News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Charlotte

Started by wriddle082, October 15, 2015, 05:16:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AcE_Wolf_287

Quote from: jcarte29 on March 10, 2020, 10:16:01 PM
Quote from: AcE_Wolf_287 on March 10, 2020, 09:30:35 AM
Charlotte Needs another Main Interstate Route and 2 More Auxiliary Routes.

This isn't Atlanta. Any other interstate would feel like Raleigh getting I-87, in other words, out of place. Where would the auxiliary routes go? 485 is already a 65 mile loop. 85 and 77 are as vital through routes as any in NC...

I-36 or I-38 would be along US 74 and a another auxilary would be to crazy. maybe an outer loop for the metro area

i-877 would intersect

I-77/US 21 in Rock Hill, SC
I-85/US 29/US 74/US 321 in Gastonia
I-77/US 21 in Huntsville
I-85/US 29 in Concord
US 74/US 601 in Monroe

ARMOURERERIC

As far as an outer loop, NC150 is scheduled for major improvement between NC16 and I77.  It will be 6 lanes with no cross traffic.

LM117

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-03-16-uptown-charlotte-ramp-closures.aspx

Quote​CHARLOTTE — N.C. Department of Transportation contract crews have scheduled several closures this week as part of a $16.3 million project to improve the roadway and 22 bridges along I-277.​

Starting tonight, crews will close the ramps from East 5th Street to U.S. 74 East, from East 4th Street to the outer loop, and from the outer loop to U.S. 74 East. The closures will be in place from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. each night through Friday morning, March 20.​​

On Wednesday and Thursday nights, the ramp from U.S. 74 West to the outer loop will be closed from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m.​​ The same ramp will close this weekend from 9 p.m. Friday until 6 a.m. Monday, March 23.

​All the work is weather permitting and subject to change. Detour information will be online at DriveNC.gov under Mecklenburg County.​​

Drivers need to slow down and use extra caution while going through the work zones and the detour routes. They also need to pay extra attention to the road for their own safety, as well as any passengers, occupants of other vehicles and the construction crews in the area.​
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

LM117

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-03-27-weekend-striping-work.aspx

QuoteCHARLOTTE — N.C. Department of Transportation contract crews on Sunday will temporarily close lanes on Interstate 77 at the West Boulevard overpass as part of a $12.8 million improvement of the highway between exits 5 and 10. ​​

The contract calls for milling and paving, repairing concrete, and installing pavement markings and snow plowable markers along the five-mile stretch. ​​

The project also includes improvements to the northbound and southbound bridges at West Boulevard, and the bridge exiting I-77 South to West Boulevard. Crews will paint the bridges, replace bridge joints, perform repairs to the concrete deck and add a new deck overlay to smooth the ride for motorists.​​​

Weather permitting, the closures will start at 7 a.m. Sunday so crews can complete lane striping and install pavement markers. Two of three lanes may be closed in each direction throughout the day. If work is not completed, closures will be scheduled for another day. ​​

Drivers are encouraged to slow down when approaching the work zone and to pay extra attention to construction.​

LM117

Upcoming lane closures on Concord Mills Blvd next week due to the flyover-bridge project.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-08-14-concord-mills-boulevard-closure.aspx

Third Strike

I'm genuinely curious, but how far away have you seen Charlotte show up as a control city on a distance sign? The furthest I think I've seen Charlotte was on a sign on I-81 near the I-77 interchange.

sprjus4

Quote from: Third Strike on August 29, 2020, 10:47:59 AM
I'm genuinely curious, but how far away have you seen Charlotte show up as a control city on a distance sign? The furthest I think I've seen Charlotte was on a sign on I-81 near the I-77 interchange.
I-64 / I-77 split in Beckley, WV has a sign that lists Richmond (VA) and Charlotte as long distance destinations. A little over 200 miles to Charlotte, and 260 miles to Richmond. The main control city for I-77 South is Bluefield though.

https://goo.gl/maps/P8FXrxh9pBZiK2DWA

LM117

Quote from: sprjus4 on August 29, 2020, 11:40:55 AM
Quote from: Third Strike on August 29, 2020, 10:47:59 AM
I-64 / I-77 split in Beckley, WV has a sign that lists Richmond (VA) and Charlotte as long distance destinations. A little over 200 miles to Charlotte, and 260 miles to Richmond. The main control city for I-77 South is Bluefield though.

https://goo.gl/maps/P8FXrxh9pBZiK2DWA

Those shields have seen better days.

LM117

LM117

ahj2000

Quote from: LM117 on February 05, 2021, 12:27:31 PM
Beginning February 8, extended vehicles will be allowed to use the I-77 toll lanes.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2021/2021-02-05-extended-vehicles-use-i-77-express-lanes.aspx
I moved away from the CLT area a couple years before they opened and only used them once. How are the express lanes doing on a regular basis now? I remember the fights about whether or not to build them.

Katavia

Quote from: ahj2000 on February 06, 2021, 10:20:30 AM
Beginning February 8, extended vehicles will be allowed to use the I-77 toll lanes.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2021/2021-02-05-extended-vehicles-use-i-77-express-lanes.aspx
I moved away from the CLT area a couple years before they opened and only used them once. How are the express lanes doing on a regular basis now? I remember the fights about whether or not to build them.
The 'rona took a sledgehammer to the exact same problem that the Express Lanes were attempting to fix, with way more people working from home now ... Most of the time (when I'm on 77) the general lanes were pretty clear, so I don't use them all that often - I've only been able to use them to bypass major congestion once or twice so far.
(Former) pizza delivery driver with a penchant for highways.
On nearly every other online platform I go by Kurzov - Katavia is a holdover from the past.

LM117

Quote from: LM117 on August 14, 2019, 11:39:42 AM
The I-485 express lane project will begin soon.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-08-15-charlotte-express-lanes-construction.aspx

So much for opening in late 2022. The opening date is expected to be delayed up to 2 years due to the project being way behind schedule.

https://www.wfae.org/business/2021-05-10/toll-lane-project-on-interstate-485-delayed

WashuOtaku

Quote from: LM117 on May 11, 2021, 12:25:44 PM
So much for opening in late 2022. The opening date is expected to be delayed up to 2 years due to the project being way behind schedule.

https://www.wfae.org/business/2021-05-10/toll-lane-project-on-interstate-485-delayed

I mention this in reddit, but nobody is explaining why it is taking longer.

index

Quote from: ahj2000 on February 06, 2021, 10:20:30 AM

At least when I've been on I-77 they don't see much use, as another poster also said. Nobody wants to pay for them. At the very least they should've just kept the express lane down to one lane the whole way and added another general purpose lane, or made them HOV 2+, but I'd rather they just not have been added at all and we'd have more general purpose lanes instead.

I believe this is one of the solutions in which adding a lane isn't uncalled for in reducing traffic. It's >such< a massive tease being stuck in traffic and seeing those two useless lanes just sit there when traffic could be using them.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

sprjus4

I-85 - Carries 80,000 - 150,000 AADT between I-485 and China Grove. Was originally 4 lanes and suffered significant congestion issues. Has been expanded to 8 general purpose lanes throughout (and before the "induced demand" advocates chime in, many parts were done 20-30 years ago and still have no problems) and now sees virtually no congestion.
I-77 - Carries 70,000 - 100,000 AADT between I-485 and Mooresville. Was originally 4 lanes and suffered significant congestion issues. Has been expanded to 2-4 HO/T lanes + 4 general purpose lanes. Still sees plenty of recurring congestion with underutilized toll lanes.

I think this says enough. I-77 should have been widened to 6-8 general purpose lanes up to Mooresville and left alone - traffic congestion would've gone down and the highway still would have had plenty of room to grow over the next 20+ years.

Now, it's my understanding they're planning a project to widen I-77 south of Downtown to 8 general purpose lanes + 4 HO/T lanes. In that case, I can understand the appropriateness for toll lanes at that point. A more urban environment, higher traffic volumes (150,000+ AADT), and still maximizing general purpose lanes (4 each way) before going to HO/T. But as for the previously completed north project, the lack of usage and still high congestion volumes shows that the project was bound to be a failure from the beginning. That was not an appropriate place for those lanes.

And I fear the same thing is going to happen here in Hampton Roads with the region's rapid HO/T lane expansion over the next 5 years, in areas they quite frankly should be general purpose lanes. But that's for another discussion.

cowboy_wilhelm

Can't remember if I said it here or on another forum, but there needs to be legislation in North Carolina (thanks to this project) that a freeway must have three free general purpose travel lanes in each direction before toll lanes can be added, and a minimum of two toll lanes must be constructed in each direction. I'm not completely against toll lanes, but what they did to I-77 is a joke.

sprjus4

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on May 13, 2021, 08:39:30 AM
Can't remember if I said it here or on another forum, but there needs to be legislation in North Carolina (thanks to this project) that a freeway must have three free general purpose travel lanes in each direction before toll lanes can be added, and a minimum of two toll lanes must be constructed in each direction. I'm not completely against toll lanes, but what they did to I-77 is a joke.

Agreed. While HO/T lanes can be unpopular in general, if they're used in the right places and get usage, they at least have some level of effectiveness. I-77 was not that right place.

Legislation like that would be nice, but unfortunately could never see it passed. The standard for tolled express lanes in this country has lowered to now being an option for simply slapping a third lane each way. That's what Charlotte did in this northern portion, I believe a similar proposal is underway in Kansas City, and Hampton Roads is doing it.

WashuOtaku

Just a reminder that the express lanes being built on I-485 will be own and operated by NCDOT, not a third party like on I-77. This means that the costs to use will be lower because of a less important on profit and more of managing traffic.

sprjus4

Quote from: WashuOtaku on May 13, 2021, 10:59:14 AM
Just a reminder that the express lanes being built on I-485 will be own and operated by NCDOT, not a third party like on I-77. This means that the costs to use will be lower because of a less important on profit and more of managing traffic.
Along with being at least 3 general purpose lanes each way... though I believe a part of it will only have 2 each way... that should be expanded IMO to create a consistent 3+1 setup.

But again, in all honesty, I truly feel like 8 general purpose lanes would be a better solution. But what can you do.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 13, 2021, 11:11:12 AM
Along with being at least 3 general purpose lanes each way... though I believe a part of it will only have 2 each way... that should be expanded IMO to create a consistent 3+1 setup.

But again, in all honesty, I truly feel like 8 general purpose lanes would be a better solution. But what can you do.

So they are adding a general purpose lane between Providence and Rea Roads. The problem with adding more lanes that traffic usually is able to fill those lanes within' a few years as it encourages more people to take the route. The express lanes is to temper that issue as a flex route for those that are willing to pay or ride-share. Also, funding is another issue because infrastructure, like teacher pay, is never enough.

sprjus4

Quote from: WashuOtaku on May 13, 2021, 01:47:51 PMThe problem with adding more lanes that traffic usually is able to fill those lanes within' a few years as it encourages more people to take the route. The express lanes is to temper that issue as a flex route for those that are willing to pay or ride-share.
Already debunked this fallacy above using a real world example, in the Charlotte area in fact.

I'll add, I'm not necessarily saying induced demand is 100% a myth. It does apply in certain situations, particularly more condensed urban situations and very high traffic volumes that truly needs more than 4 or 5 GP lanes each way. This doesn't apply for I-485 or I-77.

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 13, 2021, 12:49:05 AM
I-85 - Carries 80,000 - 150,000 AADT between I-485 and China Grove. Was originally 4 lanes and suffered significant congestion issues. Has been expanded to 8 general purpose lanes throughout (and before the "induced demand" advocates chime in, many parts were done 20-30 years ago and still have no problems) and now sees virtually no congestion.
I-77 - Carries 70,000 - 100,000 AADT between I-485 and Mooresville. Was originally 4 lanes and suffered significant congestion issues. Has been expanded to 2-4 HO/T lanes + 4 general purpose lanes. Still sees plenty of recurring congestion with underutilized toll lanes.

I think this says enough. I-77 should have been widened to 6-8 general purpose lanes up to Mooresville and left alone - traffic congestion would've gone down and the highway still would have had plenty of room to grow over the next 20+ years.

tjcreasy

Well considering NCDOT started the widening project in Salisbury instead of Concord the demand could never be created due to the bottlenecks through Caburrus and South Rowan County.

tolbs17

the I-77/I-85 interchange needs MAJOR renovations. There's a BIG headache with going on it.

Also, I-85 getting express lanes like I-77 is?

sprjus4

Quote from: tolbs17 on May 15, 2021, 04:51:26 PM
Also, I-85 getting express lanes like I-77 is?
Don't think so, though I could reasonably see them useful particularly out to Gastonia, alongside 4 general purpose lanes in each direction.

Otherwise, NCDOT has been smart and used common sense on that corridor and is seeing very positive results specifically north and east of the city.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.