Modern Wooden bridges, carrying major roads

Started by SteveG1988, September 17, 2012, 12:52:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveG1988

Near me is the Pemberton NJ bypass, completed around 1991, on it is a bridge over the rancocas creek which features a wooden deck overlaid with asphault, and wooden piers, with a wooden guide rail.

Photo not by me, i do not have a canoe/kyak handy to go down the creek that far north.

The question is, how abnormal is this to see on 1990s road construction?
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

mgk920

The bridges at the US 16/16A interchange near Keystone, SD (a directional 'Y') are wood.

Mike

Special K

Quote from: mgk920 on September 17, 2012, 03:50:33 PM
The bridges at the US 16/16A interchange near Keystone, SD (a directional 'Y') are wood.

Mike

The Keystone Wye.

JREwing78

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Union County, Ohio (NW of Columbus) has built several wooden covered bridges.
Mill Creek Covered bridge (SE Corner of Union County)

Big Darby Creek Covered Bridge

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Michael

Those Union County bridges are cool!  I thought maybe the dates on them were restoration dates, but a quick Google search told me that's when they were actually built.  I didn't think wooden covered bridges were being built anymore!

As for my contribution, I have two CNY bridges:

My first thought was of a local bridge on Turnpike Road over the Owasco Outlet in the town of Throop.  It was built in 1997 to replace a narrow bridge (even narrower than the current one!).  I remember thinking that it was going to be a steel-deck bridge when I saw it under construction.  Based on Street View, it looks like there is a wooden deck between the pavement and the steel, which is confirmed on Uglybridges.  I was never aware of the wooden deck, just the rails.

Here's a photo from Dougtone's Flickr (click for the original size):

My second thought was the old bridge on Haiti Road (map, Bridgehunter, Uglybridges) to get to Haiti Island north of Port Byron.  It wouldn't normally be considered a "major" road, but it's the only way to access the island.  The original truss bridge was damaged by a snowplow in 1990, and a Bailey bridge with a wooden deck was constructed inside the truss.  In 2007, part of the truss collapsed and damaged the Bailey bridge, forcing the bridge to close to all traffic except pedestrians and ATVs.  A new bridge was built in 2010.

Old bridge:

Credit: Doug Kerr via Bridgehunter

New bridge ribbon cutting:

As an aside, when I took Driver's Ed in the summer of 2005, our teacher said we were going on the bridge, and I chuckled and said something like "Oh, boy!".  He wanted me to keep it a surprise for the other driver.  I already had my turn driving, so it wouldn't be me.

brownpelican

There are two wooden bridges on La. 10 in Washington Parish that date to the early 1900s: one just east of Franklinton at Lawrence Creek and the other at Sheridan just east of La. 62 over Bogue Lusa Creek.

DOTD had to replace the wooden pilings every few years. Pre-construction work is now underway as the two bridges will be replaced.

Compulov

Here's one we stopped at during the Morgantown, WV meet. The Robert C "Bob" Beach Bridge. They're doing some interesting stuff with composites.

Pete

The Dingman's Ferry Bridge over the Delaware River has a wooden deck. It's not on that major of a road, but it crosses a good sized river

roadman65

In Colts Neck, NJ there is a bridge that uses the same type of wood assemblies as telephone poles (and NC and SC traffic signals) that support a concrete and steel deck bridge.  I noticed it when we went on a class trip once back in 1981 to search for prehistoric fossils.  It carries a local road over a creek, but nonetheless a wooden structure.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Stephane Dumas

Forgive me for digging and unbury this old thread although it's not a major road. There's a modern wooden bridge made in 2014 located in the Cree Indian reservation of Mistissini, Quebec.
https://www.nordic.ca/en/projects/structures/mistissini-bridge
Location on Google maps
https://www.google.com/maps/@50.4189948,-73.8761386,1428m/data=!3m1!1e3

MCRoads

I think general forum ettiqute is that any thread that hasn't been bumped in over a year should just stay like it is. In future I would recommend just making a new thread, and linking to this one if so desired.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

Rothman

Quote from: MCRoads on September 06, 2020, 09:53:20 PM
I think general forum ettiqute is that any thread that hasn't been bumped in over a year should just stay like it is. In future I would recommend just making a new thread, and linking to this one if so desired.
Nah.  I think this thread was fine to be revived for this particular purpose.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: MCRoads on September 06, 2020, 09:53:20 PM

The exact opposite, actually. He stated he was reopening a thread, and provided input related to the subject.

No reason to create a new thread. We have too many duplicate threads as is.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.