News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Highest overpasses

Started by Some_Person, February 08, 2013, 11:05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

MCRoads

Quote from: Bobby5280 on February 21, 2021, 11:38:54 AM
QuoteBetter not go to Dallas then, this ramp is 138 feet tall! That is as high as a 12 story building!

I've driven thru the Dallas High Five interchange many times, including on those top level ramps. The ramps are really tall, but they don't seem all that bad due to all the other ramps nearby and other levels of bridges running underneath. In Wichita Falls that tall flyover ramp from EB Kell Freeway to I-44 is more isolated and out in the open. That allows the height of that ramp to seem more exaggerated, even if it isn't as tall as the top level ramps in the Dallas High Five interchange.
Well then, you will like the I-110/I-105 HOV connectors! At 130 ft (according to Wikipedia), these ramps are almost as high as the High Five, but without as many ramps on that level. Looking at street view, you can see an incredible, uninstructed view as to how high the bridges are.

(I'll add GSV links later, as I am on mobile, and GSV isn't super friendly with module links on desktop.)

In fact, it is notable enough that it is the only interchanges I can think of off the top of my head that is used as a plot device in a book. In one of the Jack Reacher books, it was used as a vantage point to look into the nearby neighborhoods.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

ethanhopkin14

This one I think is deceiving.  The closer one is signed as 20' 5" so the much taller one must be....much taller. 

roadman65

Quote from: paulthemapguy on October 23, 2018, 09:50:08 AM
On a similar note as the post above, I-64 over US19 in Beckley, WV springs to mind, of the high overpasses I have seen from my own POV:

https://goo.gl/maps/ZCpcrx6XHuS2

Then there is one high one over I-64 at the end of this bridge.
https://goo.gl/maps/H9hQGDJEADVTAfUT7
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Quote from: roadman65 on February 23, 2021, 03:27:29 PM

On a similar note as the post above, I-64 over US19 in Beckley, WV springs to mind, of the high overpasses I have seen from my own POV:

Is that for a road that isn't even used anymore?  What was its original purpose?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on February 23, 2021, 03:42:00 PM

Is that for a road that isn't even used anymore?  What was its original purpose?

It sure looks used to me, and not even just by drivers; by yard salers too!

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on February 23, 2021, 03:49:05 PM

No, the one over I-64.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on February 23, 2021, 03:54:12 PM
Quote from: webny99 on February 23, 2021, 03:49:05 PM

No, the one over I-64.

Sorry, I realized my misunderstanding, but not fast enough to get my edit in before your reply.

Based on your link, I suspect it's a pedestrian and possibly ATV crossing.

Or maybe just a really long driveway to provide access to these properties.

Dirt Roads

That was definitely a railroad track.  Even though it looks like a private driveway to the east of the bridge

Although its my "home road", I wasn't involved in much branch line work.  This track was connected to the track you can see just to the north of I-64, which is the CSX Piney Creek Subdivision (a former Chesapeake & Ohio branch line to Beckley, Mabscott and Glen Daniels).  Back in my days, there were two branches to the south in this area: the Glade Creek & Raleigh sub and the Raleigh, Southwestern & Winding Gulf sub.  Since part of the RS&WG is still working, my guess is the line crossing over I-64 was the Glade Creek & Raleigh sub.  There were some privately owned mine tracks in that area (but none of those directly connected to the Piney Creek sub as far back as the 1980 timetable).

Note that Glade Creek is same one as I-64 bridges over the Glade Creek Gorge further east of here.  Not as spectacular as the New River Gorge Bridge, but the Phil MacDonald Bridge sits 700 feet above the gorge and the main span is just a hair over 780 feet long.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: kphoger on February 24, 2021, 09:57:08 AM
It was a railroad, yet there's a hard curb along the gutter?

Yeah, I am not buying the railroad thing either.  According to historical aerials, it was never anything other than a road.  The bridge was being constructed in 1986 and was already a dirt road in 1990.  In general, railroads don't get abandoned that fast.  I will also say this is my opinion and I have never been to this area, not am I familiar with the history there.

webny99

I would also agree that it probably is not a railroad. It doesn't look anything like a typical railroad crossing. It looks like a regular bridge that's only half the normal width (one lane instead of two). Which is why I'm standing by my original assertion:

Quote from: webny99 on February 23, 2021, 04:03:01 PM
I suspect it's a pedestrian and possibly ATV crossing.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on February 24, 2021, 11:29:08 AM
Yeah, I am not buying the railroad thing either.  According to historical aerials, it was never anything other than a road.  The bridge was being constructed in 1986 and was already a dirt road in 1990.  In general, railroads don't get abandoned that fast.  I will also say this is my opinion and I have never been to this area, not am I familiar with the history there.

What caught my attention is the near perfect arc coming off the west end of the bridge curling northwest and connecting to the Piney Creek Sub down along the creek below.  That looks like an excavation cut almost the entire distance.  Also, the width of that bridge deck is substandard even for roads back in the 1980s.  It's interesting that today's GSV is drawing a road curling southwest off the bridge and zig-zagging towards the town below.  I can't find any evidence of that one.

The Chessie System timetable (1980) shows the trackage on the Glade Creek and Raleigh sub connecting the "stations" of Blue Jay Junction, Glen Morgan and Beaver.  And sure enough, this one checks out.  Glen Morgan is down on Piney Creek below this bridge, so this "station" would have been close to where the bridge is today.  If you rotate GSV away from the bridge, the backroad is a perfect railroad grade continuing as Mountain Edge Road and connecting tangent to CR-9/9 and later CR-9/8 (Orchard Hill Road) almost all the way into "downtown" Beaver.  Add a thick Appalachian accent here "We don't have many roads like that in West Virginia, if yoo know whut I mean".  But I do wonder why the last half-mile of Orchard Hill Road veers away from the railroad grade.

Chances are good that the trackage was abandoned in place at the time that I-64 was being designed, so DOH probably designed the bridge to accommodate both either a track or road.  West Virginia was reticent to cut off trackage access to big coal mines that might ever be able to reopen.  About the only way to know for sure is to check whether the bridge was designed for railroad loads (including a layer of track ballast, crossties and rails on the deck).

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Dirt Roads on February 24, 2021, 03:04:45 PM
What caught my attention is the near perfect arc coming off the west end of the bridge curling northwest and connecting to the Piney Creek Sub down along the creek below.  That looks like an excavation cut almost the entire distance.  Also, the width of that bridge deck is substandard even for roads back in the 1980s.  It's interesting that today's GSV is drawing a road curling southwest off the bridge and zig-zagging towards the town below.  I can't find any evidence of that one.

The Chessie System timetable (1980) shows the trackage on the Glade Creek and Raleigh sub connecting the "stations" of Blue Jay Junction, Glen Morgan and Beaver.  And sure enough, this one checks out.  Glen Morgan is down on Piney Creek below this bridge, so this "station" would have been close to where the bridge is today.  If you rotate GSV away from the bridge, the backroad is a perfect railroad grade continuing as Mountain Edge Road and connecting tangent to CR-9/9 and later CR-9/8 (Orchard Hill Road) almost all the way into "downtown" Beaver.  Add a thick Appalachian accent here "We don't have many roads like that in West Virginia, if yoo know whut I mean".  But I do wonder why the last half-mile of Orchard Hill Road veers away from the railroad grade.

Chances are good that the trackage was abandoned in place at the time that I-64 was being designed, so DOH probably designed the bridge to accommodate both either a track or road.  West Virginia was reticent to cut off trackage access to big coal mines that might ever be able to reopen.  About the only way to know for sure is to check whether the bridge was designed for railroad loads (including a layer of track ballast, crossties and rails on the deck).

Found a map of coal mines on the Chesapeake & Ohio at the West Virginia State Archives showing the "station" of Blue Jay Junction and this particular trackage.  Not conclusive yet, but it does show something that I ought to clarify.  This map shows the C&O portion of the Glade Creek and Raleigh branch curling off to the southeast, and a private railroad (probably owned by a coal company) branching off from that and going southwest toward Beaver then turning south to Daniels.  So much of what I described above is likely the same railroad, except the portion running westward along Orchard Hill Road probably never belonged to the C&O/Chessie.  I wonder if the Glade Creek and Raleigh branch followed what's now Orchard Hill Road eastward over towards the Airport Road exit on I-64.

https://westvirginiaarchiveshistory.zenfolio.com/p974981478/h86778b94#h86778c44
[Not a lot of detail here.  There's a back side of this map with text only showing the names of the coal mines shown.]

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Dirt Roads on February 23, 2021, 10:32:32 PM
That was definitely a railroad track.  Even though it looks like a private driveway to the east of the bridge

Quote from: webny99 on February 23, 2021, 04:03:01 PM
I suspect it's a pedestrian and possibly ATV crossing.

Quote from: webny99 on February 24, 2021, 01:21:21 PM
I would also agree that it probably is not a railroad. It doesn't look anything like a typical railroad crossing. It looks like a regular bridge that's only half the normal width (one lane instead of two). Which is why I'm standing by my original assertion:

You'all are correct.  I found a 1983 topo map with I-64 under construction that already shows the railroad gone and an unimproved road in its place.  It only shows an unimproved road spiraling northwest off the bridge (that was drawn on yesterday's GSV, but was gone today).  It looks like that road connected down to two houses on the south side of the railroad that would have been landlocked by the construction of I-64.  There's no evidence of those houses today.  Also, it's not obvious that the old Glade Creek and Raleigh branch was going down through a cut in a northeastward spiral.  That looks like a real cove.

https://www.topoquest.com/map.php?lat=37.75777&lon=-81.15398&datum=nad83&zoom=2&map=auto&coord=d&mode=zoomin&size=m&cross=on

webny99

Quote from: webny99 on January 31, 2021, 10:08:37 PM
I-480 over Valley Pkwy in Fairview Park, OH (just outside Cleveland).

Here's another Cleveland-area example that I don't think has been mentioned yet: I-271 over Riverside Road near Cuyahoga National Park.

SkyPesos

webny99

Quote from: webny99 on March 02, 2021, 06:11:46 PM
Quote from: webny99 on January 31, 2021, 10:08:37 PM
I-480 over Valley Pkwy in Fairview Park, OH (just outside Cleveland).
Here's another Cleveland-area example that I don't think has been mentioned yet: I-271 over Riverside Road near Cuyahoga National Park.

Keeping my Cleveland theme going with I-90 near downtown. Great view from above, too.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

SkyPesos

Unrelated with the thread, but found something else that's rare in Ohio from that above example

Green enhanced mile markers  :wow:

webny99

kphoger

Puente Santa Lucía

GSV from the lower road is unfortunately out of date, but...  here's the view down from above.  And here is one of the pilings from below, during construction.  You can see both roads in this user-submitted photo.
Male pronouns, please.

Steve.S

Jeremiah Morrow bridge (I-71) over the Little Miami bike trail (and Little Miami River), near Oregonia, OH.

Bonus GSV shot of one of the old spans still in place during bridge replacement construction a few years ago:

https://goo.gl/maps/21QhhEUomcnbcGVG9
Semper ubi sub ubi.

webny99

How about this one in Harrisburg, PA?

empirestate

Quote from: webny99 on October 21, 2021, 08:48:53 AM
How about this one in Harrisburg, PA?

That's definitely one that I'd distinguish as a viaduct rather than an overpass.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.