News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Caltrans safety device saved driver's life

Started by ZLoth, December 13, 2013, 02:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

From KCRA:

Caltrans safety device saved driver's life
QuoteA state transportation department maintenance truck was hit from behind along Interstate 5 on Wednesday afternoon near Manteca.

The Caltrans truck had an attenuator, or a large, yellow safety device, on its back.

A witness who saw the crash from his office said the driver of the car that hit the truck is lucky to be alive.
FULL ARTICLE HERE
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

PHLBOS

Not to belittle the fact nor testimonial but it sounds like that attenuator did what it was designed/intended to do.  Kudos.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

hbelkins

We had someone hit a crash cushion a few months ago. The driver dozed off. The device probably saved our workers' lives.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: hbelkins on December 13, 2013, 10:25:41 AM
We had someone hit a crash cushion a few months ago. The driver dozed off. The device probably saved our workers' lives.

Virginia DOT has always called them crash cushions as well, and was also a relatively early adopter of them (I recall seeing them in the 1980's, and by the 1990's, almost every VDOT truck doing maintenance in or near live traffic had one).  And yes, they work.

Maryland State Highway Administration has been much slower to adopt them for reasons not clear to me.  Maryland Transportation Authority uses them on nearly all of their dump trucks. 

Relatively recently, I have seen trucks using the "Scorpion" attenuator, which looks a little like the tail of a scorpion when it is is in the "up" position.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

ZLoth

Quote from: PHLBOS on December 13, 2013, 09:24:47 AM
Not to belittle the fact nor testimonial but it sounds like that attenuator did what it was designed/intended to do.  Kudos.
It was a road-related story that I thought was worth sharing.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.