News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Songs that Have a Highway Reference

Started by ethanhopkin14, August 05, 2021, 03:56:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: dlsterner on August 05, 2021, 11:38:38 PM
The late Tom Petty, in his song "American Girl", references "441", presumably US 441 which is the main N/S highway through his home town of Gainesville FL.

Jimmy Buffett has an album called "A1A", although I don't recall any of the songs mentioning FL A1A nor any other highway.  May have to give it a listen.

I always thought the "441 sounded like waves crashing on the beach" was a reverence to a V8 441.

Vanilla Ice "Ice, Ice Baby" ...continued to A1A, Beachfront Avenue." actually is a reference to A1A in Miami, even with the popular name, and not the correct name.

Henry

"Moon over Parma, shine on I-271..."

(in the original version, Cleveland is never mentioned, but many of its suburbs are)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 06, 2021, 07:43:53 AM
Quote from: dlsterner on August 05, 2021, 11:38:38 PM

Jimmy Buffett has an album called "A1A", although I don't recall any of the songs mentioning FL A1A nor any other highway.  May have to give it a listen.

"Trying to Reason with Hurricane Season" from that album does–"Strolling down the avenue that's known as A1A."

A1A is also mentioned in a song co-written by Vanilla Ice, David Bowie and Queen.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

ethanhopkin14

Randy Newman "I love LA"
"Imperial Highway"
"Century Blvd."
"Victory Blvd."
"Santa Monica Blvd."
"6th St."

James Taylor "It's Enough to be on Your Way" "It had me counting headlights out on Highway 591"
Bruce Springsteen "Highway 29"
Bruce Springsteen "Thunder Road"
Son Volt "Ten Second News" "Driving down sunny forty-four highway"
Jackson Browne "I'm Alive  "Yeah, and now I'm drivin down California 5" (although of course its Interstate 5)

Honorable mention but don't qualify:
Interestingly "Crossroads" by Robert Johnson and "Graceland" by Paul Simon both take place (or some of the song does) on US-61, but the road isn't mentioned.
Same with "Take it Easy" by Jackson Browne being "Standing on the corner in Winslow, AZ" makes me think it takes place on US-66.
Steve Earl "Guitar Town" the first verse describes a trip that is no other road but I-35 between Austin and San Antonio.

andrepoiy

Guns N' Roses - Dust N' Bones from the Use Your Illusion I album.

The highway mentioned is I-65, which passes through LaFayette, Indiana, which Axl Rose (vocals) and Izzy Stradlin (rhythm guitar) 's hometown.

I have linked the part of the song where it mentions I-65 (apparently setting the timestamp doesn't work when it's embedded into this post, so the part is at 0:10):

https://youtu.be/kPtCILgte10?t=10

"He lost his mind today
He left it out back on the highway
I-65"

dlsterner

Quote from: cabiness42 on August 06, 2021, 12:32:48 PM
A1A is also mentioned in a song co-written by Vanilla Ice, David Bowie and Queen.

Assuming you mean the song "Ice Ice Baby" by Vanilla Ice and initially not credited to Bowie nor Queen in any way, blatantly ripping them off with stealing their music and depriving them of credit and royalties, at least until being threatened with a copyright infringement suit.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: dlsterner on August 06, 2021, 11:37:12 PM

Assuming you mean the song "Ice Ice Baby" by Vanilla Ice and initially not credited to Bowie nor Queen in any way, blatantly ripping them off with stealing their music and depriving them of credit and royalties, at least until being threatened with a copyright infringement suit.

...then coming up with a lame excuse that the bass rift is actually (microscopically) different.

dlsterner

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on August 07, 2021, 12:35:58 PM
Quote from: dlsterner on August 06, 2021, 11:37:12 PM

...then coming up with a lame excuse that the bass rift is actually (microscopically) different.

If I recall, when he said that, he had a smirk on his face that seemed to say "Yeah, I ripped them off.  What are you going to do about it?"  He is on my short list of "comes-on-the-radio-automatically-change-station".

SectorZ

Quote from: andrepoiy on August 06, 2021, 04:49:39 PM
Guns N' Roses - Dust N' Bones from the Use Your Illusion I album.

The highway mentioned is I-65, which passes through LaFayette, Indiana, which Axl Rose (vocals) and Izzy Stradlin (rhythm guitar) 's hometown.

I have linked the part of the song where it mentions I-65 (apparently setting the timestamp doesn't work when it's embedded into this post, so the part is at 0:10):

https://youtu.be/kPtCILgte10?t=10

"He lost his mind today
He left it out back on the highway
I-65"

Tiny correction, it's "on 65". Lyrics in the CD booklet confirm.

epzik8

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

michravera

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on August 05, 2021, 03:56:23 PM
I was thinking about songs that have highway numbers in them (not just songs that contain the word highway in the lyrics).  I was wondering how many we could note. 

Rule 1: Stated above, not just "highway" so "Life is a Highway" is out.
Rule 2: A named road, highway or route number counts, fictitious or real. 

That's about it.  I looked to see if there was a thread on this before and couldn't find.

I'm a little late, but:
"Little Old Lady from Pasadena" - MPB Jan&Dean - Mentions Colorado Blvd, CASR-710
"Ventura Highway" -- America -- is a reference to US-101
"Convoy" -- CW McCall -- Has references to several roads, among them I-10 and I-44 and the New Jersey Turnpike
Many have mentioned the obvious "Route 66", "Highway 61", and "Born to Run"
"Hot Rod Lincoln" -- MPB Commander Cody -- mentions "Grapevine Hill". Then US-99 now I-5
"James Dean" -- Eagles -- mentions "The Road to Eternity" then CASR-33, now CASR-41/46
"Roll on down the Highway" -- BTO -- mentions the long highway of Rock and Roll. Presumably either the TCH or I-80.
"Like a Bat out of Hell" -- MPB Meat Loaf -- mentions hitting the highway like a battering ram
"I Need a Lover" and "Running on Empty" -- Jackson Brown -- both use the term "highway" metaphorically

... Are there more? Think about it ... And make a wish...

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: michravera on August 08, 2021, 02:35:19 PM
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on August 05, 2021, 03:56:23 PM
I was thinking about songs that have highway numbers in them (not just songs that contain the word highway in the lyrics).  I was wondering how many we could note. 

Rule 1: Stated above, not just "highway" so "Life is a Highway" is out.
Rule 2: A named road, highway or route number counts, fictitious or real. 

That's about it.  I looked to see if there was a thread on this before and couldn't find.

I'm a little late, but:
"Little Old Lady from Pasadena" - MPB Jan&Dean - Mentions Colorado Blvd, CASR-710
"Ventura Highway" -- America -- is a reference to US-101
"Convoy" -- CW McCall -- Has references to several roads, among them I-10 and I-44 and the New Jersey Turnpike
Many have mentioned the obvious "Route 66", "Highway 61", and "Born to Run"
"Hot Rod Lincoln" -- MPB Commander Cody -- mentions "Grapevine Hill". Then US-99 now I-5
"James Dean" -- Eagles -- mentions "The Road to Eternity" then CASR-33, now CASR-41/46
"Roll on down the Highway" -- BTO -- mentions the long highway of Rock and Roll. Presumably either the TCH or I-80.
"Like a Bat out of Hell" -- MPB Meat Loaf -- mentions hitting the highway like a battering ram
"I Need a Lover" and "Running on Empty" -- Jackson Brown -- both use the term "highway" metaphorically

... Are there more? Think about it ... And make a wish...

Running on Empty specifically references 101.

ethanhopkin14

"Wolf Creek Pass" by C.W. McCall is about driving a truck full of chickens from Wolf Creek Pass to Pagosa Springs, CO.  It's never mentioned by name, but the only road between those two spots in US-160.

michravera

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on August 08, 2021, 03:02:54 PM
"Wolf Creek Pass" by C.W. McCall is about driving a truck full of chickens from Wolf Creek Pass to Pagosa Springs, CO.  It's never mentioned by name, but the only road between those two spots in US-160.
I remember in the late 1970s or early 1980s a "TV Special" vinyl album that was all trucker songs ("Convoy", "Phantom 409", etc). Doubtless, it would contain numerous highway references.

It does occur to me that "I've been Everywhere" MBP Johnny Cash, does mention the "Winnemucca Road" which is I-80.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Dire Straits' Telegraph Rd (which evidently is about Detroit's Telegraph Rd)
There are 3 flavors of Telephone Rd (which exists in Houston) by Steve Earle, Rodney Crowell, & Mark May
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

1995hoo

Springsteen, "Darlington County"–"And we'll leave this Darlington City for a ride down that Dixie Highway."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ethanhopkin14

"Desperados Under the Eves" by Warren Zevon, the coda repeats "look away down Gower Avenue."   Although incorrect, its actually Gower Street.  I must say, avenue in the song sounds so much better. 

1995hoo

Springsteen, "Stolen Car"–I'm driving a stolen car/Down on Eldridge Avenue./Each night I wait to get caught,/But I never do."

I don't know whether Eldridge Avenue is meant to be a real street and, if so, where it's meant to be. There is an Eldridge Street on the Lower East Side, but I doubt that's the reference.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 09, 2021, 10:57:06 AM
Springsteen, "Stolen Car"–I'm driving a stolen car/Down on Eldridge Avenue./Each night I wait to get caught,/But I never do."

I don't know whether Eldridge Avenue is meant to be a real street and, if so, where it's meant to be. There is an Eldridge Street on the Lower East Side, but I doubt that's the reference.

This topic was made for Springsteen:

"Incident on 57th Street"  It's never mentioned outside the title.
"Jungleland" "...together they take a stab at romance and disappear down Flamingo Lane."
"Tenth Avenue Freezeout"

Not Springsteen: "59th Street Bridge Song (Feeling Groovy)" by Simon and Garfunkel.  Again, not mentioned outside the title. 

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 09, 2021, 10:57:06 AM

As soon as I posted the last, I forgot "The Wild, the Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle"

Throckmorton

Quote from: michravera on August 08, 2021, 07:47:58 PM
I remember in the late 1970s or early 1980s a "TV Special" vinyl album that was all trucker songs ("Convoy", "Phantom 409", etc). Doubtless, it would contain numerous highway references.

Actually, that's Phantom 309

Proceed with caution

ethanhopkin14

"Sweet Baby James"  by James Taylor has the line " The first of December was covered with snow, and so was the Turnpike from Stockbridge to Boston."   Although not explicitly by name, everyone knows that's Mass Pike.

mrsman

If we are also including streets and not just highways:

"Posse on Broadway" by Sir Mix-a-lot mentions Broadway and several other Seattle streets.

"Free-fallin'" by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers mention "Ventura Blvd" (former US 101) and "Mullholland" as well as an unspecified freeway running through the yard in Reseda.  it's probably the 101 freeway, but technically runs about a mile south of Reseda's southern border (Victory Blvd)

1995hoo

Your comment reminds me that the Gaslight Anthem have a song called "Mulholland Drive" on their fourth album, Handwritten.

lepidopteran

Old Home Filler-Up An' Keep On A-Truckin' Café by C.W. McCall.  The opening line is
"Well, Interstate 80, we was cuttin' the fog..."

This song actually received a lot of airplay in about 1974.  It was originally based on a series of (local?) commercials for Old Home Bread.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.