News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

When did state names disappear from Interstate Shields?

Started by DevalDragon, March 25, 2012, 01:12:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 03, 2012, 07:32:43 PM
Quote from: Steve on April 03, 2012, 07:06:31 PM
and so can US highways. (I wish.)

good luck with that.  as far as I know, Kansas was the last state to drop the state name, in 1978.  (except for New Mexico, which randomly put up a few in 2009!)

Kansas was the last state to drop the state name? You'd certainly never know it now; ever since I've been alive it seems they always follow the latest MUTCD to the letter!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

DaBigE

Quote from: Steve on April 03, 2012, 07:06:31 PM
I think there's a different between consistency and identical..ity..ness. All state route markers should be the same size and distinct from other highway markers (Wisconsin, this means you). County routes really should go to pentagons across the country, though I know that I will run up against opposition for even suggesting such a thing.

Good luck getting Wisconsin to change.

Not to get too far off-topic, while Wisconsin's state and county shields are similar, there are key differences.  The state shield is a combination/overlay of a rectangle and a triangle.  County shields are square with rounded corners.  When not drawn correctly (as many commercial manufacturers are gulty of sloppy replication), they do appear very similar.  The biggest difference is one is a number (state) and one is a letter (county).

"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

NE2

I think he's saying that the state shield looks very similar to a U.S. Highway shield.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hbelkins

Quote from: NE2 on April 08, 2012, 12:12:04 AM
I think he's saying that the state shield looks very similar to a U.S. Highway shield.

Yeah, I took a picture of a "WI 61" sign and didn't even realize it until I was reviewing my photos. Normally a sign goof like that jumps out at me, but the designs are so similar that it almost snuck by me.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

DaBigE

Reading the post again, I think you're right...that's what I get for posting on an empty stomach. :pan:  Either way, I predict a difficult battle (especially in this economy) to persuade any DOT to change a long-standing design (WisDOT Design Evolution: http://www.wisconsinhighways.org/route_markers.html#State).  In any case, I think it only really matters to us roadgeeks; I bet the general driving population doesn't even give it a second thought (unless tax dollars are suddenly used to fund a redesign). 

hbelkins

Quote from: DaBigE on April 08, 2012, 07:16:49 PM

Reading the post again, I think you're right...that's what I get for posting on an empty stomach. :pan:  Either way, I predict a difficult battle (especially in this economy) to persuade any DOT to change a long-standing design (WisDOT Design Evolution: http://www.wisconsinhighways.org/route_markers.html#State).  In any case, I think it only really matters to us roadgeeks; I bet the general driving population doesn't even give it a second thought (unless tax dollars are suddenly used to fund a redesign). 

Only roadgeeks (and a few closet roadgeeks) complained when Kentucky changed the design of the parkway markers in 2005 or so. I didn't hear any complaints about the use of tax dollars.

Isn't South Carolina the most recent state to makeover its state route markers? Can anyone comment on how that endeavor went over?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

DaBigE

Quote from: hbelkins on April 08, 2012, 09:29:21 PM
Only roadgeeks (and a few closet roadgeeks) complained when Kentucky changed the design of the parkway markers in 2005 or so. I didn't hear any complaints about the use of tax dollars.

While that may be true some places around the country, things are "touchy" to say the least around Wisconsin.  You can barely change a light bulb around here without someone armchair quarterbacking the decision.  I kid you not, changes to retroreflectivity standards and switching to title fonts for street name signs (as part of changes set forth by the MUTCD), created days of discussion/complaining on talk radio, not to mention numerous letters to the editor in papers across the state.  I don't personally see it changing in Wisconsin anytime soon, as I doubt the powers that be would see it as a high priority issue.

CentralCAroadgeek

Last summer, I've noticed this neutered I-5 shield. This one is located at the SB onramp from Laval Road.

Here's another neutered I-5 shield located just nearby.

Has anyone seen neutered shields like these elsewhere in California?

myosh_tino

Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on April 22, 2012, 01:07:35 PM
Last summer, I've noticed this neutered I-5 shield. This one is located at the SB onramp from Laval Road.

Here's another neutered I-5 shield located just nearby.

Has anyone seen neutered shields like these elsewhere in California?
Sadly, yes I have seen neutered I-80 and I-5 shields in northern California.  There are also some current FHWA spec (forgot what year, Jake would know) Interstate shields with no state name and a larger Series D "5" like those found in Oregon and Washington at on-ramps on I-5 in the central valley (I believe the ramp to north I-5 at CA-46 is one location).  I'm not sure if these are goofs or a lazy contractor but the one thing I noticed is the neutered reassurance shields are limited to one/two-digit interstates like I-5 and I-80.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

CentralCAroadgeek

Quote from: myosh_tino on April 22, 2012, 09:57:22 PM
(I believe the ramp to north I-5 at CA-46 is one location)

I have a picture of this. It's not on any ramp, but it's on the SB mainline.

Bickendan

Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on April 22, 2012, 01:07:35 PM
Neutered shield in California. *twitch*

Neutered ugly shield in California. *twitch twitch*

Walleye2013

Quote from: hbelkins on April 08, 2012, 09:29:21 PM
Quote from: DaBigE on April 08, 2012, 07:16:49 PM

Isn't South Carolina the most recent state to makeover its state route markers? Can anyone comment on how that endeavor went over?

it would make sense as the BGS's have regular squares, but Route Shields are blue with "South Carolina" on top

bzakharin

Interesting about I-295 in NJ. It seems most state name shields are older except on the northern portion which was built in the 90s. That is liberally sprayed with state name shields at the entrances. And I believe the reassurance assemblies have them too. But most newer assemblies in NJ don't have them.

discochris

I think most of the ones in Minnesota now no longer have the state name, but there are a pair (494 and 394) off Carlson Parkway in Minnetonka that still have them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.