News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

How many bridges have you used all the means of crossing to cross.

Started by SteveG1988, July 21, 2011, 01:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveG1988

For example on the ben franklin bridge, i have driven across it in my own car, school bus across it, walked, and took the train. I have yet to take NJ transit or SEPTA across it for a bus.

Anyone else have any similar accomplishments.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Alps

Harvard Bridge in Boston - sober walk, drunken walk, jog, sprint, bike, bus, car.
Longfellow Bridge in Boston - see above, minus bus, plus subway
BU Bridge in Boston - walk, jog, bike, car
No major ones to report, though.

Crewdawg

Duke87

I have walked, driven a car, ridden a bus, and ridden a subway train over as well as having ridden a boat under the Broadway Bridge in New York. Haven't biked across it, though (I have not owned a functional bicycle since I was in middle school).
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

ghYHZ

Canso Causeway linking mainland Nova Scotia with Cape Breton Island........Car, Motorcycle, Bike, Bus & Train. Walked the swing-span but not all the way across.

The swing-span is over a canal on the Cape Breton Side and a couple of times we've taken a sail boat through the bridge was forced to open to clear the mast. Marine traffic has the right-of-way so it was cool to watch the cars lined-up on each side as we went through!   

PAHighways

Walked and driven across the Smithfield Street, Fort Duquesne, and Sixth Street/Roberto Clemente Bridges.

kkt

Evergreen Point Floating Bridge (Washington SR-520) - Car, bus, walk.

Golden Gate Bridge - car, bus, walk.

1995hoo

I assume that walking and things like biking or rollerblading all count as being the same for purposes of this thread, especially because you might walk the bike depending on traffic or whether the facility is too narrow or the like.

The 14th Street Bridge in DC is really five distinct spans (three highway spans, the Metrorail span, and the Long Bridge railroad span). I've been over all five spans–three by car and one of those three also by bike (the only bike/pedestrian path is on the outbound highway span); the Metrorail span on the subway; and the railroad span on the Virginia Railway Express commuter rail back when that service first opened for business.

Woodrow Wilson Bridge–driven and biked. There is talk of scheduled bus service over the bridge but I'm not aware of any at this time.

Arlington Memorial Bridge–driven, walked, biked, taken the Tourmobile sightseeing bus.

Clifton Suspension Bridge in Bristol–driven and walked. I don't believe heavy vehicles are allowed.

Millennium Bridge in London–walked (pedestrian bridge only).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SteveG1988

I count using your feet as the same, bike,skateboard,walk,etc. Sorry i forgot to make that clear.

DeMers Ave Bridge in grand forks ND (walked, driven many many many times) over the red river.

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

vtk

1 of 1: I've walked across the Purple People Bridge in Cincinnati.  If walking and biking are to be counted the same, then that's the only means of crossing available.  And then there are numerous Interstate bridges where the only allowed means of crossing is by motorized road vehicles which I've done... 

2 of 2: I've both walked on the pedestrian span of, and driven across the road span of, the new Main Street bridge in Columbus.  I've walked, biked, and driven over a certain local road bridge (which doesn't even have separate pedestrian or bike facilities) numerous times.

I don't think I've ever been on any combined rail/highway bridges by either mode of transport.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

bulldog1979

I have, in the same day no less, been across the Mackinac Bridge by car, bus and on foot. Bicycles and other non-motorized transportation are always banned. The only way I have yet to cross the Bridge is on a motorcycle.

NE2

Quote from: bulldog1979 on August 13, 2011, 07:20:28 PM
I have, in the same day no less, been across the Mackinac Bridge by car, bus and on foot. Bicycles and other non-motorized transportation are always banned. The only way I have yet to cross the Bridge is on a motorcycle.
Bikes are allowed one day a year, just like pedestrians: http://www.dalmac.org/

If you're counting motorcycles as different, surely a truck is a distinct means too.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Brandon

All modes?  That makes two for me.
1. Jefferson Street Bridge, Joliet, IL - car, bike, walk, bus
2. Portage Lake Lift Bridge, Houghton & Hancock, MI - car, bike, walk
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

froggie

QuoteThe 14th Street Bridge in DC is really five distinct spans (three highway spans, the Metrorail span, and the Long Bridge railroad span). I've been over all five spans–three by car and one of those three also by bike (the only bike/pedestrian path is on the outbound highway span); the Metrorail span on the subway; and the railroad span on the Virginia Railway Express commuter rail back when that service first opened for business.

Just the road spans are the 14th St Bridge.  Metro's Yellow Line bridge and the Long Bridge are not and have not been officially part of the 14th St Bridge.

I have not been across the 14th St Bridge by bus (have you?).  Nor have I been on VRE across the Long Bridge...just via Amtrak.

1995hoo

Quote from: froggie on September 08, 2011, 11:00:56 AM
QuoteThe 14th Street Bridge in DC is really five distinct spans (three highway spans, the Metrorail span, and the Long Bridge railroad span). I've been over all five spans–three by car and one of those three also by bike (the only bike/pedestrian path is on the outbound highway span); the Metrorail span on the subway; and the railroad span on the Virginia Railway Express commuter rail back when that service first opened for business.

Just the road spans are the 14th St Bridge.  Metro's Yellow Line bridge and the Long Bridge are not and have not been officially part of the 14th St Bridge.

I have not been across the 14th St Bridge by bus (have you?). Nor have I been on VRE across the Long Bridge...just via Amtrak.

Yes, when I was a kid we took many field trips into the District and I crossed it by bus on many of those.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

andytom

Steel Bridge, Portland, OR:

car, bus, MAX light rail, Amtrak, walk, Portland Spirit Dinner Cruise (underneath).

Tom

I've driven, rode a bus, and walked across both the Mackinac Bridge + the International Bridge. :coffee:

roadman65

George Washington Bridge is where I was on School Bus, own vehicle, charter bus, and pedestrian.
Ben Franklin Bridge I was on a bus and my own car
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Mdcastle

I-494 over the Minnesota River, bike, walk, drive, rollerblade, bus.

I was tempted to ride my bike over the Mark Twain Memorial Bridge for the novelty of being able to bike on an Interstate shoulder, but it was like 95 degrees out when I was there with my bike.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.