6 things to consider before taking time off work

Started by ZLoth, June 10, 2014, 09:57:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

From CBS Marketwatch:

6 things to consider before taking time off work
QuoteEveryone know that one of the best parts of working is vacation. Taking time off is not only good for you and your family, it's also good for your employer because you come back rested and focused. But before you hit the beach, here are some things you need to know about your vacation time.
FULL ARTICLE HERE
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

ZLoth

Two articles here....

From Bloomberg:

Vacation-Phobic Americans Donate a Million Years of Work Annually
QuoteThe big difference between hoarders and collectors: One of them appreciates what they're piling up.

The U.S. stands alone among developed countries by not mandating vacation time. Of those who get vacation time, four in 10 Americans stockpile them, failing to take all the days they're offered. Those stay-at-work Americans leave an average of 8.1 days unused, according to a 2014 Oxford Economics analysis. That's about 429 million unused days per year.
FULL ARTICLE HERE

From Marketwatch:

"˜Obli-cation' trips are making you broke
Trips you feel you have to go on cost nearly $800 a year
QuoteYour distant cousin's wedding. A frenemy's birthday party. Your family reunion. We've all felt obligated to travel to events like this – even though we didn't want to. And while the emotional turmoil and annoyance of them is bad enough, here's another problem with these "obli-cations" : they're costing us a lot, to the tune of almost 30% of American spending on leisure travel.

According to a survey released Wednesday by travel-booking site Hotwire.com , every year Americans spend $185 billion – nearly $800 per person – just on "leisure"  trips they feel obligated to take. Among the most common trips that fall into the obli-cation category are for birthdays (a total of $32 billion, or $137 per person a year), weddings ($20 billion, or $89 per person a year), reunions ($11 billion, or $50 per person a year) and wedding and baby showers ($7 billion, or $33 per person a year), according to the survey, conducted by Harris Poll, which questioned 2,000 U.S. adults.
FULL ARTICLE HERE
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.