News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

1939 Manhattan street scenes in HD color! And oh! the cars!!!

Started by berberry, June 05, 2013, 08:23:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

berberry

This footage apparently came to light only recently, after the death of a professional Paris photographer who shot it while on holiday in New York.  The HD transfer is from 16mm Kodachrome original, and captures scenes of both street life in general and the automobiles of the day in particular.  The word 'beautiful' doesn't go far enough!

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

DeaconG

Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

allniter89

BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

Road Hog

Found this German-made film of 1939 Manhattan. Shot in B&W and in the middle of winter, which gives it a much more dreary feel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=X-phmEvB91k

Zmapper

I have seen this video thrice already at other sites, and I am still in complete awe. What a great discovery.  :clap:

mgk920

Definitely KEWL!

:nod:

And, IMHO, Kodachrome (R.I.P.  :-( ) was one of the very BEST things to ever happen to photography!  Those still look like they were shot last week!

Mike

Zmapper

Laura

Quote from: Zmapper on June 07, 2013, 04:13:21 PM
It was removed due to a copyright claim!  :banghead:

Sadness! Does anyone else know where I can find it?
Quote from: Zmapper on June 07, 2013, 12:51:47 AM
I have seen this video thrice already at other sites

Where?

Zmapper

Quote from: Laura Bianca on June 13, 2013, 02:00:09 AM

Where?
Elsewhere on the web. A few news sites had the same Youtube video posted in a story.

Henry

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

NE2

This video has been removed by the user.
Sorry about that.
Quote from: Henry on June 13, 2013, 10:43:00 AM
That's quite amazing!
OK, I think this proves that Henry's a sycophant.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

berberry

Quote from: Laura Bianca on June 13, 2013, 02:00:09 AM

Where?

Yes.  Sorry, it's only SD, not HD, but the quality is still good and it's the exact same film.  Apparently NBC holds the rights.  Note that once the film begins you can increase size in the NBC player by double-clicking, and quality by clicking 'wifi'.

A feature I didn't mention before but should have is the beautiful skyline shots that close the film, taken from the observation deck of the then-new RCA bldg.  Just stunning!

Here's the link:

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/rock-center/52142990

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.