News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

10 Games That Came Out in 1998 That Will Make You Say ‘You’re So Old’

Started by ZLoth, January 16, 2018, 03:33:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

From Green Man Gaming:

10 Games That Came Out in 1998 That Will Make You Say "˜You're So Old'
QuoteI am old.

Not, old old. But old enough. Old to remember no internet, to remember tape decks for my Commodore, to remember the Megadrive coming out, to remember Maggie Thatcher being in power.

So probably older than most of you reading this.

I recently covered ten games that came out in 2008, because time is horrible and frankly I can't believe it's been ten years since Mirror's Edge came out.

Now I'm going to take a look a bit further back into the depths of time, and see what came out in 1998. No doubt I'll have an even worse reaction and go "˜oh hell no, no way is that twenty years old' a lot, and you reading this will probably go "˜ha ha that came out before I was born' or something./quote]
FULL ARTICLE HERE
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Max Rockatansky

The funny part to me is that I'm 35 and I haven't played a single one of those games.  I had a PS1 at the time but I largely just played my N64, SNES, Genesis, and NES.  I'd buy a new game now or then but usually it was either an RPG or fighting game.  At some point in my 20s I just stopped caring and didn't buy anymore games.  Given how culture tended to turn with gaming becoming a completely mainstream thing that really tends to me me feel old by the standards of the times.

LM117

I never played those from 1998, either. My favorite game that came out in 1998 was The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, though I didn't get the N64 or the game until Christmas 1999.

As for 2008, I played some of GTA IV, but I didn't care for it. GTA V shits all over IV, IMO.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: LM117 on January 16, 2018, 08:47:41 AM
I never played those from 1998, either. My favorite game that came out in 1998 was The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, though I didn't get the N64 or the game until Christmas 1999.

As for 2008, I played some of GTA IV, but I didn't care for it. GTA V shits all over IV, IMO.

Weird thing is that I played Majora's Mask first.  When I got Ocarina it Time I ended up playing it through to the end on a weekend.   Great game but I thought it was pretty easy by Zelda standards. 

inkyatari

I've played World of Goo and Left 4 Dead.

Galloping Ghost Arcade in Brookfield, IL has a Left 4 Dead arcade machine.  It's a bit of as kludge, control wise.

I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

kphoger

I've heard of exactly one of them.  I keep clicking on these article links, hoping to find real games, not just a bunch of video games.

Thread titles should say "10 Video Games That Came Out..."
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

LM117

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 16, 2018, 09:40:30 AM

Weird thing is that I played Majora's Mask first.  When I got Ocarina it Time I ended up playing it through to the end on a weekend.   Great game but I thought it was pretty easy by Zelda standards.

I didn't care much for Majora's Mask. It just didn't have the same appeal to me that OoT did. I agree that OoT is pretty easy, though the Water Temple was a pain in the ass because of having to constantly change boots. Dark Link kicked my ass the first couple of times I fought him. Another issue was trying to turn Kotake and Koume's attacks against each other in the Spirit Temple. The fight was much easier once they became Twinrova.

That said, I think the scene where Ganondorf busts through what's left of his castle after it's collapse and transforming into Ganon is one of the most badass scenes ever, IMO. :biggrin:

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: LM117 on January 16, 2018, 01:25:38 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 16, 2018, 09:40:30 AM

I didn't care much for Majora's Mask. It just didn't have the same appeal to me that OoT did. I agree that OoT is pretty easy, though the Water Temple was a pain in the ass because of having to constantly change boots. Dark Link kicked my ass the first couple of times I fought him. Another issue was trying to turn Kotake and Koume's attacks against each other in the Spirit Temple. The fight was much easier once they became Twinrova.

That said, I think the scene where Ganondorf busts through what's left of his castle after it's collapse and transforming into Ganon is one of the most badass scenes ever, IMO. :biggrin:

I was having some issues with Dark Link when I first played.  For whatever reason I decided to break out the Megaton Hammer and it just went through his defenses like it was nothing.  The boss of the water level and the hook shot ascent to the room was way more difficult I thought.  The puzzles in Ocarina were way more intuitive than they were in Majora.  Majora did more creative things but really is just a mod for Ocarina.

7/8

The 1998 game I grew up with is Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit on PS1. I didn't actually play it in 1998 though, since my family didn't get a PSone until 2000. In 1998, I was playing Sonic the Hedgehog on the Sega Genesis :).

I was hoping to mention Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage, but apparently that came out in 1999. More recently, I've bought Final Fantasy Tactics and Metal Gear Solid which both came out in 1998.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on January 16, 2018, 11:46:53 AM
I've heard of exactly one of them.  I keep clicking on these article links, hoping to find real games, not just a bunch of video games.

Thread titles should say "10 Video Games That Came Out..."
I don't like you anymore :-( :-( :-( :-( :-(
I have never played any of these games. The oldest games that I have played are Super Mario 64(1996), and Super Mario Bros (1985), both on the Wii U virtual console.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.