News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Bridges you've walked across

Started by kurumi, June 03, 2010, 12:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hurricane Rex

Both of the major Wenatchee bridges.
Hawthorne and Steel Bridges in Portland
Yaquina bridge in Newport.

SM-J737T

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

ipeters61

I've walked on...

• "Frog Bridge," Willimantic (CT)
  • CT-2, Founders Bridge, Hartford/East Hartford (CT)
  • I-84/US-6/US-44, Bulkeley Bridge, Hartford/East Hartford (CT)
  • CT-66/17, Arrigoni Bridge, Middletown/Portland (CT)
  • PA-179/NJ-179, New Hope/Lambertville Bridge, New Hope/Lambertville (PA/NJ)
  • Washington Street Bridge, Wilmington (DE)
  • DE-1, Indian River Inlet Bridge, Bethany Beach (DE)
  • I-264, Berkley Bridge, Norfolk (VA)
  • I-26/I-240/US-19/US-23/US-74 Alt, Captain Bowen Bridge, Asheville (NC)
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

planxtymcgillicuddy

The Mile High Swinging Bridge at Grandfather Mountain, NC and the two bridges that are less than a mile from my house, neither of which have names.
It's easy to be easy when you're easy...

Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 27, 2021, 02:39:12 PM
Whats a Limon, and does it go well with gin?

bulldog1979

Quote from: bulldog1979 on September 26, 2010, 04:44:16 AM
As any good Michiganian, I've walked the Mackinac Bridge several times now. As a resident of the Grand Rapids area now, I've walked on several of the bridges across the Grand River

One of my favorites to walk across though is the Steel Bridge on County Road 510 (old M-35) in Marquette County. It's a Pennsylvania through truss bridge moved from the Allegheny River to cross the Dead River in Marquette County. The one-lane bridge is still there, although later this fall the county road commission will be opening a replacement span just upriver. The original span will be closed to vehicles but retained for non-motorized traffic.

As seen in 1922 when the road was still M-35:

265 ft. High Truss Bridge, Dead River near Marquette on Trunk Line No. 35.
Negaunee Township, Marquette County. 52001

As of this morning, I can also add the International Bridge at Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan—Ontario to the list of bridges I've walked across.

tolbs17

The old Tar River bridge that used to be on Greene St, and it got moved to Town Commons park where it leads to the neighborhoods east of it. It's fun walking over there!

It's in Greenville, NC.

ozarkman417

This bridge was a popular bridge for Pedestrians but has been closed down due to safety concerns. The City said it was temporary but it's been 2-3 years. Jefferson Ave Footbridge, Springfield.

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.2300593,-93.289535,3a,48.9y,27.95h,95.6t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sDImuD0AlsEbM0u6B4_i9tg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Beltway

The Chesapeake Bay Bridge Walk, in 1987. 
Walk the 4.3 miles across the bridge and then be transported back on a transit bus.

http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

kennyshark

Finally conquered the Mackinac Bridge yesterday during the Labor Day Bridge Walk.  Major accomplishment for me not just for the 5 miles of walking, but conquering some of my demons.

The first few times I went over the bridge, my wife had to drive it.  Since 2003, it's no big deal for me, provided I have my comfort music playing.

I still got the heebie-jeebies looking down thru the grated lanes.  I also liked the motorcycle cop who humorously advised walkers not to look down.

AlexandriaVA

Just a few hours ago (as I do every Tuesday) I did a round-trip circuit run from Pentagon City to the White House via the 14th Street bridge...

renegade

Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

zzcarp

In 2016 for my friends' rehearsal dinner we walked across the Lorain-Carnegie Bridge (Hope Memorial Bridge) in Cleveland back to our hotel. The coolest part is the "Guardians of Traffic" sculptures at the end. It also connects the West Side Market to Jacobs Field on the downtown side with a panoramic view of downtown.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hope_Memorial_Bridge

Street view:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4894754,-81.693394,3a,75y,31.97h,91.8t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sUGfaA4nPnO87g_94vL2twA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo1.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DUGfaA4nPnO87g_94vL2twA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D50.917118%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en
So many miles and so many roads

JMoses24

Since my last posting, I have walked across most of the Skydance Pedestrian Bridge in OKC. (The north end is closed for construction of the Scissortail Park.)

Max Rockatansky

I recently walked over the Wawona Covered Bridge while hiking out in Yosemite. 

Flint1979

Croswell Swinging Bridge - Croswell, Michigan

KEVIN_224

Main Street in New Britain, CT. It spans over CT Route 72, just before the split with CT Route 9.

cl94

I can add the Forth Road Bridge, Humber Bridge (part), and George Washington Bridge to the list of major bridges I have crossed on foot.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

KEVIN_224

I've crossed the Ben Franklin Bridge, back in February of 2012. Took 23 minutes with no stopping, coming back over from Camden, NJ into Philadelphia.

Rothman

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on March 30, 2020, 11:57:11 PM
I've crossed the Ben Franklin Bridge, back in February of 2012. Took 23 minutes with no stopping, coming back over from Camden, NJ into Philadelphia.
Wearing a bulletproof vest?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Beltway

Quote from: Rothman on March 31, 2020, 12:19:28 AM
Wearing a bulletproof vest?
Bring a police officer with you.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Roadrunner75

I've always wanted to do that, since I grew up in the area. Just never got around to it, and there's the logistical thing of parking nearby and still finding my car where I left it.  At least then I'd achieve the trifecta of driving across, taking PATCO and walking.

rlb2024

Memphis/Arkansas Bridge, Memphis, TN (when I was young and stupid)
Harahan Bridge, Memphis, TN
Tower Bridge, London, UK
Westminster Bridge, London, UK
St. Louis Bay Bridge, Bay St. Louis, MS
Pensacola Beach Toll Bridge, FL

KEVIN_224

This white boy survived! I'm good! (2/23/2012)

Buck87

I recently added 2 of the 3 Sisters in Pittsburgh, so here's my updated list of notable bridges

- Newport Southbank Bridge (Ohio River, Cincinnati)
- Taylor—Southgate Bridge (Ohio River, Cincinnati)
- Paso del Norte International Bridge (Rio Grande River, El Paso-Juarez)
- B & O Railroad Potomac River Crossing (Harpers Ferry)
- Burnside's Bridge (Antietam Creek)
- Liberty Bridge at Falls Park on the Reedy (Greenville, SC)
- Roberto Clemente/6th Street Bridge (Allegheny River, Pittsburgh)
- Andy Warhol/7th Street Bridge (Allegheny River, Pittsburgh)

formulanone

I can add the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma:

StogieGuy7

Not that I do this as a hobby, but two bridges that I have walked across are the Golden Gate Bridge (did a round trip) and the Tower Bridge in London.  Took the tour of the insides of the latter one and it was really interesting.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.