News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Roadgeeks and Weatherfans

Started by Alex, January 18, 2009, 09:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

algorerhythms

Está chovendo... (It's raining...)

Scott5114

Meanwhile, in Norman we had a high in the mid-70s on Wednesday, with a low in the upper 20s that night. What? Last night it got down to 24, and right now we're setting at 51 as the sun goes down.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jgb191

We are looking at one more day of 90 degrees tomorrow (Nov 29th) before yet another cold blast knocks us back down to 74 degrees, which has been our lows for most of this month.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

algorerhythms

It's been between 25 and 30 Celsius every day here in Recife.

mightyace

We had highs in the 30s over the weekend.

It is currently 55 and raining.  Highs are expected to be in the 50s throughout the week with lows in the upper 20s just below freezing.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

stormwatch7721

I admit it. I'm a weather fanatic and a road fanatic.

Roadsign199qc

Hi!

Alps

Quote from: Roadsign199qc on December 01, 2010, 12:49:40 PM
I'm only a roadgeek.
That doesn't contribute meaningfully to this thread.  Please re-read forum guidelines - you have done that in other threads as well...  (Note to everyone who happens across this post - stay meaningful!)

PAHighways

ROADS! and weather are colliding tonight here, with numerous road closures across PA.  Last I heard the "bathtub" portion of I-376/Parkway Central was to close at 8 PM.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: PAHighways on December 01, 2010, 10:19:14 PM
ROADS! and weather are colliding tonight here, with numerous road closures across PA.  Last I heard the "bathtub" portion of I-376/Parkway Central was to close at 8 PM.

Still open as of the 11PM news casts.  But PennDOT doesn't have high hopes that they can keep it open much longer.  Odds are it's going to be closed for the Morning Rush Hour.

froggie

Bathtub portion...?

I'm assuming this is a segment that floods regularly during heavy-rain events.

PAHighways

It's the westbound section between Grant Street and Stanwix Street which is the same level as the Mon Wharf.

The reason for the nickname is that due to Jersey barrier on the left side, retaining wall on the right side, and the slopes into and out of this section, anytime flood waters from the Mon get onto the roadway, a bathtub-effect is created.

algorerhythms

When I left Recife yesterday afternoon out was 86°F. Now I'm in Dallas and it's 44°F....

jgb191

Looking at upper 80s to near 90 tomorrow; expecting the heat index in the low 90s as well.

jgb191

A look at the nationwide forecast for tomorrow (December 11).  Obviously, the place to be is right here in South Texas -- mid to upper 80s and quite humid.  Looks like a lot of people are going to be flocking to the beaches.

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

mightyace

We had our first significant winter storm of the season starting yesterday.  Most of middle-TN got 2-3 inches of snow making travel adventurous.

Given where we are, nearly all the schools are closed today.

High temperatures are currently in the 12-15 degree range and the high is supposed to be between 23 and 30.  We're not supposed to get above freezing until Wednesday when we may get a snow/ice/rain mix.  From Wednesday on, highs in the upper 30s to low 40s and lows in the 20s or 30s.

This is unseasonably cold for this point in December here in TN.

njroadhorse

Quote from: mightyace on December 13, 2010, 10:47:37 AM
We had our first significant winter storm of the season starting yesterday.  Most of middle-TN got 2-3 inches of snow making travel adventurous.

High temperatures are currently in the 12-15 degree range and the high is supposed to be between 23 and 30.  We're not supposed to get above freezing until Wednesday when we may get a snow/ice/rain mix.  From Wednesday on, highs in the upper 30s to low 40s and lows in the 20s or 30s.

On a similar note, its only going to be 15 in Blacksburg, VA today.  Before today, we have had snow for about 8 of the past 10 days.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

74/171FAN

Quote from: njroadhorse on December 14, 2010, 12:49:59 PM
Quote from: mightyace on December 13, 2010, 10:47:37 AM

On a similar note, its only going to be 15 in Blacksburg, VA today.  Before today, we have had snow for about 8 of the past 10 days.
Honestly I'm not sure what the actual wind chill was when I walked back to my room last night but I'm pretty sure it might have been below -10.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

mightyace

The temperature got down to about 2 degrees Fahrenheit overnight here with a significant wind chill.  Current temp is around 27-28 F.

We are expecting a low in the teens and a possible ice storm tomorrow.

UPDATE (Thursday 12/16):

Wednesday's ICE storm wasn't as bad as predicted.

We've got rain today (Thursday) and currently at 54 degrees F!  It's back into the high thirties or low forties starting tomorrow.

jgb191

We saw 86 degrees today and a heat index very close to 90 degrees.  A cold front will drop us back to the low 70s tomorrow.

froggie

74/171:  based on obs, your wind chill Monday night didn't hit -10F until around 10pm.  Most of the evening, it was hovering around -4F.

74/171FAN

Quote from: froggie on December 17, 2010, 09:16:52 AM
74/171:  based on obs, your wind chill Monday night didn't hit -10F until around 10pm.  Most of the evening, it was hovering around -4F.
Actually I didn't walk back to my dorm until 2 AM.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Chris

Up to 10 inches of snow fell in western Netherlands. The morning rush continued uninterrupted into the evening rush hour, which is still lasting as of 10 pm. Delays up to 4 hours were reported on certain freeways. 10 inches is highly unusual in the Netherlands, it is usually not much more than an inch or two (which can also paralyze traffic). Rail traffic was also severely disrupted, as was air traffic. Not much for redundancy here, the whole system is designed to operate at its maximum capacity (road, rail, air), leaving very little space for disruptions.

J N Winkler

Oxford has largely been spared but there was a dusting of snow when I went out for an afternoon walk.  Gatwick has threatened to close.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.