News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

I-69 in KY

Started by Grzrd, September 20, 2010, 12:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avalanchez71

Quote from: codyg1985 on November 09, 2016, 07:19:55 AM
Quote from: amroad17 on November 08, 2016, 07:08:11 PM
It would be rather neat if Memphis was listed underneath Fulton.  :D  I know, I-69 probably will not reach Memphis for at least 15-20 years (if we are lucky), however, this is the way to get to Memphis if you live in Evansville, SW Indiana, or western Kentucky.  Why not?

Memphis would still be a logical control city since the Parkway dumps you onto US 51, which also has a control city of Memphis once you get to Tennessee.

However, Memphis is in Tennessee and why should the citizens of Kentucky pay for a sign that has a TN city if lieu of a logical KY one.  It isn't like I-65 south out of Nashville TN that has a control city of Huntsville.  There isn't a logical control city for TN unless you want it to read Ardmore TN or perhaps Spring Hill, Columbia or Pulaski.

codyg1985

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on February 06, 2017, 06:23:14 PM
It would be rather neat if Memphis was listed underneath Fulton.  :D  I know, I-69 probably will not reach Memphis for at least 15-20 years (if we are lucky), however, this is the way to get to Memphis if you live in Evansville, SW Indiana, or western Kentucky.  Why not?

Memphis would still be a logical control city since the Parkway dumps you onto US 51, which also has a control city of Memphis once you get to Tennessee.

However, Memphis is in Tennessee and why should the citizens of Kentucky pay for a sign that has a TN city if lieu of a logical KY one.  It isn't like I-65 south out of Nashville TN that has a control city of Huntsville.  There isn't a logical control city for TN unless you want it to read Ardmore TN or perhaps Spring Hill, Columbia or Pulaski.

Fulton, KY is about the same size as Ardmore, TN and Ardmore, AL combined, FWIW.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

hbelkins

Quote from: codyg1985 on February 06, 2017, 07:42:04 PM

Fulton, KY is about the same size as Ardmore, TN and Ardmore, AL combined, FWIW.

Having never been through Ardmore, I cannot speak to it, but I've been to or through Fulton several times, and it doesn't seem to be as big as it apparently is.

I think it's goofy to have Fulton listed on the Pennyrile Parkway at Henderson or where it intersects the WK. Fulton made sense for the Purchase at I-24, since it's the southern terminus of the Purchase, but even then I doubt if most traffic on the Purchase has Fulton as its ultimate destination. I'd venture to guess that most regional traffic is headed to Mayfield or Murray; more long-range travelers are likely going to Union City, Dyersburg or Memphis.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Captain Jack

Quote from: hbelkins on February 06, 2017, 09:00:08 PM
Quote from: codyg1985 on February 06, 2017, 07:42:04 PM

Having never been through Ardmore, I cannot speak to it, but I've been to or through Fulton several times, and it doesn't seem to be as big as it apparently is.

I think it's goofy to have Fulton listed on the Pennyrile Parkway at Henderson or where it intersects the WK. Fulton made sense for the Purchase at I-24, since it's the southern terminus of the Purchase, but even then I doubt if most traffic on the Purchase has Fulton as its ultimate destination. I'd venture to guess that most regional traffic is headed to Mayfield or Murray; more long-range travelers are likely going to Union City, Dyersburg or Memphis.

Kentucky has done a lot of goofy things in regards to signage along I-69.

It's goofy that Elizabethtown is used as a control city. I-69 doesn't get within 100 miles of there.
It's goofy that mileage is given for places such as Providence and Morganfield, yet never for Evansville or Union City.
It's goofy that no "Temp 69" or "To 69" signs are used along the US 41 stretch in Henderson County.

What kind of logic says a state should only use cities within that state as control cities? That is never a requirement. In Kentucky alone, Cincinnati, Nashville and Knoxville are all used as control cities. I guess they should take Nashville off of I-24 and replace it with Oak Grove.

IMO, Memphis and Evansville should be the control cities for the entire length between the two cities.

Life in Paradise

There is now a "To 69" sign on the overhead on US 41 South after you travel through the strip in Henderson.  I also don't know why there aren't more of those signs, especially in Indiana where I-69 stops at US 41.  To someone that didn't have a GPS or map around and was told to follow I-69 from Southern Indiana through Western KY, when they got to the sign in Evansville that says "I-69 Ends", I could see someone go WTF???  Since I don't consider this a temporary problem, since the bridge is a good 10+ years away, this stretch ought to be signed on how to get from one part of I-69 to another.  Just like the old days.

Buck87

Quote from: Captain Jack on February 07, 2017, 11:24:08 PM
It's goofy that Elizabethtown is used as a control city. I-69 doesn't get within 100 miles of there.

Is that just on the Western KY Parkway section?

hbelkins

I'm going to do some checking to see how long the Purchase/I-24 interchange construction project is going to be ongoing. Might do a road meet down that way if there's any interest.

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: Life in Paradise on February 08, 2017, 08:37:52 AM
There is now a "To 69" sign on the overhead on US 41 South after you travel through the strip in Henderson.  I also don't know why there aren't more of those signs, especially in Indiana where I-69 stops at US 41.  To someone that didn't have a GPS or map around and was told to follow I-69 from Southern Indiana through Western KY, when they got to the sign in Evansville that says "I-69 Ends", I could see someone go WTF???  Since I don't consider this a temporary problem, since the bridge is a good 10+ years away, this stretch ought to be signed on how to get from one part of I-69 to another.  Just like the old days.

The best option would be to label US-41 between the two sections as "Temporary I-69".   IIRC this was used fairly often between completed stretches of interstates during construction in the 60's.

The Ghostbuster

Does anyone see "Temporary I-xx" signs coming back? I certainly don't.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on February 08, 2017, 03:32:24 PM
Quote from: Life in Paradise on February 08, 2017, 08:37:52 AM

The best option would be to label US-41 between the two sections as "Temporary I-69".   IIRC this was used fairly often between completed stretches of interstates during construction in the 60's.

Ten years, I see the bridge more like twenty years if that out.

sparker

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 08, 2017, 06:40:35 PM

A satisfactory alternative would also be the simplest one: "TO (fill in direction) I-69" trailblazer sign assemblies along US 41 between the ends of the completed/signed I-69 segments.  And put enough of them up to actually be effective! 

hbelkins

I traveled the Pennyrile southbound last fall, where I-69 signage begins at what used to be KY 425 (southern bypass of Henderson) but is now US 41. I failed to notice if there are any "End I-69" signs going north on the Pennyrile at that exit.

Captain Jack

Quote from: Buck87 on February 08, 2017, 09:00:38 AM

No, where I-69 splits from I-24, Elizabethtown is used as the control city for I-69.

NE2

Which makes perfect sense. You're goofy.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Buck87

Quote from: Captain Jack on February 09, 2017, 11:08:34 PM

No, where I-69 splits from I-24, Elizabethtown is used as the control city for I-69.

...which is onto the Western KY Parkway. I'm assuming that exit always had Elizabethtown as the control city, and they left it that way.

hbelkins

Quote from: Buck87 on February 10, 2017, 10:00:37 AM

...which is onto the Western KY Parkway. I'm assuming that exit always had Elizabethtown as the control city, and they left it that way.

Yes, it's always been Elizabethtown. I can't remember if new signage was installed there, or if the old WK Parkway markers were removed and I-69 markers were posted to replace them.

codyg1985

Quote from: sparker on February 08, 2017, 09:06:20 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 08, 2017, 06:40:35 PM

A satisfactory alternative would also be the simplest one: "TO (fill in direction) I-69" trailblazer sign assemblies along US 41 between the ends of the completed/signed I-69 segments.  And put enough of them up to actually be effective! 

Louisiana is doing that in the Shreveport area to direct travelers between the disjointed section of I-49: https://www.google.com/maps/@32.4599074,-93.8333101,3a,32.4y,265.19h,87.37t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1svQdcH7Ia_npiBLk7jPLRkw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Cody Goodman

sparker

I wouldn't be surprised to see Evansville added to (or supplanting ) Elizabethtown on the BGS's at the NB I-69/EB I-24 split in the next couple of years, regardless of the progress on an Ohio River bridge -- particularly considering the modifications to the WKY/Breathitt interchange making I-69 the through facility.  The other way?  Fulton will likely remain the control city until some progress is made (!?) on SIU 8 in TN (with Memphis added or substituted as control city at that time). 

codyg1985

Quote from: sparker on February 14, 2017, 05:16:10 PM

I wouldn't be surprised to see Evansville added to (or supplanting ) Elizabethtown on the BGS's at the NB I-69/EB I-24 split in the next couple of years, regardless of the progress on an Ohio River bridge -- particularly considering the modifications to the WKY/Breathitt interchange making I-69 the through facility.  The other way?  Fulton will likely remain the control city until some progress is made (!?) on SIU 8 in TN (with Memphis added or substituted as control city at that time). 

Knowing KYTC, it would be Henderson they use as a control city for NB I-69.
Cody Goodman

sparker

Quote from: codyg1985 on February 15, 2017, 08:57:04 AM
Knowing KYTC, it would be Henderson they use as a control city for NB I-69.

Right -- if they're going to use a tiny burg like Fulton as a SB control city -- ostensibly because it's in-state, then Henderson would, it follows, be the obvious choice for NB 69.  Maybe KYTC will eventually put Evansville on a sign -- on the pull-through to the (future) I-69 Ohio River Bridge, whenever that occurs!   

hbelkins

Well, if this is any indication as to what will happen, this is what the new sign at the end of the Audubon Parkway looks like.

2016 Alabama Meet Trip Day 1 - 112 by H.B. Elkins, on Flickr

And you don't get a mention of Evansville until here.

2016 Alabama Meet Trip Day 1 - 120 by H.B. Elkins, on Flickr

sparker

Evansville on a single pull-through.  More or less what I guessed would happen.  Let's wait a few years and see if they do the same with the actual I-69 crossing!

Life in Paradise

Let's face it, on that one sign, Kentucky had run out of cities.  There are no KY cities on US 41 north from that point.  Interestingly enough, on I-69 at the intersection with I-64 north of Evansville, the sign shows I -69 South and lists Henderson, KY as one of the destination cities.  Perhaps we should change that just to spite and list Fulton now.

hbelkins

What I would suggest is that when the new bridge is built, US 41 to be signed for Henderson and Evansville, and I-69 for Indianapolis.

Quote from: Life in Paradise on February 17, 2017, 08:28:07 AM
Let's face it, on that one sign, Kentucky had run out of cities.  There are no KY cities on US 41 north from that point.  Interestingly enough, on I-69 at the intersection with I-64 north of Evansville, the sign shows I -69 South and lists Henderson, KY as one of the destination cities.  Perhaps we should change that just to spite and list Fulton now.

Which is a holdover from the I-164 days.  There isn't even a city posted for I-69 north, even though Indy could and should be posted.

mvak36

Sorry to change topic here, but does anyone know if they have started construction on the I-24/Purchase Pkwy interchange in Calvert City? Is it still scheduled to be completed in 2018?

Also, when the above project and the other 2 Purchase parkway interchanges are done, can it be signed as I-69?
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.