News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Research examines links between commuting and political participation

Started by cpzilliacus, November 21, 2013, 10:33:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Washington Post: Research examines links between commuting and political participation

QuoteFor many folks in the D.C. region, commuting is a chore. It can be stressful, expensive and time consuming.

QuoteA recent report on NPR says it also may impact how likely folks are to be politically engaged.

QuoteShankar Vedantam reported on new research out of Stonybrook University and the University of Connecticut, which  found that time spent traveling to and from work may explain why people are less engaged in politics. It wasn't necessarily a matter of time, researchers found, but rather that some folks may just feel too exhausted to participate. The impact is particularly pronounced among those from low socio-economic backgrounds.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Brandon

I'm not so sure it's just low-income individuals.  There are plenty of higher-income and middle-income people who have long commute times.  If it is just the lower-income folks, then that's a matter of correlation is not necessarily causation.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

NE2

Best comment I've read: http://www.dailykos.com/comments/1256840/51930325
QuoteAn alternate hypothesis

If you have a long commute, then you spend most of your waking hours in another city or county from where you sleep. Fewer opportunities to meet neighbors, use local facilities, volunteer for stuff, notice civic challenges, etc. That would reasonably reduce one's interest in a lot of things, including politics.

That seems like a far simpler explanation for the data than inventing a new psychic fatigue phenomenon.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.