News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Most Beautiful Bridge

Started by Voyager, January 18, 2009, 08:13:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voyager

For some reason I really like the Nippon Clip-on Auckland Harbor Bridge:

Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

njroadhorse

My personal favorite is the Main Street Bridge in Jacksonville, FL
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

algorerhythms

I'm somewhat surprised the New River Gorge Bridge hasn't come up yet.

deathtopumpkins

Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

agentsteel53

The Bay Bridge.  The Golden Gate Bridge's underappreciated cousin.  I think it's just as lovely; it just happens to not have as many optimal vantage points.

large version: http://www.artistjake.com/lj/DSC_3666A.jpg
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alex

And that is my new wallpaper!

akotchi

I hope to get half as good a shot of that bridge when I go out there in May!  Wow, that is beautiful . . .
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Voyager

deathtopumpkins

Ooh... nice Bay Bridge shot! I think that's pushing the Golden Gate's monopoly on good pictures.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

agentsteel53

Bay Bridge is hard to get good photos of because Yerba Buena Island is swarming with all kinds of authorities and prohibitions about where you can't go and how quickly you must cease to exist ... there is a piece of the island that is marked as a Coast Guard station, and I respect their property, but to put up, all around the other parts of the island, all sorts of hideous warning signs about how trespassing is going to cost you three arms, four legs, and a penis ... that's just savage. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Voyager

Yup, only good place they usually let you get photos is from Treasure Island.

Another bridge I like:

Anonymity Lane

(I know, old thread, but I figure it's okay to post in seeing as how it's on the first page and all)

I've only ever been on it once (2005), but I'm partial to the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. Its beauty is heightened to me by the fact that it looks like it has so much space to itself, it's otherwise wide open water.

corco

The Rainbow Bridge in Idaho- it blends so well with the surrounding setting

(photo credit NSBP)

Anonymity Lane

That one is rather cool-looking, I've never seen it until today.

english si

The Ballyshannon bypass bridge in Ireland looks good during the day, but better at night

However, Chenonceau is probably my favourite one that I've been across.

MDOTFanFB

It would have to be between the Ambassador Bridge between I-75/I-96 in Detroit and ON 3 in Windsor, ON and the Veteran's Glass City Skyway on I-280 in Toledo, OH, though I've only crossed the latter. The former is a suspension bridge built in 1929, the latter a cable-stayed bridge built in 2007.

SteveG1988

1926 Ben Franklin Bridge. Beautiful at night and during the day. Impressive due to it being a bridge that was planned to carry a variety of traffic from the start, rail,Streetcar(never used but planned),Pedestrian, and normal cars
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

mightyace

For me it's covered bridges.

I'm sorry I don't have a picture at the moment.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

algorerhythms

Ponte do Paiva in Recife, Brazil, is a rather beautiful bridge. The picture in the link shows the bridge while the highway leading to it was still under construction. When I was there in December, the highway was still partially under construction (the tollbooth on the approaching highway was completed, but north of the tollbooth the highway was a dirt road).

edit - and I should note that I didn't take that picture, I found it on Google Maps (didn't have my camera with me when we went to Cabo do Santo Augostinho). I did take a bunch of pictures of Boa Viagem, though those aren't as much of roadgeek interest.

aridawn

My two bridges I love are: 1. The Park Bridge on the trans-can 1 just east of Golden, BC

http://www.journalofcommerce.com/images/archivesid/24262/100.jpg

2. The Oresund Bridge between Denmark and Sweden

http://www.composedvolcano.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/o1.jpg

nexus73

The Golden Gate Bridge is the most iconic bridge on the planet IMO.  It's the Mona Lisa of bridges.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: mightyace on March 17, 2011, 02:34:05 AM
For me it's covered bridges.

I'm sorry I don't have a picture at the moment.

I spotted some videos of covered bridges located in Quebec, like that one in Fort-Coulonge in the Ottawa River valley

The longest covered bridge in Hartland, New Brunswick

1995hoo

I've always liked the Clifton Suspension Bridge (hey, that's me in the foreground back in April 2007).

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SteveG1988

One bridge i always liked the look of, despite its infamous reputation was the 1940 Tacoma Narrows Bridge. Yes it had a bad design in terms of deck width, and using solid girders. But at the same time they were just learning the techniques.

It just looks so graceful, the towers are not over the top on the art deco touches, fairly simple bridge.

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

papaT10932

It sounds a little cliche to choose such a famous bridge, but I do consider to George Washington to be the most beautiful. It's so graceful yet powerful. It speaks to American strength and symbolizes an era when this country embraced its power and potential.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.