News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Covid vaccination status?

Started by hbelkins, March 04, 2021, 09:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your covid vaccination status?

I have taken the first shot, but not yet taken the second one.
22 (16.4%)
I have taken both shots.
74 (55.2%)
I plan to take the one-dose shot when it's available in my area.
4 (3%)
My priority group is not yet eligible, but I plan to take it when I can.
16 (11.9%)
I have not had covid and I don't plan to take the shot at all.
14 (10.4%)
I've already had covid so I don't need to/don't plan to take the shot.
3 (2.2%)
I've already had covid but I do plan to take the shot.
7 (5.2%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on May 09, 2021, 02:26:45 PM
Quote from: noelbotevera on May 08, 2021, 10:03:21 PM
Got the second shot yesterday; I'll be all-clear by May 21st. Went on to get a fondue dinner that night and then took the SATs the following morning.

Yes, I'm tired.

Also, what if we injected both vaccines at the same time? Double the immunity, y'all. Use up that unused stock faster.

I saw an unsourced reference over the weekend about someone who had taken both doses of both the Pfizer and Moderna shots, and still ended up catching it.

Quote from: Rothman on May 08, 2021, 11:30:52 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on May 08, 2021, 11:20:21 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 08, 2021, 11:16:53 PM
The problem in America right now is not vaccine supply, it's vaccine demand.
12-15 year olds getting vaccinated will get a boost for sure.
I do think the reluctant or indignant adults are still a stupefying issue.  What brats.

Still can't accept that some people think differently than you do?
Oh, I accept that.  They can think any way they like.  They're still wrong and only out of a stubborn ignorance that, in the end, is only causing the unnecessary delay of the re-opening of society.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

JayhawkCO

It's callous to say, and I feel like a bad person for doing so, but I think the only way that we get herd immunity is for the science-minded folks to get vaccinated and everyone else just needs to have enough of "their" population catch it and we can maybe get up to 75-80%.

Chris

SectorZ

Quote from: jayhawkco on May 09, 2021, 04:17:04 PM
It's callous to say, and I feel like a bad person for doing so, but I think the only way that we get herd immunity is for the science-minded folks to get vaccinated and everyone else just needs to have enough of "their" population catch it and we can maybe get up to 75-80%.

Chris

I'm fine with this.

Roadgeekteen

Got the second shot yesterday; I'll be all-clear by May 21st. Went on to get a fondue dinner that night and then took the SATs the following morning.

Yes, I'm tired.

Also, what if we injected both vaccines at the same time? Double the immunity, y'all. Use up that unused stock faster.

I saw an unsourced reference over the weekend about someone who had taken both doses of both the Pfizer and Moderna shots, and still ended up catching it.

Did they have any symptoms?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Rothman

Quote from: SectorZ on May 09, 2021, 04:44:14 PM

Chris

I'm fine with this.
Problem is that there are already signs that those that have had it will have an immunity that lasts shorter than the vaccinated.  Also, those that catch it may not die, but may end up with all sorts of respiratory issues.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Scott5114

Yeah, I definitely wish I would have acquired my initial immunity through a vaccination than actually catching it. I'm more or less back to normal, seven months later, except now I can't stand peanut butter, whereas before I had covid I loved it.

The problem is at some point we have to let those who decided not to get vaccinated live with the consequences of that decision–which might include them catching it–and let the rest of us return to normal. Never-ending social distancing protocols for those that did get vaccinated won't work.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

tolbs17

Rothman

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Rothman on May 09, 2021, 05:47:35 PM
Quote from: SectorZ on May 09, 2021, 04:44:14 PM

Chris

I'm fine with this.
Problem is that there are already signs that those that have had it will have an immunity that lasts shorter than the vaccinated.  Also, those that catch it may not die, but may end up with all sorts of respiratory issues.

Then at this point (or in the next two months or so), that's on them.  Those of us that have gotten vaccinated have done it not only for ourselves but for others.  At some point, if they refuse "the help", then we leave them stranded on the side of the road so to speak.

Chris

Roadgeekteen

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

J N Winkler

At this point, I'm more worried about out-of-control spikes in countries like India than I am about the vaccine-hesitant here in the US, since it is heavy case loads that drive the emergence of vaccine-resistant variants.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: J N Winkler on May 09, 2021, 07:09:04 PM
At this point, I'm more worried about out-of-control spikes in countries like India than I am about the vaccine-hesitant here in the US, since it is heavy case loads that drive the emergence of vaccine-resistant variants.
That's why we need to be sending vaccines to India.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 09, 2021, 07:12:27 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on May 09, 2021, 07:09:04 PM
That's why we need to be sending vaccines to India.

India has also been reluctant to take any other mitigation measures. Vaccines alone won't stop their current disaster.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

CoreySamson

Let me explain myself. Personally, the only vaccine I feel comfortable taking right now is the Sinovac (even though it is made in China), simply because it is based off a tried and true method of vaccination (using a dead virus to produce an immune response). The others are relatively new, and we don't exactly know everything about them in the long term. I'm not sure how they would react with my body (as I mentioned earlier in the thread, I have some nasty allergies) since my body's never been injected with it before. That being said, I will get one in about 1-2 years once we know more about the side effects of the other vaccines.

I would also prefer that America focus on donating its vaccines to other nations to help those in greatest need. An 80 year old in India needs a vaccine's help more than I do.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: CoreySamson on May 09, 2021, 07:20:01 PM
Let me explain myself. Personally, the only vaccine I feel comfortable taking right now is the Sinovac (even though it is made in China), simply because it is based off a tried and true method of vaccination (using a dead virus to produce an immune response). The others are relatively new, and we don't exactly know everything about them in the long term. I'm not sure how they would react with my body (as I mentioned earlier in the thread, I have some nasty allergies) since my body's never been injected with it before. That being said, I will get one in about 1-2 years once we know more about the side effects of the other vaccines.

I would also prefer that America focus on donating its vaccines to other nations to help those in greatest need. An 80 year old in India needs a vaccine's help more than I do.
You could get Johnson and Johnson once you turn 18.

corco

Yes, I'm tired.

Come on, HB, I thought you were a trained journalist - why are you citing "unsourced references" as evidence in a discussion

MikeTheActuary

Let me explain myself. Personally, the only vaccine I feel comfortable taking right now is the Sinovac (even though it is made in China), simply because it is based off a tried and true method of vaccination (using a dead virus to produce an immune response). The others are relatively new, and we don't exactly know everything about them in the long term.

Just FYI, the technology behind the Astra-Zenica, Sputnik V, and J&J vaccines has been in use for years, primarily for Ebola vaccines.  I'm not aware of any long-term effects having been raised as a concern.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: corco on May 09, 2021, 07:33:45 PM

Yes, I'm tired.

Come on, HB, I thought you were a trained journalist - why are you citing "unsourced references" as evidence in a discussion
I normally don't really treat anecdotical data as super reliable, but it does prove that it's not impossible to catch it after getting vaccinated. I do wonder, though, if it was less than two weeks after the second shot.

webny99

The others are relatively new, and we don't exactly know everything about them in the long term.

If this was last November or December, then you might have a point. But vaccines don't cause side-effects years down the road. If there were major issues, especially disastrous, large-scale issues, we would already know about them by now. 

Roadgeekteen

Even if there is some risk, I think that the Covid disease itself has more well-known and worrying side effects.

Jim

I believe that today was the first time my vaccination status, now a little over 3 months past 2nd Pfizer, got me something other than the obvious and most important benefit of greatly reducing my covid risk.  I went out to the Syracuse Mets game today and while my daughter still needed to take a rapid test (results at the gate in under 15 minutes), I just had to present my card and ID.  When I went to NCAA Hockey tournament games in Albany several weeks ago, NY was still requiring a PCR test even for the vaccinated.  I do think it was more than a little silly to enforce masking (pretty much 100% compliance from what I saw, except for those seated) and distancing when every single person in this outdoor venue had to prove vaccination status or get a negative test to gain entry.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Jim on May 09, 2021, 08:17:13 PM
I believe that today was the first time my vaccination status, now a little over 3 months past 2nd Pfizer, got me something other than the obvious and most important benefit of greatly reducing my covid risk.  I went out to the Syracuse Mets game today and while my daughter still needed to take a rapid test (results at the gate in under 15 minutes), I just had to present my card and ID.  When I went to NCAA Hockey tournament games in Albany several weeks ago, NY was still requiring a PCR test even for the vaccinated.  I do think it was more than a little silly to enforce masking (pretty much 100% compliance from what I saw, except for those seated) and distancing when every single person in this outdoor venue had to prove vaccination status or get a negative test to gain entry.
Aren't 15 minute tests not that reliable?

Rothman

The experts have tested the vaccines and assured their safety.  But, talk to a doctor about your allergy concerns if you want to.  I've got two sisters-in-law that were recommended not to take it because of some rare conditions that they have (one has Guillan-Barre).  Still, doctors know when exceptions should be made and when it is perfectly safe to get the vaccine.

Google is not a doctor and this idea that non-experts can make informed decisions by surfing the Internet should be added to Aristotle's logical fallacies.

Get thee to a doctor.  Otherwise, the decision you're making is hardly an informed one.

dkblake

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 09, 2021, 07:58:21 PM
I normally don't really treat anecdotical data as super reliable, but it does prove that it's not impossible to catch it after getting vaccinated. I do wonder, though, if it was less than two weeks after the second shot.

A 95% effective rate means that, after two weeks after your vaccination, you have a 5% of getting COVID when exposed to it. So yes, people can still get it, there are going to be people who get it, and there are going to be interested parties (journalists, vaccine resisters) who for different reasons want to amplify that.

The point is transmission. If you and your spouse are both vaccinated and you are exposed to COVID, then there's a 5% chance that you get it, a 0.25% chance (1 in 400) that your spouse gets it, a 0.0125% (1 in 8,000) chance a vaccinated person s/he meets gets it, and so forth. Sooner or later math wins and COVID loses.

I just got my second Pfizer dose today. Tired, but otherwise fine.
2dis clinched: 8, 17, 69(original), 71, 72, 78, 81, 84(E), 86(E), 88(E), 89, 91, 93, 97

Mob-rule: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/dblake.gif

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: dkblake on May 09, 2021, 10:02:02 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 09, 2021, 07:58:21 PM

A 95% effective rate means that, after two weeks after your vaccination, you have a 5% of getting COVID when exposed to it. So yes, people can still get it, there are going to be people who get it, and there are going to be interested parties (journalists, vaccine resisters) who for different reasons want to amplify that.

The point is transmission. If you and your spouse are both vaccinated and you are exposed to COVID, then there's a 5% chance that you get it, a 0.25% chance (1 in 400) that your spouse gets it, a 0.0125% (1 in 8,000) chance a vaccinated person s/he meets gets it, and so forth. Sooner or later math wins and COVID loses.

I just got my second Pfizer dose today. Tired, but otherwise fine.
Also if you get in and are asymptomatic the vaccine still mostly did it's job.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.