News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

HI: 2011 conversion of one-lane Wailua River bridge in Kauai to two lanes

Started by oscar, April 17, 2014, 11:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscar

In 2011, one notorious bottleneck on HI 56 (Kuhio Highway) north of Lihue, at the Wailua River crossing was finally fixed, by converting a one-lane cane haul bridge that carried a single northbound lane into a two-lane northbound bridge.  That eliminated the need to contraflow one lane on what's now a two-lane southbound-only bridge.  (Other bottlenecks and contraflows remain, so traffic on the east side of Kauai remains a mess.  But the remaining three-lane segments are all on dry land, so Hawaii DOT has to use different excuses for their continued existence.)

Here's one of the photos I took of the underside of the newly-widened northbound bridge, showing how the old one-lane bridge was widened without a prolonged closure (I don't know how long the old bridge was closed for the project).  Basically, cantilever supports were attached to each side of the old bridge and its piers, then a prefabricated new bridge structure was placed atop the old bridge and new supports.  A parallel pedestrian/bike walkway was also added, cantilevered off the right side (toward the ocean) of the widened bridge.

One side effect is that the northbound lanes are noticeably higher than the southbound lanes, as shown in this photo taken between the bridges from the north shore of the river (the northbound bridge is to the left):

my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

kurumi

Does that mean this "split" of the northbound lanes is no longer in place?

(Photo taken in 2002)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

oscar

my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Alps

One of the rare times I actually took photos that show the road, and not just signs and bridges...
www.alpsroads.net/roads/hi/hi_56

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.