News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

How many miles have you driven?

Started by oscar, February 16, 2011, 04:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscar

Updating totals from my first post above:

Subaru Forester (current main road trip car): over 152K miles
Toyota Prius (former main road trip car, now just for local travel): over 315K miles
Nissan Titan (replaced by Forester, after three breakdowns during my 2017 mega-road trip): over 182K miles
BMW 3-series (replaced by Prius, after the BMW was totaled by a drunk driver): over 194K miles
Honda Accord (replaced by Titan, died from old age): over 180K miles, not counting 102K miles by previous owner
Honda Prelude (replaced by Accord, after Prelude sold to buy my condo): only about 20K miles

Total for those six cars is over 1043K miles. I've owned five or six other cars, but I don't know how much mileage I put on those.  Plus, I've put a lot of miles on rental cars (much to the rental companies' consternation), but I don't have a total on those.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on August 09, 2021, 05:13:17 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 09, 2021, 05:01:29 PM
I once held a job where I actually drove about 81,000 miles for work related purposes in a single year.  I had a 65,000 mile year that followed that up which would account for about 25% overall total.

For about 1.5 years, I drove a delivery route that averaged around 300 miles per day, five days a week.  I'm sure I must have topped 100,000 miles in the truck during that time.

I was actual a district security manager for a retail chain.  My original work area was just Arizona but everyone else kept quitting so I picked up California, Nevada, western Texas and New Mexico.  We had a weird company requirement that every store needed a monthly visit and audit.  I ended up buying a Ford Fiesta as a work car for about 16k out of a dealership in Scottsdale.  My mileage per diem was about $0.50 cents on the mile after home store commute.  Some of my weekly mileage vouchers would be as high as $500-$800 dollars which was a hugely profitable venture with the Fiesta averaging 42.4 MPG.  After about three years I had to decide if I wanted to reinvest with another car and stay on or take another job.  I ultimately took a job with the DOD at NAS Key West and went back to something a little more normalized. 

Of note; my meal allowance was up to $45 dollars a day which would be only reimbursed on what I spent.  My hotel allowance was $150 a night and sure made it a point to pad the hell out of my rewards points.  I had points in reserve for almost three years after I quit.  I was single at the time and easily spent 100 plus nights a year in a hotel.  I absolutely loved the travel aspect since the company I worked for only cared if I put in 40 hours a week and claimed the most direct routes between stores.  I ended up seeing 24 National Parks, who knows how many National Monuments and almost fully clinched Arizona in the process.  I think my wife would only be willing to tolerate me being gone maybe about 50% of what I describe above. 

formulanone

I'm going to guess 550,000 to 600,000 over 31 years of driving. For a while there, my work was only 4-8 miles round trip, or my job included taking the bus for free, but it was tough getting more than one day off at a time.

1st car: 50k
2nd car: 12k
3rd car: 162k
4th car: 25k
5th car: 40k
6th car (current): 103k
Wife's cars: at least 30k, lots of errands and trips
Friends/family/company/go-karts/customers' vehicles: 2-3k

Rentals: 10 years at approximately 12-15k miles annually. I finally counted up last year's rentals, and found it was 27,000 in lieu of flying. So maybe I've undercounted that for a while, hence the 50k difference. 

Bruce

Current car: 70K (started at 65K, now at 135K)
Rental cars: About 3K, all in the past 2 months

A lot of that time spent while working, so in terms of range I haven't driven all that far away from home base.

Roadgeekteen

Probably less than 10, I only have my learners permit lol. But Oscar, very impressive, over 1 million miles!
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

dlsterner

In about 47-ish years of driving (back then you could get a restricted license at 15) ...

I would guess around  600,000 miles.

WillWeaverRVA

I just hit 160,000 miles on my Camry (which had 9 miles on it when I bought it in 2007), and I probably put about 3,000 miles on my wife's Kia Soul while my Camry was out of commission for a while.

I had a 1979 Oldsmobile Delta 88 when I was in high school (...in 2001...), but it had major issues (it only cost $500) and I probably only drove the thing maybe 10 miles before it died.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Rothman

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on August 10, 2021, 08:38:18 AM
I just hit 160,000 miles on my Camry (which had 9 miles on it when I bought it in 2007), and I probably put about 3,000 miles on my wife's Kia Soul while my Camry was out of commission for a while.

I had a 1979 Oldsmobile Delta 88 when I was in high school (...in 2001...), but it had major issues (it only cost $500) and I probably only drove the thing maybe 10 miles before it died.
Too bad it wasn't a yellow '73...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on August 10, 2021, 08:54:10 AM

The 455 V8 was still available in 1973 and wouldn't have been fully emissions neutered yet. 

Rothman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 10, 2021, 10:20:33 AM

The 455 V8 was still available in 1973 and wouldn't have been fully emissions neutered yet.
And it is the classic car from Sam Raimi movies...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on August 10, 2021, 01:45:42 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 10, 2021, 10:20:33 AM

And it is the classic car from Sam Raimi movies...

Yes, very much an Evil Dead fan myself.  I just want to know where that bridge in the first movie was at. 

ozarkman417

I have had my drivers license for a little over a year now. I got my learner's permit about a year before I got my license. So, I've only been driving for about two years.

I've driven 800ish miles in my car (almost exclusively in-town driving), but that figure is higher in my parents' cars, for two reasons:

-Their cars are the two that I learned to drive in, accounting for all my the miles driven in my first year of driving.

-On family trips, I often take a turn at driving, especially if we are driving over long distances. This has allowed me to drive in nine states so far (MO, KS, AR, TN, MS, AL, GA, FL, OK; in that order). I'll estimate that I have driven 2-3k miles between the two vehicles.

This adds up to about 3-4k miles driven.

Rothman

Quote from: ozarkman417 on August 10, 2021, 02:11:46 PM
I have had my drivers license for a little over a year now. I got my learner's permit about a year before I got my license. So, I've only been driving for about two years.

I've driven 800ish miles in my car (almost exclusively in-town driving), but that figure is higher in my parents' cars, for two reasons:

-Their cars are the two that I learned to drive in, accounting for all my the miles driven in my first year of driving.

-On family trips, I often take a turn at driving, especially if we are driving over long distances. This has allowed me to drive in nine states so far (MO, KS, AR, TN, MS, AL, GA, FL, OK; in that order). I'll estimate that I have driven 2-3k miles between the two vehicles.

Out of curosity, how did you go about obtaining a car and insurance right out of the gate?

kphoger

I had a car in high school, although it was legally in my parents' name.  My sister sold it to us for a dollar.  That's the car I took with me to college.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on August 10, 2021, 02:23:41 PM
I had a car in high school, although it was legally in my parents' name.  My sister sold it to us for a dollar.  That's the car I took with me to college.
I did too.  I wasn't asking you. :D

Max Rockatansky

As an aside....  I spent $2,000 dollars I saved up for summer jobs on a Pontiac Sunbird.  I was on my Dad's insurance until I was 18, by then I switched to 1997 Chevy 1500 4x4.  I want to say my insurance was $130 a month back in those days for that truck. 

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on August 10, 2021, 02:24:51 PM
I did too.  I wasn't asking you. :D

Whoopee.  I wasn't telling you.  :bigass:
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ozarkman417

Quote from: Rothman on August 10, 2021, 02:15:53 PM

Out of curosity, how did you go about obtaining a car and insurance right out of the gate?
The car I drive is a hand-me-down from when one of my parents bought a new-to-them (used) car. The older car is about ten years older than the 'new' one, and what a difference that makes. I learned to drive in the new car because of all the different safety features it has. As far insurance goes, I made an agreement with my parents, where the terms were: they will pay the insurance initially, because they didn't want me to get a job due to COVID and school last year. It's not too expensive, because of the my low annual mileage, and the car isn't worth very much. That is counteracted to an extent by the fact that I am a teenage male.

CtrlAltDel

I'd be surprised if I was over 100,000 miles. I usually put only 8,000 miles a year on my car, including road trips, and for many years, I didn't have a car at all.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Rothman

Quote from: ozarkman417 on August 10, 2021, 02:47:20 PM
Quote from: Rothman on August 10, 2021, 02:15:53 PM

The car I drive is a hand-me-down from when one of my parents bought a new-to-them (used) car. The older car is about ten years older than the 'new' one, and what a difference that makes. I learned to drive in the new car because of all the different safety features it has. As far insurance goes, I made an agreement with my parents, where the terms were: they will pay the insurance initially, because they didn't want me to get a job due to COVID and school last year. It's not too expensive, because of the my low annual mileage, and the car isn't worth very much. That is counteracted to an extent by the fact that I am a teenage male.
Thanks.  My son got a car similarly.

Insurance for a kid is expensive no matter how many miles you say they drive.

Mike2357

My previous car had about 225,000 miles on it, and my current car I am putting approximately 24,000 miles/year on it.
Interstate Highways are what define the United States of America

kphoger

Quote from: Mike2357 on August 13, 2021, 01:20:55 PM
My previous car had about 225,000 miles on it, and my current car I am putting approximately 24,000 miles/year on it.

Does that mean you bought them brand new?

Because my car has more than 228,000 miles on it, but only about 70,000 of them are our miles.
Male pronouns, please.

Mike2357

Quote from: kphoger on August 13, 2021, 02:38:05 PM
Quote from: Mike2357 on August 13, 2021, 01:20:55 PM

Does that mean you bought them brand new?

Because my car has more than 228,000 miles on it, but only about 70,000 of them are our miles.

The old one was new, but broke down after only 16 years! The new one was given to us by our grandparents with 2500 miles on it, now it is at 91,250 after 3.5 years. My dad has had about 4 previous cars in his life and he commutes 60 miles a day so all of his previous cars..don't remember the exact total but all of his miles add up to about 500K-750K, and I have probably driven 40-50K miles in my lifetime.

kphoger

Quote from: Mike2357 on August 13, 2021, 04:14:54 PM
I have probably driven 40-50K miles in my lifetime.

Ah, I found your answer in there.
Male pronouns, please.

Mike2357

Quote from: kphoger on August 13, 2021, 04:23:22 PM
Quote from: Mike2357 on August 13, 2021, 04:14:54 PM
I have probably driven 40-50K miles in my lifetime.

Ah, I found your answer in there.

And I just got my license in Jan 2019..

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.