From the Lost Creek bridge to AL 102, it is a nice asphalt paved road, however.

Been on enough rural Walker County roads already, so I would not dare to try it.

Bryant5493

Here's Future I-22 between Bankhead Highway/U.S. 78 East/S.R. 5 in Graysville and its temporary eastern terminus at Jefferson C.R. 77/Coalburg Road.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

codyg1985

ALDOT has advertised a May 21 letting for the I-65/I-22 interchange. I hope the letting goes without it being withdrawn.
Cody Goodman

Tourian

Quote from: jdb1234 on April 08, 2010, 09:44:49 PM
Quote from: mightyace on April 08, 2010, 06:25:03 PM
Quote from: codyg1985 on April 08, 2010, 07:13:22 AM
It is 65 in Alabama
IIRC Parts of I-65 in Alabama are 70 mph or am I mistaken?

So, if I'm right, will they be raising it to 70 once it formally gets I-22 status?

I believe in Alabama the only roads signed at 70 MPH are the interstates.  Non-interstate freeways are 65 MPH. 

I live in Birmingham and I haven't taken a road trip in a while, but I seem to remember most of the 70mph signs had been dropped to 65 or 60.

jdb1234

Quote from: Tourian on June 08, 2010, 03:44:08 PM
Quote from: jdb1234 on April 08, 2010, 09:44:49 PM
Quote from: mightyace on April 08, 2010, 06:25:03 PM
Quote from: codyg1985 on April 08, 2010, 07:13:22 AM
It is 65 in Alabama
IIRC Parts of I-65 in Alabama are 70 mph or am I mistaken?

So, if I'm right, will they be raising it to 70 once it formally gets I-22 status?

I believe in Alabama the only roads signed at 70 MPH are the interstates.  Non-interstate freeways are 65 MPH. 

I live in Birmingham and I haven't taken a road trip in a while, but I seem to remember most of the 70mph signs had been dropped to 65 or 60.

Last time I recall, the speed limit on I-459 was 70.  I-65, I-20, and I-59 drop to 60 MPH going through town (I-65 drops to 60 just past the Shelby/Jefferson County line.)  All three of those interstates are 50 MPH when approaching Malfunction Junction.

Scott5114

So about how far out are we from I-22 being officially "commissioned" and signed in the field?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

froggie

At least a few years...more likely 5-10.  FHWA won't allow it until it connects to an Interstate on at least one end, which means building the interchange at I-65 or building part of I-269.

agentsteel53

Quote from: froggie on June 11, 2010, 11:12:32 AM
FHWA won't allow it until it connects to an Interstate on at least one end,

why can't Mississippi say "screw FHWA" - the road is complete in their state.  Besides, Pennsylvania did that with 99, which for a while didn't connect to anything.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

froggie

While the road may be "complete" in their state (as US 78), the shoulders along roughly half of it are not Interstate-standard...not even a paved shoulder in some locations (especially near Fulton and west of Tupelo).  They need to fix both those and the median through New Albany first, and MDOT intends to complete both before one of the connections on either end is built.

agentsteel53

Quote from: froggie on June 11, 2010, 11:25:00 AM
While the road may be "complete" in their state (as US 78), the shoulders along roughly half of it are not Interstate-standard...not even a paved shoulder in some locations (especially near Fulton and west of Tupelo).  They need to fix both those and the median through New Albany first, and MDOT intends to complete both before one of the connections on either end is built.

those seem like fairly minor quibbles against the interstate-worthiness of a route.  Now having only a single lane of travel, a 35mph advisory Death Curve on the mainline, a 5mph exit ramp with a stop sign for the corresponding entrance, or a set of gas stations and fast food franchises just after the departure from the Pennsylvania Turnpike, I could understand ... but, lack of paved shoulders?  That's minor.

I've driven all of what was Future 22 in 2006 (they may have added a few sections here and there between then and now), and at no point was I wondering to myself "how on earth is this road an interstate and/or will I die around the next bend?"

at the very least, Mississippi could sign the route with red, white, and blue FUTURE/MISSISSIPPI/22 cutout reassurance markers, junction shields, trailblazers, etc.

jake@aaroads.com

jdb1234

Right now, I believe the projected completion date is in Fall 2014.  The bidding was done a few weeks ago, but ALDOT has not awarded the contract to build the interchange with I-65 yet.

ATLRedSoxFan

It kind makes you wonder, especially since road building technology has advanced over the years, since say when the Indiana Toll Road, Ohio Turnpike, Penna Turnpike and even New Jersey Turnpikes were all built and those didn't take much more than two years and in some cases less. The Penna Turnpike may have taken a bit longer because of the extensions, but not by a whole lot. In other words, what's the hold up? They need to just sign the bloody thing and be done with it. Heck, when they started building interstates, they obviously didn't connect with each other at first, yet they were signed. So really, what's the freakin' difference??

agentsteel53

advances in bureaucratic technology have made our current administrators obstinate and pedantic in ways our ancestors never could've dreamed of.

hooray for progress!

jake@aaroads.com

froggie

Then there's this little thing called environmental mitigation.  A lot of those early projects didn't give a rats arse what the construction did to the local environment.  Not so the case anymore...

codyg1985

Quote from: jdb1234 on June 14, 2010, 12:24:19 AM
Right now, I believe the projected completion date is in Fall 2014.  The bidding was done a few weeks ago, but ALDOT has not awarded the contract to build the interchange with I-65 yet.

I wonder how long it will take until construction starts? I imagine with such a large contract it will take longer than usual to actually award the contract.

If the interchange in AL is completed before MS completes its upgrading, then will AL be allowed to sign its sections as I-22 or will they have to wait until the upgrades in MS are completed?
Cody Goodman

agentsteel53

Quote from: froggie on June 14, 2010, 10:42:14 AM
Then there's this little thing called environmental mitigation.  A lot of those early projects didn't give a rats arse what the construction did to the local environment.  Not so the case anymore...

I thought he was asking "what's the holdup in signing 22", which has nothing to do with the fact that we don't use the "salt the earth now, ask questions later" road-building style anymore.

jake@aaroads.com

jdb1234

Tourian

I find it interesting that some people are complaining in response to that blog entry that an Atlanta based company got the job AND had the lowest bid. I wish an Alabama firm had gotten the job too, but the lowest bid is the lowest bid. If someone in Alabama had been picked and DIDN'T have the lowest bid then some poeple would cry foul and claim corruption, graft and back room deals. And rightfully so.

agentsteel53

damn dirty Atlantan foreigners displacing hardworking Americans!  Maybe we should erect a fence around I-285 to keep them out of our country.

jake@aaroads.com

codyg1985

What many don't realize is that the Atlanta-based company is probably a general contractor. He will use subcontractors that are probably from around the area because it is cheaper to mobilize.
Cody Goodman

Tourian

Quote from: codyg1985 on June 14, 2010, 10:43:04 AM
If the interchange in AL is completed before MS completes its upgrading, then will AL be allowed to sign its sections as I-22 or will they have to wait until the upgrades in MS are completed?

What upgrades does MS have to do? I figured they were done. And what are TN's plans on their end? The road just kind of dumps down to the surface on to a four lane road/highway. Will there be an interchange on their end at all? Or only if Memphis gets an outer loop?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.