News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

San Bernardino, CA: Abandoned Divided Highway Reopened

Started by Brian556, February 18, 2018, 08:26:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

Max Rockatansky

Cajon Boulevard definitely has been repaved, it was gapped when I took this picture looking south towards the I-15/I-215 junction in 2012:

4253232221636 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Oddly the shame is now Cajon Boulevard won't be some old haggard piece of roadway that had random people like me popping in who knew it was a historic section of US 66.  That old dirt mound was sure a great place to take distance shots of the abandoned highway.

sparker

It was always a great place to take pictures of the parallel BNSF/UP rail lines; if it is indeed linked with the southern section of Cajon Blvd. extending north from San Bernardino, it'll almost certainly eventually (and invariably) become used as an alternate commute-time bypass of I-15 and I-215; the new pavement will be taking quite a beating!   

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: sparker on February 19, 2018, 01:38:41 AM
It was always a great place to take pictures of the parallel BNSF/UP rail lines; if it is indeed linked with the southern section of Cajon Blvd. extending north from San Bernardino, it'll almost certainly eventually (and invariably) become used as an alternate commute-time bypass of I-15 and I-215; the new pavement will be taking quite a beating!

Funny, I used to do exactly what you described.  The conductor would usually blow the horn on the locomotives if they saw up on the road taking photos:

4253235901728 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

But I think you hit on the real reason Cajon Boulevard reopened, the abandoned roadway was potentially way too handy not to be.  It looks like the road fully reopened to the Kenwood exit.  There is still abandoned lanes snaking up Cajon Boulevard to Cleghorn Road.

emory

Quote from: Brian556 on February 18, 2018, 08:26:10 PM
OLD US 66 (may have also been another #, but I'm too lazy to look it up)

Old US 66/91/395.

Max Rockatansky

mrsman

Max Rockatansky

^^^

All the videos are generally pretty good on that site, its just too bad they aren't active anymore and didn't really produce a ton of content.  I really wish that a lot more channels went into detail like that, the really old alignments suffice to say are something I have an interest in.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.