News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Fancy bridges in the middle of nowhere

Started by tolbs17, July 24, 2021, 10:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlsterner

Quote from: Flint1979 on August 11, 2021, 10:26:43 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on July 24, 2021, 10:39:13 PM
Why do some areas get fancy bridges in the middle of nowhere?

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.4829682,-78.2448685,3a,69.3y,268.18h,92.97t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s3_7Nid_4oaSdT22GUeZIUQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
What's so fancy about that bridge?
Earlier in the thread, a few weeks ago, the OP did try to justify his assertion.  Although at this point in time you may be waiting a while for the OP to reply.

froggie

Quote from: webny99 on August 11, 2021, 03:59:37 PM
MN 36 / WI 64 over the St. Croix River, Hudson, WI

Fancy, yes.  But I wouldn't call Stillwater the "middle of nowhere".

Your Penobscot Narrows example, on the other hand...yes that's pretty rural...

webny99

Quote from: froggie on August 12, 2021, 12:39:42 AM
Quote from: webny99 on August 11, 2021, 03:59:37 PM
MN 36 / WI 64 over the St. Croix River, Hudson, WI

Fancy, yes.  But I wouldn't call Stillwater the "middle of nowhere".

Maybe not Stillwater itself, but the bridge is sufficiently removed from town that it feels like the middle of nowhere, especially approaching from the Wisconsin side. But once on the Minnesota side, you realize that's not the case pretty quickly!

MCRoads

Quote from: kphoger on August 11, 2021, 04:49:35 PM
Quote from: MCRoads on August 11, 2021, 04:46:32 PM
But, I think that this bridge might take the cake.

More "middle of nowhere" than this one?

Yeah, I think you might've got me beat there...
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

sparker

Quote from: cbeach40 on August 10, 2021, 12:00:06 PM

https://goo.gl/maps/ELHJ4ZeiTMWFzEeX7

https://goo.gl/maps/CvYUKigiU2NtM3w77

https://goo.gl/maps/kKUWr5Kx7JCTsa9o8

Hey, it's the Trans-Canada -- nice to have some original bridge design along a nation's premier cross-country route.  Can't fault Ontario for wanting to put their best engineering foot forward on this route -- they sure have plenty of cookie-cutter freeway overpasses on 401 and in the Toronto/Hamilton area in general. 
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on August 10, 2021, 01:35:49 PM
Made me think of this.  Maybe not the middle of nowhere, but rural. 

Take a close look at the deck of that bridge -- it features closely-spaced overhead electrical catenary; it's one of their HSR bridges -- and this example is low-key compared to some of the structures along those rail lines -- particularly the ones that span whole valleys!

kkt

Quote from: vdeane on July 25, 2021, 12:01:01 PM
Yeah, that looks like a typical overpass to me.  A nice one, but still.  Now, this is a fancy bridge in the middle of nowhere!

Hey, I know that bridge!  I saw it under construction when we took the ferryboat that paralleled the bridge.

Road Hog

Quote from: ozarkman417 on August 11, 2021, 03:18:33 PM
Quote from: cbeach40 on August 11, 2021, 10:01:08 AM
And if you're wanting freeway underpasses, Hwy 400 between Toronto and Barrie had a number of bridges stamped with the provincial coat-of-arms, which have been replicated on some of their replacements.
<image>

<image>

Not exactly middle of nowhere today, though when the original structures were built they were.
Arkansas has been doing something similar with some of their newer over and underpasses in the northwest part of the state, stamping the state's shape on a wall just below the bridge itself. Here is an example of one of them:

Northwest Arkansas isn't exactly the middle of nowhere, but this overpass (and several others) are on a rural stretch (for now) of what will soon be I-49.
Arkansas is just copying what Texas has been doing for years now:

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: Road Hog on August 21, 2021, 11:35:23 AM
Quote from: ozarkman417 on August 11, 2021, 03:18:33 PM
Quote from: cbeach40 on August 11, 2021, 10:01:08 AM
And if you're wanting freeway underpasses, Hwy 400 between Toronto and Barrie had a number of bridges stamped with the provincial coat-of-arms, which have been replicated on some of their replacements.
<image>

<image>

Not exactly middle of nowhere today, though when the original structures were built they were.
Arkansas has been doing something similar with some of their newer over and underpasses in the northwest part of the state, stamping the state's shape on a wall just below the bridge itself. Here is an example of one of them:

Northwest Arkansas isn't exactly the middle of nowhere, but this overpass (and several others) are on a rural stretch (for now) of what will soon be I-49.
Arkansas is just copying what Texas has been doing for years now:

First there were these longhorns. Then there is this.

US 89

Hard to beat the pair of big arch bridges on Utah SR 95 over the Colorado and Dirty Devil River for this. They are about 50 miles from any sort of permanent population or even cell signal.

1995hoo

In terms of truly "middle of nowhere," people who deem cable-stayed bridges to be inherently "fancy" should vote for the Deh Cho Bridge in the Northwest Territories.

(Edited to add a link.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Bruce

The Ione Bridge, built in 1932 to cross the Pend Oreille River and connect a town of 500 people with some forests tucked away in the northeast corner of Washington state.

Flint1979

Does the Mackinac Bridge count? I sure feel like I'm in the middle of nowhere when I'm on it.

GaryV

Did you ever cross the Mac at night, in winter, in a snowstorm?  Then you truly feel in the middle of nowhere.  Snow is flying toward your windshield and it looks like you're still going up, even after you see (for about 2 seconds) the main cables lowest point.  I know now why pilots crash their planes into a mountain when they didn't believe their instruments.

Flint1979

Quote from: GaryV on August 26, 2021, 07:12:11 AM
Did you ever cross the Mac at night, in winter, in a snowstorm?  Then you truly feel in the middle of nowhere.  Snow is flying toward your windshield and it looks like you're still going up, even after you see (for about 2 seconds) the main cables lowest point.  I know now why pilots crash their planes into a mountain when they didn't believe their instruments.
I have and it's an experience to be honest about it. I've come across there at 3 in the morning before with snow flying and you could only see for maybe a quarter of a mile ahead if that. I was driving like 20 mph and it took about 15 minutes to cross it for those 15 minutes it was like omg am I going to make it across. I've also traveled across in some wind gusts before and could feel the bridge moving back and forth when I was on it.

Last time I came across the bridge was about two weeks ago and it was very foggy and you couldn't see anything except for the bridge right in front of you. The fog started going away as I was going through Indian River.

Flint1979

Quote from: GaryV on August 26, 2021, 07:12:11 AM
Honestly that is the scariest part of the bridge to me is where the suspension cables are even with the bridge deck and your about 200 feet above the water.

plain

Quote from: Bruce on August 25, 2021, 06:15:14 PM
The Ione Bridge, built in 1932 to cross the Pend Oreille River and connect a town of 500 people with some forests tucked away in the northeast corner of Washington state.

That's a pretty clean paint job on that bridge! I hate grated decks though (especially on non-drawbridges) but given its age, it's cool.
Newark born, Richmond bred

SteveG1988

Would it count if it is fancy...but on a main road, for example I-80 in PA has two fancy deck trusses that are a bit out of the way from the main settlements in the area. But it is on a main route
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

tolbs17

tolbs17

The Asheboro Bypass in North Carolina has a nice fancy design compared to the Greenville Southwest Bypass which does not. I don't get why they did nothing to enhance the Greenville southwest bypass.

I will post links when I'm not on my phone

tolbs17

This bridge can be fancy! I love how it has the curved steel beams where it meets with the piers. These are all over US-70 from Dover to New Bern.

It's a shame that I don't see these types of bridges being built anymore. The ones that get build now are just boring.

https://goo.gl/maps/4jfpSoi7eb34jkMT7

I'll add this in too: https://goo.gl/maps/DkHdGA4F1ADPZ46r6 Also a unique design.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: tolbs17 on February 14, 2022, 07:40:38 PM
This bridge can be fancy! I love how it has the curved steel beams where it meets with the piers. These are all over US-70 from Dover to New Bern.

It's a shame that I don't see these types of bridges being built anymore. The ones that get build now are just boring.

It's not, nor can ever be.

tolbs17

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 14, 2022, 07:42:02 PM

I wonder what makes you say that?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: tolbs17 on February 14, 2022, 07:45:23 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 14, 2022, 07:42:02 PM

I wonder what makes you say that?

It's not fancy.  I don't even think many would disagree it is objectively non-fancy.  Also, how is I-42 in the middle of nowhere?

Max Rockatansky

A real fancy bridge in the middle of nowhere; the Mosquito Road Bridge northeast of Placerville:

0 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_0310 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

SkyPesos

I'll add this in too: https://goo.gl/maps/DkHdGA4F1ADPZ46r6 Also a unique design.
That looks like the most plain bridge i've ever seen. Have you looked outside of North Carolina on Google maps to find some real examples yet?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.