Drive from France to Canada in an Hour!

Started by ghYHZ, July 09, 2016, 01:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghYHZ

Presently there's a passenger only ferry.....but beginning in late 2017 you'll be able to drive aboard a new ferry in St. Pierre-Miquelon and off in Fortune NL.......France to Canada in an hour! (scroll down here for English)

http://www.damen.com/en/news/2016/04/la_collectivite_territoriale_de_st_pierre_et_miquelon_selects_damen_for_two_fast_ferries

http://www.tourisme-saint-pierre-et-miquelon.com/en/2-discover.html

Looks like some SPM plated vehicles sitting on the dock in Fortune in this Street-View link. And just guessing here.....they must be barged across now on an irregular basis.

https://goo.gl/maps/q5wvtH2ToqM2

Just last week I spotted an SPM plated vehicle at our local McDonalds. We're on the TCH so any vehicle from St. Pierre heading west after coming off the Newfoundland Ferry would probably pass through here.

MisterSG1

Quote from: ghYHZ on July 09, 2016, 01:37:34 PM
Presently there's a passenger only ferry.....but beginning in late 2017 you'll be able to drive aboard a new ferry in St. Pierre-Miquelon and off in Fortune NL.......France to Canada in an hour! (scroll down here for English)

http://www.damen.com/en/news/2016/04/la_collectivite_territoriale_de_st_pierre_et_miquelon_selects_damen_for_two_fast_ferries

http://www.tourisme-saint-pierre-et-miquelon.com/en/2-discover.html

Looks like some SPM plated vehicles sitting on the dock in Fortune in this Street-View link. And just guessing here.....they must be barged across now on an irregular basis.

Just last week I spotted an SPM plated vehicle at our local McDonalds. We're on the TCH so any vehicle from St. Pierre heading west after coming off the Newfoundland Ferry would probably pass through here.

Would have much preferred if you called the topic "Drive from France to NEWFOUNDLAND in an hour"

My late grandmother always proclaimed that "Canada ends at Halifax" and she is absolutely right.

jakeroot

Pretty sure NL is the only place in North America where you regularly see European-plated vehicles.

For that matter, I'm pretty sure SPM is the only place in North America with European-sized plates.

SignGeek101

Quote from: MisterSG1 on July 09, 2016, 02:18:52 PM
My late grandmother always proclaimed that "Canada ends at Halifax" and she is absolutely right.

Huh? I think I'm missing something here. NL, formed in 1949, was Canada's tenth province. Even though their road signs IMO are the worst in the country, Newfoundland is just another province, no?

I wouldn't mind visiting SPM though. It's a little part of Europe, right here in North America.

corco

Just last week I spotted an SPM plated vehicle at our local McDonalds. We’re on the TCH so any vehicle from St. Pierre heading west after coming off the Newfoundland Ferry would probably pass through here.

Great News! A Dacia Sandero in Canada!

ghYHZ

Tell that to someone from Cape Breton! 

ghYHZ

Quote from: SignGeek101 on July 09, 2016, 04:52:22 PM

Huh? I think I'm missing something here. NL, formed in 1949, was Canada's tenth province.

Newfoundland wasn't formed in 1949......it was a colony of Great Britain that joined Canada on March 31, 1949.

Prior to that.....anyone entering Canada from Newfoundland was processed through Customs just like anyone coming from a foreign country. A coworkers parents were born Newfoundlanders but overnight on March 31/49....became Canadians!

MisterSG1

Huh? I think I'm missing something here. NL, formed in 1949, was Canada's tenth province. Even though their road signs IMO are the worst in the country, Newfoundland is just another province, no?

I wouldn't mind visiting SPM though. It's a little part of Europe, right here in North America.

See that's the thing, Newfoundland wasn't "created" in 1949 from the Northwest Territories like the prairie provinces were, from 1907 to 1948, Newfoundland was a country in the same sense Canada was. Essentially when Newfoundland joined Canada, it's like trying to picture New Zealand becoming a state of Australia.

Like Brexit, the 1948 referendums were a very close vote, with a very slim majority opting to join Canada, and this was due mostly to Joseph Smallwood's brainwashing, really I've done a lot of investigation and research myself on these referendums and there was something clearly rotten about the whole process, my grandmother voted for "Responsible government" in that referendum. The day after the vote happened, all the ballots were burned.

Also what's interesting is when Newfoundland was gobbled up by Canada, all of Newfoundland's history became forgotten....for instance, July 1 is a very sacred day in Newfoundland, it was the day of a massacre in 1916, 100 years ago at Beaumont-Hamel, which is part of the Battle of the Somme. Also, Newfoundland had absolutely nothing to do with what is generally seen as Canada's battle, Vimy Ridge, and thus that memorial on the $20 means absolutely nothing to me. Also the Newfoundlanders were at Gallipoli on the eastern front, the Canadians were not in this battle so who gives a crap right.

So yes SignGeek, Newfoundland wasn't just "another province", it was actually it's own country at one point.

ghYHZ

....... Even though their road signs IMO are the worst in the country, Newfoundland is just another province, no?

Really don't see anything wrong with signs in Newfoundland (but hay.....I wouldn't even know what clearview is!)

english si

A ro-ro ferry isn't really 'drive'. It's more like 'park up, wait some time while actual movement takes place, drive off'. But interesting that St Pierre and Miquelon will be connected will be connected with Canada.

Of course, the trade deal that would be needed to justify it has been stalled over an unrelated visa dispute between Romania/Bulgaria (where most of the EU only extended free-movement to in the last two year) and Canada, and the biggest cheerleader for EU-wider world trade deals has recently decided that it shouldn't be held hostage by 27 other countries having a veto on its trade policy and thus must go its own way.

ghYHZ

Quote from: english si on July 09, 2016, 06:13:39 PM
A ro-ro ferry isn't really 'drive'. It's more like 'park up, wait some time while actual movement takes place, drive off'.

Yes....I think most people realize that but it's a common enough term here with our numerous ferry operations! You drive-on the ferry then drive-off at your destination.

oscar

Quote from: ghYHZ on July 09, 2016, 05:46:43 PM
....... Even though their road signs IMO are the worst in the country, Newfoundland is just another province, no?

Really don't see anything wrong with signs in Newfoundland (but hay.....I wouldn't even know what clearview is!)

The standard black-text-on-white-squares standard signs are ... functional. But the more elaborate named-route signs are really cool, like these:

my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Henry

I never realized that you could make it from Canada to France in an hour. These ferries must be really fast to achieve that feat!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

english si

You can drive from France to Brazil without need for boats - here's the border control (taken by wikipedia user Loljules)

7/8

I knew there was a ferry from SPM to Newfoundland, but I just assumed it accepted cars (I guess I was wrong).

I hope they add GSV of the islands once the ferry is open  :)

Now that SPM will soon be connected to North America by car, the 407 will need to add SPM licence plates to their system for billing :-D

ModernDayWarrior

But the real question is this: when will they be building the new bridge for the North American Interstate Highway System, finally connecting Saint Pierre and Miquelon to Alanland?  :)

vdeane

They are both among the 15 North American countries... perhaps there will be a link to the European interstate system?

Quote from: TheAlan360 on August 31, 2012, 03:19:19 PM
How About having the North American Interstate Highway System, in all 15 North American countries, the countries will be, the U.S., Mexico, Canada, Alaska, Yukon, Northwest Terrtiories, Nunavut, Quebec, Greenland, Iceland, Alanland, Hawaii, Bermuda, Belize, and Saint Pierre and Miquelon, not central america, caribbean, or south america because i considered them other continents, and i would also like to have to have the interstate highway system in Europe and Australia, in Europe will have them in every country, like the UK, France or Spain, and in Australia will have them also in every country, like in Australia (Nation), or New Zealand, and this interstates can also be in Antarctica, and maybe South Africa, because in Antarctica theres only 1 or 2 countries, and about 5 or 6 Territories, and in South Africa because it looks like Europe, Australia, or North America, and those continents like North America, Europe, and Australia do look alike along with Antarctica and South Africa, theres my plan
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ghYHZ

The new passenger & vehicles ferries have arrived and will enter service next spring between Saint-Pierre et Miquelon and Fortune, Newfoundland.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/new-ferries-arrive-st-pierre-miquelon-1.4425096

https://goo.gl/maps/NwbF32FKzUG2

theroadwayone

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Alps

abefroman329

english si

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 28, 2018, 10:58:00 AMHaving just read the first post, my addition is "Warning: May Cause Headaches."
Before long, you'd want to change that to "May or may not cause headaches"

hotdogPi

Quote from: english si on March 28, 2018, 05:54:17 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on March 28, 2018, 10:58:00 AMHaving just read the first post, my addition is "Warning: May Cause Headaches."
Before long, you'd want to change that to "May or may not cause headaches"

Will and will not.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.