News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Misheard song lyrics

Started by golden eagle, December 18, 2014, 07:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete from Boston

In The Who's "You Better You Bet" I always heard the second part of "You better love me all the time now/You better shove me back into line now" as "You better show me that kid's alive now," like some kind of challenge of claimed paternity.   

bandit957

Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 14, 2015, 09:37:13 PM
In The Who's "You Better You Bet" I always heard the second part of "You better love me all the time now/You better shove me back into line now" as "You better show me that kid's alive now," like some kind of challenge of claimed paternity.

I remember the line where I thought they said, "Your dog keeps picking my nose."
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

bandit957

I bet nobody can name the song that produced this misheard lyric: "I put a booger in your root beer..."
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

vtk

Not sure if I mentioned this one yet or not, but that song "Panama" (Guessing that's by Van Halen? Too lazy to look it up.) I always heard as "Cannonball".
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

mgk920

In the song 'Blinded By the Light' by Manfred Mann (mentioned upthread), the correct lyrics is "revved up like a deuce".  A 'deuce' is a style of heavily modified street rod, usually using a pre-WWII two-door sedan or coupe as the base vehicle.

Also, in the song '1979' by Smashing Pumpkins, those are not definable words at all, just a repetitive form of vocal scat.

Mike

hbelkins

I always heard that line toward the end of Chicago's "(I've Been) Searchin' So Long" as "question of life," and it was not until I heard a live version that I realized it was "question, 'Who am I?'"

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Takumi

Quote from: vtk on January 15, 2015, 09:11:53 AM
Not sure if I mentioned this one yet or not, but that song "Panama" (Guessing that's by Van Halen? Too lazy to look it up.) I always heard as "Cannonball".

Yeah, Van Halen, during the good years *ducks for cover*. When I first heard it I thought he said "animal". Another Roth-led Van Halen song I misheard the lyrics to was "Unchained". The chorus goes "Change, nothing stays the same, unchained". I heard "Change, nothing stays the same but change" at first.

There's a song that I think is by either The Police or Sting that plays at work sometimes, and the line I keep hearing in the chorus is "Larry (?) ain't a poor man". This is apparently not the lyrics, since the Goog didn't turn anything up for that when I searched. Anyone know what the lyrics are I'm mishearing?
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

OCGuy81

Anybody mention Jimi Hendrix "Purple Haze" yet?

'scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

I also think in "We Will Rock You" by Queen they say

Kickin your cat all over the place

spooky

Quote from: Takumi on January 15, 2015, 01:10:22 PM

Yeah, Van Halen, during the good years *ducks for cover*. When I first heard it I thought he said "animal". Another Roth-led Van Halen song I misheard the lyrics to was "Unchained". The chorus goes "Change, nothing stays the same, unchained". I heard "Change, nothing stays the same but change" at first.

There's a song that I think is by either The Police or Sting that plays at work sometimes, and the line I keep hearing in the chorus is "Larry (?) ain't a poor man". This is apparently not the lyrics, since the Goog didn't turn anything up for that when I searched. Anyone know what the lyrics are I'm mishearing?

I'm going to guess "Canary In A Coal Mine".

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Pete from Boston

Yeah, Van Halen, during the good years *ducks for cover*. When I first heard it I thought he said "animal".

When it came out, I heard "many more."

QuoteThere's a song that I think is by either The Police or Sting that plays at work sometimes, and the line I keep hearing in the chorus is "Larry (?) ain't a poor man". This is apparently not the lyrics, since the Goog didn't turn anything up for that when I searched. Anyone know what the lyrics are I'm mishearing?

"Canary in a coalmine."

vtk

"Change, nothing stays the same, unchained".

I always thought that was "Change, nothing stays the same; aww change, [something?] hit the ground running..."

PHLBOS

Quote from: OCGuy81 on January 15, 2015, 01:38:53 PMI also think in "We Will Rock You" by Queen they say

Kickin your cat all over the place
I was thinking the same thing when I first heard that song when it debuted in 1977.

When I first heard the old 50s tune At The Hop! (after seeing American Graffiti when it was re-released in 1978); I thought one line was sung:
Where the jock itch is the smoothest and the music is the coolest at the hop.

Actual lyric:
Where the jockey is the smoothest and the music is the coolest at the hop.

Another lyric from then same song:
When the record stops spinnin', you can listen with a chicken at the hop.

Actual lyric:
When the record stops spinnin', you can chalypso when you chicken at the hop.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

J Route Z

I'm all about the bass no trouble.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: J Route Z on January 15, 2015, 11:10:01 PM

About half the people I've heard mention or sing this line do so as you wrote it.

roadman65

Quote from: cl94 on January 14, 2015, 07:33:05 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on January 14, 2015, 11:44:31 AM
I used to think that Quite Riot's Cum On Feel The Noise used to say "Girls fuck your boys" instead of what it really says "Girls rock your boys."

They mean the same thing, but one doesn't anger the censors.
Just like You Shook Me All Night Long by AC DC.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Henry

Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 16, 2015, 08:59:38 AM

Quote from: J Route Z on January 15, 2015, 11:10:01 PM

About half the people I've heard mention or sing this line do so as you wrote it.
Including my daughter, who likes to sing along to the radio each time she's listening!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

hbelkins

OK, so count me as probably the only person in the world who's never heard that "All About The Bass" song.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cl94

Quote from: hbelkins on January 16, 2015, 02:06:28 PM
OK, so count me as probably the only person in the world who's never heard that "All About The Bass" song.

Consider yourself lucky. I heard people blasting it 4 times during my flights home from TRBAM today. Worse than Taylor Swift's gazillion breakup songs.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

vtk

It's very new. I don't think I've heard it either, but I've seen many references to it in social media.  Kind of like how I had seen many people talk about Call Me Maybe before I finally heard it (and then I was surprised it was a female lead).

cl94

Quote from: vtk on January 16, 2015, 08:11:22 PM

It's very new. I don't think I've heard it either, but I've seen many references to it in social media.  Kind of like how I had seen many people talk about Call Me Maybe before I finally heard it (and then I was surprised it was a female lead).

Click if you dare. Thinking about it makes my ears bleed.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Zeffy

And you don't want to either. Ugh mainstream music nowadays...
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

vtk

Yeah, adult contemporary is usually pretty bad.  People don't want to listen to the crappy music that came out months ago, so they're stuck with whatever crappy music was just released in the last few weeks.  Maybe once or twice a year there's a song good enough to cross over to the mix stations and play along with the good old stuff for a while.

bulldog1979

I'm surprised no one here has heard of the name for misheard song lyrics. They're called Mondegreens.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: Zeffy on January 16, 2015, 08:18:17 PM

And you don't want to either. Ugh mainstream music nowadays...

Since I have friends that like modern music, and since I have an Instagram account, I have unfortunately heard about that disaster of a song, but fortunately have never driven myself to actually listen to it. One time I was in the kitchen and I came across my mom listening to that song and singing the lyrics out loud. Lord knows that was the weirdest stare I'd ever done at her.  :rofl:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.