News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

2015 American television is such a joke

Started by Billy F 1988, May 27, 2015, 11:44:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

Quote from: Pete from Boston on June 01, 2015, 03:38:05 PM
Quote from: roadman on June 01, 2015, 01:36:56 PM
Quote from: thenetwork on June 01, 2015, 11:58:54 AM
And, BTW, Bugs Bunny cartoons WERE educational -- stay away from cliffs, don't sit on or attach rockets to your body, don't run in the same direction as a falling tree and never EVER buy products from Acme!!!

You forgot one very important lesson - when you walk off a cliff, gravity doesn't take hold until you look down.

Seriously though, with the possible exception of the Coyote/Road Runner and the Ralph Wolf (aka Coyote in drag)/Sam Sheepdog series, most of the older Warner Brothers cartoons were indeed educational in one sense - they had loads of historical and cultural references you seldom find in cartoons today.

Not to mention, they catalogued our most humorous geographic names, such as Hackensack, Waxahachie, Albuquerque, and Walla Walla, Washington.

Let us not forget that famous L.A. suburb of (Rancho) Cuc....

thenetwork

Quote from: thenetwork on June 01, 2015, 07:23:38 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on June 01, 2015, 03:38:05 PM
Quote from: roadman on June 01, 2015, 01:36:56 PM
And, BTW, Bugs Bunny cartoons WERE educational -- stay away from cliffs, don't sit on or attach rockets to your body, don't run in the same direction as a falling tree and never EVER buy products from Acme!!!

You forgot one very important lesson - when you walk off a cliff, gravity doesn't take hold until you look down.

Seriously though, with the possible exception of the Coyote/Road Runner and the Ralph Wolf (aka Coyote in drag)/Sam Sheepdog series, most of the older Warner Brothers cartoons were indeed educational in one sense - they had loads of historical and cultural references you seldom find in cartoons today.

Not to mention, they catalogued our most humorous geographic names, such as Hackensack, Waxahachie, Albuquerque, and Walla Walla, Washington.

Let us not forget that famous L.A. suburb of (Rancho) Cuc....

..camonga!!!

vdeane

Bugs Bunny cartoons were being butchered on Saturday mornings once the parental activists (most of whom were probably exposed to the original full-length cartoons yet were never scarred by them nor became violent criminals as a result) started demanding that they take out all the violent actions (Elmer Fudd shooting Daffy & Bugs, exploding TNT in Wile E. Coyote's hands, etc...) from the cartoons.  Then those activists had enough traction to say that ALL Saturday morning fare should be "educational and informative", which pretty much marked the end of Saturday Morning as the Baby Boomers knew it.   Even the good vs. evil shows (Scooby Doo) or the dozens of cartoons where the main characters sang songs during the show (Josie & The Pussycats, The Archies -- even Fat Albert) were no match for the activists.

Now Saturday Mornings are filled with shows that (last time I surfed them), are such s-l-o-w paced and boring. Those E/I shows of the 70s "Schoolhouse Rock" and "In The News" had more education and excitement in their 3-minute programs than most 30-minute shows today!!  In fact what takes 30 minutes to explain on a Saturday Morning E/I show, you could see on a 10-minute Encyclopedia Britannica or Coronet film seen in a classroom back in the day.

How to get around the educational requirement:
Method 1: take a bunch of shows, insert some educational segments in between, and morph them into one big "show".  The result is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atHUYWL1eIU
Method 2: take some footage from the show and dub over something educational.  The result is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwJT6P9dNQY

Ah, childhood memories...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Desert Man

I still watch (some) TV, even on my pricier cable bill and I switched to an internet/phone/cable bundle to save me(and family) some money now. Most prime-time TV sitcoms don't interest me, except I find a few good ones like 'Modern Family' I find hilarious or humorous. Primetime shows today are supposed to remind us of the real world or have a more "realistic" feel. Some people believe there's less morals or ethics on primetime comedy and it's more gross or unsuitable for families, but I have to disagree. Yes, TV network standards were stricter in the past before the TV rating system was devised 2 decades ago, or you won't have 'South Park' or 'Family Guy' allowed on cable television. But not everyone is offended by utterances of certain "curse" words anymore.

Vdeane, I found this of Sailor Moon's co-characters Sailors Venus and Mars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1-_eJ9fvuM

Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.