Suggestion for Regional Boards

Started by webny99, March 03, 2022, 10:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoePCool14

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 19, 2022, 03:17:14 AM
Ohio Valley Board (2009-2022)

...Anyway, if you all see any threads that I botched transferring, like if I put a Kentucky thread in Pacific Southwest or something stupid like that, let me know!

Also, RIP to "Midwest - Great Lakes". At least now, we're by far the second biggest regional board behind the Northeast by post count.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

MATraveler128

Thank you for implementing these changes. This does make it easier to locate specific threads.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

webny99

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on September 19, 2022, 08:27:36 AM
Thank you for implementing these changes. This does make it easier to locate specific threads.

Just wanted to echo a thank you for the moderators and admin team for the recent changes that have been implemented! I appreciate the feedback in this thread and elsewhere being considered and look forward to a more user-friendly experience.

We're now very close to having no more split states: I believe Western MN is similar to a Western NY situation where it could be removed from the Central States board description without many threads having to be moved, as I think most (all?) MN discussion is located in the updated Great Lakes-Ohio Valley board. Those that frequent those boards more often could confirm.

That would leave the boundary between Mid-South and Southeast as the only split-state issue remaining (currently affecting 3 states: LA, MS, and TN).

vdeane

Quote from: webny99 on September 21, 2022, 10:50:35 AM

Just wanted to echo a thank you for the moderators and admin team for the recent changes that have been implemented! I appreciate the feedback in this thread and elsewhere being considered and look forward to a more user-friendly experience.

We're now very close to having no more split states: I believe Western MN is similar to a Western NY situation where it could be removed from the Central States board description without any threads having to be moved, as I think most (all?) MN discussion is located in the updated Great Lakes-Ohio Valley board. Those that frequent those boards more often could confirm.

That would leave the boundary between Mid-South and Southeast as the only split-state issue remaining (currently affecting 3 states: LA, MS, and TN).
Western NY had at least two threads to move out of there to Northeast.  Same for Northwest PA.  I am unsure if there were other threads moved out of there prior to the dissolution of the Ohio Valley board, however.

It would be interesting to see if there actually are any threads for Minnesota in Central States.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on September 21, 2022, 01:29:03 PM

We're now very close to having no more split states: I believe Western MN is similar to a Western NY situation where it could be removed from the Central States board description without many threads having to be moved, as I think most (all?) MN discussion is located in the updated Great Lakes-Ohio Valley board. Those that frequent those boards more often could confirm.

Western NY had at least two threads to move out of there to Northeast.  Same for Northwest PA.  I am unsure if there were other threads moved out of there prior to the dissolution of the Ohio Valley board, however.

OK, I must have missed that. Updated with one very carefully placed letter.  ;-)

JoePCool14

Whoever pinned the state notes threads in the Midwest board, I just want to say thank you.

vdeane

We're now very close to having no more split states: I believe Western MN is similar to a Western NY situation where it could be removed from the Central States board description without any threads having to be moved, as I think most (all?) MN discussion is located in the updated Great Lakes-Ohio Valley board. Those that frequent those boards more often could confirm.

It would be interesting to see if there actually are any threads for Minnesota in Central States.
Incidentally, I decided to see if there were any MN threads in Central States, and I didn't even have to look past the first page - the Northwest Angle thread from last year is there.

Quote from: JoePCool14 on September 21, 2022, 05:52:55 PM
Whoever pinned the state notes threads in the Midwest board, I just want to say thank you.
What Midwest board?  ;-)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

JoePCool14

Quote from: vdeane on September 21, 2022, 08:57:00 PM
What Midwest board?  ;-)

I guess I'll be that one defiant person who keeps calling it the Midwest board. Because that's the name that first comes to mind.

Alps

:D ;)

vdeane

I've noticed that the Northeast board is now emulating how the Southeast board was for a long time, with only Philadelphia pinned.

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on September 22, 2022, 12:54:28 PM
I've noticed that the Northeast board is now emulating how the Southeast board was for a long time, with only Philadelphia pinned.

Perhaps "Philadelphia" was pinned to avoid a repeat of this  :rofl:

Alex

I did that after I split off the Atlanta thread and pinned it.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: Alex on September 22, 2022, 08:43:16 PM

I did that after I split off the Atlanta thread and pinned it.

Thank you for that change as well. I hadn't thought about how all the Atlanta discussion was dominating the other general discussion in the Georgia thread, so that also helps with organization.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

froggie

Most, but not all.  Would agree that all of the MN discussion should be in the Great Lakes thread.

There's a handful, including one from a couple months ago.

vdeane

It looks like all the regions now have all the state/provincial threads pinned (including Canada!).  Regarding Canada, there isn't anything for Nova Scotia or Manitoba, but both have threads that seem to function similarly but are narrower in scope - Nova Scotia Major Road Projects and Manitoba freeways?.  Should those threads be renamed and pinned?

Alps

Quote from: vdeane on October 22, 2022, 05:33:31 PM
It looks like all the regions now have all the state/provincial threads pinned (including Canada!).  Regarding Canada, there isn't anything for Nova Scotia or Manitoba, but both have threads that seem to function similarly but are narrower in scope - Nova Scotia Major Road Projects and Manitoba freeways?.  Should those threads be renamed and pinned?
I wasn't gonna rename them. It's that or create a new catchall thread and let people add to that. I didn't want to get in the way of more specific topics getting generalized.

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on October 22, 2022, 05:33:31 PM

With regards to Manitoba at least, freeways are actually quite rare there. It's only in recent years that Winnipeg has gotten any freeway mileage, and what they have now is a beltway. It would be like having a thread for "New York four-lane expressways" - rare enough that it really does warrant its own thread (and note some of the sarcastic commentary in that thread to the same effect  :-D), so it's probably better to have a separate thread for general Manitoba discussion.

vdeane

Yeah, I can see that.  I think I got inspired by the recent bump of that thread for the twinning project near the Ontario border (which as far as I'm aware, is just twinning, not a freeway).  The Nova Scotia one is more of a gray area since posting news on major projects that aren't big enough (or don't generate enough discussion) for their own threads is basically what these state/province threads are used for, along with general questions, and it's relatively small, so it hasn't fully taken on an identity yet.

ITB

So far, so good, with the realignment of the regional boards.

Here's a few more suggestions:

(1) move southeast Louisiana from the Southeast board to the Mid South board

Reason: To combine Louisiana onto one board

(2) move northern Mississippi from the Mid South board to the Southeast board

Reason: To combine Mississippi onto one board

(3) move Oklahoma from the Central States board to the Mid South board

Reason: Texas and Oklahoma are like hand and glove; they are often paired together, and should be here

(4) Rename the Pacific Southwest board to Pacific West

Reason: California, Nevada, and Hawaii are located in the west, not the southwest

(5) Rename the Mid South board to South Central

Reason: The region of Texas and nearby states is generally considered the South Central area of the U.S.

Max Rockatansky

Pacific Southwest is fine as is.  Probably the most common states I talk about at the moment at California, Nevada and Hawaii.  They certainly fit the region as presently defined.

Scott5114

Quote from: ITB on November 03, 2022, 11:55:02 PM
(3) move Oklahoma from the Central States board to the Mid South board

Reason: Texas and Oklahoma are like hand and glove; they are often paired together, and should be here

Oklahoma has more in common transportation-wise with the other states in Central States; it is a smallish, not particularly rich state. Kansas and Missouri are closer to being economic peer states to it than Texas. We certainly don't have the multi-billion freeway projects Texas has going on here. And Oklahoma doesn't really collaborate with any of its bordering states on transportation projects, so the arguments that were used to put KY in Great Lakes don't make much sense here. 

Texas is enough of its own beast that if anything were to change with it, I would expect it to be it getting its own forum, for most of the same reasons people have asked for CA to have its own forum.

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US 89

Not only that, but having been to OKC and especially Tulsa, they seem to feel much more like Midwestern cities (think like Omaha, Lincoln, Wichita, or Kansas City) than similarly sized cities in Texas.

thspfc

Quote from: US 89 on November 04, 2022, 12:40:49 AM
Not only that, but having been to OKC and especially Tulsa, they seem to feel much more like Midwestern cities (think like Omaha, Lincoln, Wichita, or Kansas City) than similarly sized cities in Texas.
By this logic we wouldn't be able to define any regions. There will always be places that feel much more like other places outside their region than they do places further away but in the same region.

hbelkins

I still think Kentucky is misplaced and belongs more in a southeast regional grouping, but if Pennsylvania is going to be all in one board now, it's time for other split states to be consolidated.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Changes to the Regional Boards are so exciting.  Churn them up again!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.