News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Do you enjoy the smell of gasoline?

Started by Max Rockatansky, August 28, 2021, 12:30:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

I happen to and from what I gather a lot other might as well.  I tend to get a sense of nostalgia from the scent of gasoline in that it kind of reminds me of the 1980s and 1990s when I was following racing circuits with my Dad. 

Rothman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 28, 2021, 12:30:47 PM
I happen to and from what I gather a lot other might as well.  I tend to get a sense of nostalgia from the scent of gasoline in that it kind of reminds me of the 1980s and 1990s when I was following racing circuits with my Dad.
I prefer diesel.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

CoreySamson

Not so much gasoline, but I really like the smell of diesel. It brings back good memories.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

renegade

Not so much for gasoline anymore.  I think I've become hooked on hand sanitizer ...  :bigass:
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

GaryV

How did bandit get access to Max R's account?
:-D

allniter89

When I was a wee lad I loved going into Grandads garage and smelling the mixture of cut grass from the lawnmower & gasoline. Whenever I go into my garage I have fond memories of summers at Grandads, eating homemade ice cream under a maple tree in the backyard. Asking Grandad to tell me the story of how him & Granma came across from Scotland in an oceanliner in 1933. :-(.Back to topic please
I pumped alot of gasoline in my life, my brother had a garage & full-service gas (remember those?) and I had a job there whenever I needed extra cash. I think it was when unleaded gas 1st came out it smelled like rotten eggs, or was it the catalytic converter that caused the smell? Anyway in the wintertime when it was super cold & the north wind was howling I'd scrunch down real close to the car to avoid the wind and breath in the exhaust & gasoline fumes, then go inside & chain-smoke Kool Super Long cigs. I'm amazed I've made it to 68½ my doc says I'm pretty healthy since I quit smoking 12/10/2000 @0700.
I prefer the smell of diesel smoke rather than gas. My dad always had a Zippo cig lighter & I loved the smell when he lit a fresh cig, the smell of the cig & lighter fluid.
Sorry I rambled a bit, feeling melancholy this evening. ;-)
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

CtrlAltDel

In small doses, yes. But I wouldn't want it in my house, or anything like that.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

zachary_amaryllis

diesel exhaust: from locomotive, yes. from the p---ks that have the huge coal-roller trucks that have not hauled anything except groceries, not so much.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

formulanone

The first whiff is a little nostalgic, but subsequent odors are noxious. Kind of weird how that works out.

If I have to work in a shop where fuel pumps are getting replaced, I need a lot of fresh air.

TravelingBethelite

Yes, and strangely enough I enjoy the smell of running gasoline engines (especially smaller engines like lawnmowers). Not particularly fond of diesel, but I do also like the smell of running diesel engines (I concur with zachary_amaryllis in regards to the origin of such smells).
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

dlsterner

There were times when I would have a nostalgic memory of family vacations (which were always car trips).  As a kid, while at home is was typical for my dad to gas up the car during his commute to work, so the majority of times for me to be at a gas station was on a family vacation.

Those were back in the days of leaded gasoline, but I'm having trouble recalling if the smell was any different between leaded and unleaded.

Nowadays, not so much.  One reason being getting further away from the "family vacation as a kid" years, and to changing layouts of gas stations - from corner gas stations with one or two rows of pumps and a pair of service bays, to a sprawling layout with dozens of pumps and a convenience store.

kurumi

It's also nostalgic for me: the smell of gas, oil, and dust in the shed where Grandpa's farm equipment was sometimes parked.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

bandit957

I used to enjoy it when I was growing up. I'd always try to get some good whiffs of it whenever we got gas. But I think modern pumps just don't leak fumes like this, and it was unhealthy anyway.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

kphoger

Yes.

People tell me leaded gasoline smelled even better, but I'm too young for that.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

noelbotevera

Now that my dad managed to spill gasoline in the back of his car, I freaking hate the smell of gasoline. At least it's not sulfur or something, but it sucks to return home and still smell gas on yourself because you've been marinating in it for the last twenty minutes.

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on August 31, 2021, 01:21:34 PM
Yes.

It does, racing fuel was full of lead until recently.

GaryV

Yes.

You should have traveled.  Algeria was the last place to have leaded gas; they used up their supply in July (this year).

qguy

Yes.

It smelled somewhat like pickles. In fact, there was an episode of the Andy Griffith Show that used that as the basis for its humor.

index

Yes. Conversely, I hate the smell of freshly-mowed grass, which most people love. It makes me want to puke. It's apparently a distress signal or something.

So, every time you mow grass and enjoy that smell, you're enjoying the pained cries of death, suffering, and misery as the blades of grass alert their comrades on the battlefield that dismemberment or death is headed their way. Think about that the next time you mow your lawn, sickos.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

kphoger

Quote from: noelbotevera on August 31, 2021, 06:50:52 PM
Now that my dad managed to spill gasoline in the back of his car, I freaking hate the smell of gasoline. At least it's not sulfur or something, but it sucks to return home and still smell gas on yourself because you've been marinating in it for the last twenty minutes.

When I first read that (quickly), my mind interpreted that word as something else that's spelled ma––––ating.

Quote from: GaryV on August 31, 2021, 07:19:18 PM

Yes.

You should have traveled.  Algeria was the last place to have leaded gas; they used up their supply in July (this year).

I have traveled.  But not to Algeria...

I'd love to, though.

Quote from: index on September 01, 2021, 09:10:44 AM
Yes. Conversely, I hate the smell of freshly-mowed grass, which most people love. It makes me want to puke. It's apparently a distress signal or something.

So, every time you mow grass and enjoy that smell, you're enjoying the pained cries of death, suffering, and misery as the blades of grass alert their comrades on the battlefield that dismemberment or death is headed their way. Think about that the next time you mow your lawn, sickos.

Thanks.  When it's hot and I'm tired and sweaty, sometimes it's hard to keep my spirits up while mowing.  Now I have something new to smile about.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.