News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Old songs you can't identify

Started by bandit957, November 04, 2019, 10:56:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

There are a lot of April Wine songs I like, but this tongue-in-cheek one always got me.

There's a song that I've always tried to figure out the title and artist, but failed miserably. Back in the mid-1990s, Rush Limbaugh used it for one of his bumper tunes. It sounded a bit like Prong or Helmet, but was neither of those bands. I also don't think it was Tool. No list of bumper music from his show I've ever seen contained anything that could possibly be it, and a number of those unofficial lists that existed on fan pages in the early days of the Web are now in the digital ether.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bandit957

Anyone remember this one?

Oh la oh la ay
(Oh la oh la ay)
Oh lee oh lee oh yo yo
(Oh lee oh lee oh yo yo)
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

LilianaUwU

I think this one is a no brainer.

"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

bandit957

There was a song that was probably from the 1960s (oldies stations used to play it) where the melody sounded just like the theme music for National Geographic specials. Anyone else remember this?

Takumi

Finally found this song after 20+ years of not knowing what it was called. Just remembered the sample.
https://youtu.be/lVL-zZnD3VU
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Mapmikey

Quote from: bandit957 on July 26, 2021, 08:16:45 PM
There was a song that was probably from the 1960s (oldies stations used to play it) where the melody sounded just like the theme music for National Geographic specials. Anyone else remember this?

At least part of the NG theme melody made this 1960s song pop into my head: 
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jf-cCL3TOCo

allniter89

Quote from: hbelkins on June 10, 2021, 07:47:01 PM
There are a lot of April Wine songs I like, but this tongue-in-cheek one always got me.

There's a song that I've always tried to figure out the title and artist, but failed miserably. Back in the mid-1990s, Rush Limbaugh used it for one of his bumper tunes. It sounded a bit like Prong or Helmet, but was neither of those bands. I also don't think it was Tool. No list of bumper music from his show I've ever seen contained anything that could possibly be it, and a number of those unofficial lists that existed on fan pages in the early days of the Web are now in the digital ether.
Maybe a song by the Pretenders named Ohio?
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

amroad17

I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

hbelkins

^^^

That was the theme song, played at the beginning of every hour. For awhile, when they were in a licensing dispute, he tried a few other songs. My favorite was Ted Nugent's "Stranglehold."

But that's not the song I'm thinking of. This was a bumper song, bringing him back from a commercial, that started off with a heavy riff that repeated two or three times. I've never heard it except when it was used as bumper music on that show in the mid to late 1990s.

bandit957

Quote from: hbelkins on August 30, 2021, 04:38:26 PMBut that's not the song I'm thinking of. This was a bumper song, bringing him back from a commercial, that started off with a heavy riff that repeated two or three times. I've never heard it except when it was used as bumper music on that show in the mid to late 1990s.

I think it was an Alan Parsons Project track that some stations played together with "Eye In The Sky."

bwana39

Quote from: bandit957 on November 06, 2019, 12:01:10 AM
Another one I remember is a song with a line about "dirty water." This was probably in the '70s, so it was not the '80s song "Dirty Water" that MTV played.

Black Water by Doobie Brothers?
Holy Water by Bad Company?
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

renegade

Quote from: bandit957 on August 30, 2021, 05:55:41 PM
I think it was an Alan Parsons Project track that some stations played together with "Eye In The Sky."
That part of that particular song is called "Sirius."
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

hbelkins

Quote from: renegade on August 31, 2021, 02:42:31 PM

And it's not the song I'm looking for.

amroad17

Quote from: hbelkins on August 31, 2021, 09:03:19 PM
Quote from: renegade on August 31, 2021, 02:42:31 PM

And it's not the song I'm looking for.
Could it be "Need You Tonight" by INXS?
https://youtu.be/Swdbv5I6qzc

I went on google.com, typed in Rush Limbaugh bumper music, and there is a Spotify list of most, if not all, his Bumper Rotation Music (from the Grooveyard of Forgotten Favorites).  If my guess isn't correct, perhaps you could look on that list for that particular song you are looking for.  You would need an account to play that music, though--which is why I went to YouTube to upload the song.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

hbelkins

No, that's not it. I had that CD long before I ever heard of Rush Limbaugh.

It's definitely a heavy metal or grunge type of song. Again, think Tool, Helmet, Prong, or similar bands.

I don't have a paid Spotify account. I did the trial version for awhile (mainly to see if I could record albums and convert them to MP3s, but there were line level issues so that didn't work too well). If my free account will let me access that playlist, I may give it a try.

This was such a long time ago, though -- back around 1995 or 96 or so -- that the list may not go back that far.

bwana39

Another one I remember is a song with a line about "dirty water." This was probably in the '70s, so it was not the '80s song "Dirty Water" that MTV played.

Dirty Water by Canadian band Rock and Hyde (early band of superstar producer Bob Rock)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5ItVZYCcNo

bandit957

Quote from: bwana39 on October 05, 2021, 10:21:01 PM

Dirty Water by Canadian band Rock and Hyde (early band of superstar producer Bob Rock)

This is the one MTV played a lot around 1987. The other "Dirty Water" I was thinking of was probably late '70s.

webny99

I guess this is as good a thread as any to ask... nevermind what's going on in the video, does anyone know what song is playing in the background? 

Never mind, found it!

hbelkins

I saw someone post on Facebook about an "earworm" stuck in their mind, and someone responded that Google Assistant has a Shazam-like feature where you can hum a few bars and it will try to figure out the song. Anyone ever heard of, or used, that feature?

bandit957

Quote from: capt.ron on April 04, 2021, 01:43:13 PM
A recurring jazzy sounding tune that I heard back in the day was found in a bunch of educational shorts produced in the mid 1970's up to the early 1980's. It was a rather jazzy piece with a swing beat. Key of D major, had a flute which was the lead instrument. It had piano and drums too. I heard the musical piece numerous times and by the early 1980's it has dropped off into obscurity. Its closest counterpart would be "Welcome back" by John Sebastian. No, it wasn't Welcome Back but it sounded very similar.

Pretty sure I found it in an old 'Sesame Street' segment about a guide dog:

bwana39

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5apEctKwiD8

The Standells - Dirty Water  (Circa 1960's)

Quote from: bwana39 on June 26, 2022, 11:02:13 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on October 05, 2021, 10:44:12 PM
Quote from: bwana39 on October 05, 2021, 10:21:01 PM

This is the one MTV played a lot around 1987. The other "Dirty Water" I was thinking of was probably late '70s.

HTM Duke

Quote from: hbelkins on October 14, 2021, 04:56:26 PM
I saw someone post on Facebook about an "earworm" stuck in their mind, and someone responded that Google Assistant has a Shazam-like feature where you can hum a few bars and it will try to figure out the song. Anyone ever heard of, or used, that feature?

Just checked, and it does exist.  Did a quick test, and while Assistant did return "In the Navy" as the top result, it only had a 6% match, though that's probably more due to my humming than the tech.
List of routes: Traveled | Clinched

nexus73

Quote from: Road Hog on June 10, 2021, 07:06:31 PM
Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on March 20, 2021, 09:02:10 AM
Quote from: bandit957 on March 14, 2021, 04:22:56 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 14, 2021, 04:21:10 PM
One that keeps bugging me is this song with a very loud computerized wah-wah-esque intro. I hear it fairly frequently at sporting events.

Probably "Rock & Roll (Part 2)" by Gary Glitter. It was a big hit in the 1970s.

i always thought that was just a denver thing...

as an interesting aside... 'the timelords' aka 'klf' remixed it, with some doctor who music, made a cool song of it. i'd post a link but it took 10 minutes just to load THIS page... look up 'doctorin the tardis'
The absolute LAST place I expected a post about The Timelords / KLF / Justified Ancients of Mu Mu was on a road board.

The song you mention was the stuff in late 1988 / early 1989. You're right, they took the Gary Glitter beat and mixed in a couple of licks from The Sweet's "Blockbuster" as well as the Doctor Who theme. Those lads were right odd ducks.

What time is love?  It's 3 AM eternal....LOL! 

I love KLF.  "Last Train To Trancentral" is such a rocker.  Great video too!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

bandit957

I just thought of one.

"She's everywhere..."

This was a female rock vocal along the lines of Pat Benatar or Quarterflash. The only part I can remember is the opening line: "She's everywhere..." I think it was around late 1983 or early 1984.

bandit957

Anyone remember an Elton John song that they played some on the radio but apparently wasn't released a single? I think it was from the mid-'70s. I have no idea what it was called.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.