News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Misheard song lyrics

Started by golden eagle, December 18, 2014, 07:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete from Boston

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on January 16, 2015, 11:37:26 PMSince I have friends that like modern music, and since I have an Instagram account, I have unfortunately heard about that disaster of a song, but fortunately have never driven myself to actually listen to it. One time I was in the kitchen and I came across my mom listening to that song and singing the lyrics out loud. Lord knows that was the weirdest stare I'd ever done at her.  :rofl:

Hey, you can't argue with catchy.  I was stuck on it for a week last summer (it's not all that "very new" anymore) and I'm a giant music snob.

Quote from: Zeffy on January 16, 2015, 08:18:17 PMUgh mainstream music nowadays...

Damn kids today!  And get off my lawn!

golden eagle

I initially thought it was "trouble'', until I made the connection of bass and treble.

roadman65

I used to always think that You Really Got Me by The Kinks had the line which  said "Girl you really got me going" was that, but when I heard Van Halen's cover version I actually thought I heard it wrong as VH changed the line to "Girl you really got me now."  Then when I checked out the original, I then discovered I did hear it correctly.

Also if you listen to A Day In The Life by The Beatles, it sounds like John Lennon singing the line "He was really from the house of Lords" as "He was really from the house of God."  However, that is just a fluke in the recording as John Lennon was a  well known Atheist, so I very hardly doubt that he would be purposely singing "God" and disguising it as "Lords" to sell more records.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Pete from Boston

The common mishearing/joke about "You Really Got Me" is the alternate interpretation "Gorilla Got Me," also the name of Boston's finest garage rock radio show. 

wxfree

Edge of Seventeen by Stevie Nicks
Actual lyrics: a flood of tears That no one really ever heard fall at all
Somehow misheard as: a flood of T&A...

Speaking of T&A, that reminds me of a song from the 90s, in the pre-Google era.  I forget what the song was, but it sounded like it was referring to a really strange sex act.

Song unknown (male singer)
Actual lyrics unknown
Lyrics misheard as: I've had a lot of titties up in my ass
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

bandit957

Quote from: wxfree on January 17, 2015, 11:33:32 PM

I always misheard it as "No one really ever heard you fart at all."
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

vtk

That song from a few years ago which may or may not be called "crash into me" is surprisingly sexual if you listen to the lyrics. The repeated line "hike up your skirt a little more; show your world to me" is just as lecherous as it sounds out of context.  But that line sounds especially effed up when it's misheard as "hike up your skirt little boy; show your world to me", as I thought it was the first time I paid attention to the lyrics.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

roadman65

At least nowadays many artists if they want to convey political or sexual topics come right out and say it.  I may not agree with their agenda, but at least they are straight forward about it you have to admit.

Sheryl Crowe

vtk

Michael Jackson's "Beach Party Summer" sounds really upbeat... until you pay attention to the lyrics and figure out it's not "beach party summer".

(and then it's like the song has a stroke. mama say mama saw m'ma moo saw, mama say mama saw m'momm usa...)
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

bandit957

Quote from: vtk on February 01, 2015, 09:13:24 AM
Michael Jackson's "Beach Party Summer" sounds really upbeat... until you pay attention to the lyrics and figure out it's not "beach party summer".

(and then it's like the song has a stroke. mama say mama saw m'ma moo saw, mama say mama saw m'momm usa...)

Is this "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'"? I was just thinking about this song yesterday. I always thought it was ridiculous that he yelled out "Hee ha!" at random points in the song. I used to think it was a reference to 'Hee Haw'.

roadman65

Michael Jackson was indeed the King of Pop, but some of his music always got to me why he was singing it as it never fit his own MO.

Like hearing him sing with Paul McCartney in one song where both are having a friendly argument over a girl is one prime example.  I think its mainly the beat that people get into not paying attention to what is said, but of course this one other song he did as duet with McCartney was a ballad so the beat did not stand out as much as the lyrics did.

AC/DC has also good songs I like for the rock sound, however when I heard the lyrics to Hells Bells it is supporting things I do not believe in personally.  So I can understand how you can love a song for its sound when the lyrics to it can be so controversial.

Sheryl Crowe

mgk920

Quote from: roadman65 on February 01, 2015, 02:51:54 PM
Michael Jackson was indeed the King of Pop, but some of his music always got to me why he was singing it as it never fit his own MO.

Like hearing him sing with Paul McCartney in one song where both are having a friendly argument over a girl is one prime example.  I think its mainly the beat that people get into not paying attention to what is said, but of course this one other song he did as duet with McCartney was a ballad so the beat did not stand out as much as the lyrics did.

AC/DC has also good songs I like for the rock sound, however when I heard the lyrics to Hells Bells it is supporting things I do not believe in personally.  So I can understand how you can love a song for its sound when the lyrics to it can be so controversial.

What about 'Big Balls'?

:wow:

Mike

OCGuy81

Even Flow by Pearl Jam

I thought it was :

Blleeeee bub aga magga dagga something something teethin

It's actually:

Freezin', rests his head on a pillow made of concrete, again :bigass:

OracleUsr

Here are a few of mine:
(wrong lyric in quotes right in italics)
"She's so funky yeah"
jeux sans frontieres

(from Peter Gabriel's song "Games without Frontiers"--the correct lyric is the French translation of the title)

"I ain't at your corner anymore"
I ain't in Checotah anymore
(from Carrie Underwood's "I Ain't in Checotah Anymore" singing about her hometown of Checotah, OK)
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

roadman65

Does anyone remember a group in the 80's called Accept?  If so their one and only hit then was Balls to The Wall.  I do imagine that song title and chorus line of the song was talking about part of the male anatomy in metaphor.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

Quote from: roadman65 on February 03, 2015, 06:52:50 AM
Does anyone remember a group in the 80's called Accept?  If so their one and only hit then was Balls to The Wall.  I do imagine that song title and chorus line of the song was talking about part of the male anatomy in metaphor.

I loved Accept. "Balls to the Wall" was the first song of theirs I ever heard, but they had some other really good stuff, like the "Restless and Wild" and "Metal Heart" albums.

And their singer had one of the best heavy metal names ever -- Udo Dirkschneider. He left them for awhile but returned.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

gilpdawg

Quote from: golden eagle on December 18, 2014, 07:06:30 PM
We all sang along to songs thinking that we were singing the correct lyrics, only to find out later that we had it wrong. For instance "The Promise" by When In Rome:

Actual lyric: I'm sorry, but I'm just thinking of the right words to say.

What I used to think they said: I'm sure but I'm just thinking that the ride was safe.

Another one, from "Every Breath You Take":

Actualy lyric: How my poor heart aches with every step you take.

What I used to think they said: I'm a fool of heartaches with every step you take.
I used to know a guy who thought that line in Every Breath You Take was "I'm a pool hall ace."

VS980 4G

gilpdawg

Quote from: hbelkins on February 03, 2015, 03:02:15 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on February 03, 2015, 06:52:50 AM

I loved Accept. "Balls to the Wall" was the first song of theirs I ever heard, but they had some other really good stuff, like the "Restless and Wild" and "Metal Heart" albums.

And their singer had one of the best heavy metal names ever -- Udo Dirkschneider. He left them for awhile but returned.
Fast as a Shark!

Udo is out again. Mark Tornillo of TT Quick is their singer now. Their new stuff is great.

VS980 4G

texaskdog

Quote from: mgk920 on January 15, 2015, 10:41:31 AM
In the song 'Blinded By the Light' by Manfred Mann (mentioned upthread), the correct lyrics is "revved up like a deuce".  A 'deuce' is a style of heavily modified street rod, usually using a pre-WWII two-door sedan or coupe as the base vehicle.

Also, in the song '1979' by Smashing Pumpkins, those are not definable words at all, just a repetitive form of vocal scat.

Mike

It sounds like "wrecked up like a douche" but the original Springsteen song is clearly "cut loose like a deuce"

Henry

Quote from: bandit957 on January 18, 2015, 12:57:27 AM
Quote from: wxfree on January 17, 2015, 11:33:32 PM

I always misheard it as "No one really ever heard you fart at all."
In the chorus, I often misheard the words "white-winged dove" as "wild Ranger" and wondered why the Ranger was a female.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

bandit957

I thought of another one, this time in Tom Petty's "Learning To Fly". The actual line is, "Rocks might melt and the sea may burn." But I always thought he said, "Rocks might melt, we may see Big Bird."

wxfree

Fleetwood Mac, Seven Wonders

Actual lyrics: Ooh, it might work out some day

Misheard as: Ooh, what if I put out some day

In some cases, those may not be really different things.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Brian556

quote from roadman65:

Yes. I have that song.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: freebrickproductions on January 25, 2015, 10:29:13 PM
I can't have been the only one who thought of this song, right? :pan:

Until I saw this post, I thought they sang 'A house in the middle of the street' instead of 'Our house in the middle of our street'.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

kendancy66

I always misunderstood the chorus on REM song from album Murmur called Catapult.   I hear "cattle prod" instead

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.