Football (North America: NFL, CFL, Arena Football, minor leagues)

Started by Stephane Dumas, July 29, 2012, 11:20:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MantyMadTown

I wonder how many teams are trying to tank this offseason? Don't count on them to make the playoffs this year :rolleyes:
Forget the I-41 haters

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: MantyMadTown on March 16, 2019, 04:06:53 PM
I wonder how many teams are trying to tank this offseason? Don't count on them to make the playoffs this year :rolleyes:
Dolphins, maybe Giants though they might just be drunkenly making moves.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

MantyMadTown

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 16, 2019, 04:26:59 PM
Quote from: MantyMadTown on March 16, 2019, 04:06:53 PM
Dolphins, maybe Giants though they might just be drunkenly making moves.

Out of all the teams that I like, the Giants are not one of them. I just can't respect them after how stupid they've been over the last few seasons.
Forget the I-41 haters

hotdogPi

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

oscar

Quote from: 1 on March 16, 2019, 04:53:27 PM
This is why we need a promotion/relegation system.

Until the AAF started up this season, there was no place where a lousy team could be relegated and replaced with a better team. Now there is an option, though differences from the NFL (such as the AAF rules devaluing place kickers, and the AAF season currently starting about a month after the NFL regular season ends and right after the NFL Super Bowl) could complicate things.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

jakeroot

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 16, 2019, 10:14:03 AM
LOL Dolphins are tanking hard.

Hey we're making moves. Fresh start. Tanny could take a hit but his few injuries benched him for too long. Need a new permanent QB. New coach is taken care of, Amendola is gone...gotta free up some cash.

But the plan next season is definitely to tank. Won't deny that.

MantyMadTown

Quote from: 1 on March 16, 2019, 04:53:27 PM
This is why we need a promotion/relegation system.

I don't think anything like that could work in America. The way our leagues are set up just doesn't allow us to do something like that here. Franchises are pretty much tied to whatever league they're in, and we don't really have any lower level professional league to play football for. There's now the AAF, but they're really trying to market that as a developmental league, which they already have for baseball, basketball, and hockey, and they don't have a promotion/relegation system even with minor league. The minor league teams pretty much stay there, plus there's the whole college sports thing and all that (and some people would rather cheer for their local college team than the closest NFL team). Not everyone can make their hometown team into the big leagues, unless you're already a big city. If the NFL was founded today, and we didn't have the promotion/relegation system, the Packers wouldn't even be in it, even though they've been a good NFL team for most of its existence.

Quote from: jakeroot on March 16, 2019, 05:55:34 PM

Hey we're making moves. Fresh start. Tanny could take a hit but his few injuries benched him for too long. Need a new permanent QB. New coach is taken care of, Amendola is gone...gotta free up some cash.

Hey, didn't know you were a Dolphins fan. I thought you would've liked the Seahawks since you're from the Seattle/Tacoma area. Interesting.
Forget the I-41 haters

Buck87

It would be hard enough just to get promotion/relegation in place for MLS, which actually plays the sport where that is common.

There ain't no way in hell it's going to happen in the NFL (or MLB, NBA or NHL for that matter)

jakeroot

Quote from: MantyMadTown on March 16, 2019, 06:31:10 PM

Hey, didn't know you were a Dolphins fan. I thought you would've liked the Seahawks since you're from the Seattle/Tacoma area. Interesting.

Fair assumption. Seahawks were doing really good about the time I started watching Football regularly, but I told myself I wouldn't be a bandwagon fan. So I follow the Dolphins like my father instead. Every other person in family is a Seahawks fan, except my mother (Dallas), my cousin (New England), and my uncle (LAR).

They can be a hard team to like. Ending with a .500+ record is a great season in my book, as are all wins against New England. I got to see the Miracle in Miami last December in person...that was the Superbowl of a lifetime (even if it wasn't a Superbowl, it was a great day for Miami fans).

cjk374

CRAP!!! Saint's center Max Unger has decided to retire. Earlier this week we lost Mark Ingram II to Baltimore. Great sadness for Saints fans. I don't know if I can't anymore sad news.  :-(
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: cjk374 on March 16, 2019, 08:23:51 PM
CRAP!!! Saint's center Max Unger has decided to retire. Earlier this week we lost Mark Ingram II to Baltimore. Great sadness for Saints fans. I don't know if I can't anymore sad news.  :-(

Your QB is turning 40.
You just gave a massive contract to a kicker.
Your defense still sucks.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

MantyMadTown

Quote from: jakeroot on March 16, 2019, 08:21:00 PM

Fair assumption. Seahawks were doing really good about the time I started watching Football regularly, but I told myself I wouldn't be a bandwagon fan. So I follow the Dolphins like my father instead. Every other person in family is a Seahawks fan, except my mother (Dallas), my cousin (New England), and my uncle (LAR).

They can be a hard team to like. Ending with a .500+ record is a great season in my book, as are all wins against New England. I got to see the Miracle in Miami last December in person...that was the Superbowl of a lifetime (even if it wasn't a Superbowl, it was a great day for Miami fans).

It's not really a bandwagon if you start liking your local team. Then again, I hate all the Seahawks bandwagon fans from when I was in high school :banghead:

That Miracle in Miami was great. I predicted Miami was gonna win that game, given their usual luck at home against New England, but I didn't expect them to win in that fashion. Wow.
Forget the I-41 haters

MantyMadTown

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 16, 2019, 09:25:14 PM

Your QB is turning 40.

Drew Brees is still clutch even at age 40. And although their secondary wasn't very good, they still had the 2nd-best rushing defense in the league.

Haters gonna hate.
Forget the I-41 haters

Roadgeekteen

Your QB is turning 40.
I thought that the defense has been good for the past 2 years?

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Roadgeekteen

Meaningless miracle.

cjk374

Quote from: MantyMadTown on March 16, 2019, 09:35:01 PM

Your QB is turning 40.

Drew Brees is still clutch even at age 40. And although their secondary wasn't very good, they still had the 2nd-best rushing defense in the league.

Haters gonna hate.

Drew turned 40 just before "the great striped robbery." There is lots of speculation that the 2019 season will be his last. I just hope he can win one more SB.

Big Nutz Lutz is apparently the best kicker in the league this past season. Maybe they didn't want a repeat of what happened with Morton Anderson?

Our defense was on and off...but more on than off. Especially compared to previous seasons.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

MantyMadTown

Quote from: cjk374 on March 16, 2019, 10:19:42 PM

Your QB is turning 40.

Haters gonna hate.

Drew turned 40 just before "the great striped robbery." There is lots of speculation that the 2019 season will be his last. I just hope he can win one more SB.

Big Nutz Lutz is apparently the best kicker in the league this past season. Maybe they didn't want a repeat of what happened with Morton Anderson?

Our defense was on and off...but more on than off. Especially compared to previous seasons.

I hope he can win another one too. But I wouldn't be too surprised if they don't win the Super Bowl again before he retires. The Saints have had lots of disappointments in the postseason since their lone Super Bowl victory, so it would be a miracle if they even make it again. First Beast Quake, then losing to the 49ers in a 4th quarter showdown, then the Minnesota Miracle, and now the refs making a bad call that cost them the NFC Championship.

As much as I'm hoping for the Saints to finally overcome their recent heartbreak, I don't see how it can happen this year. If they make the playoffs, something bad's probably going to happen to them like it always does. The Saints are probably one of the unluckiest teams in the NFL.
Forget the I-41 haters

jakeroot

Quote from: MantyMadTown on March 16, 2019, 09:25:27 PM
It's not really a bandwagon if you start liking your local team. Then again, I hate all the Seahawks bandwagon fans from when I was in high school :banghead:

That Miracle in Miami was great. I predicted Miami was gonna win that game, given their usual luck at home against New England, but I didn't expect them to win in that fashion. Wow.

Seahawks fans used to be pretty tame, but after the LOB and other garbage, they're just awful now.

It was a great game up to that point as well, making it all the better. Lots of scoring...tons of fun.

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 16, 2019, 09:36:24 PM
I got to see the Miracle in Miami last December in person...that was the Superbowl of a lifetime (even if it wasn't a Superbowl, it was a great day for Miami fans).
Meaningless miracle.

yeah well NE still lost. In Miami. again. but it was a more spectacular loss than usual!

Just for the record, the Pats are my second favorite team. which might sound like sacrilege from a dolphins fan, but my cousin, who is a huge Pats fan here in Seattle, has always been there for Miami, rooting for us at all opportunities. Plus, they're also AFC East, so I support the division. Basically I owe it to him. Plus, I mean...GOAT. obviously.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jakeroot on March 16, 2019, 11:11:54 PM
Quote from: MantyMadTown on March 16, 2019, 09:25:27 PM

Seahawks fans used to be pretty tame, but after the LOB and other garbage, they're just awful now.

It was a great game up to that point as well, making it all the better. Lots of scoring...tons of fun.

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 16, 2019, 09:36:24 PM
I got to see the Miracle in Miami last December in person...that was the Superbowl of a lifetime (even if it wasn't a Superbowl, it was a great day for Miami fans).
Meaningless miracle.

yeah well NE still lost. In Miami. again. but it was a more spectacular loss than usual!

Just for the record, the Pats are my second favorite team. which might sound like sacrilege from a dolphins fan, but my cousin, who is a huge Pats fan here in Seattle, has always been there for Miami, rooting for us at all opportunities. Plus, they're also AFC East, so I support the division. Basically I owe it to him. Plus, I mean...GOAT. obviously.
You are weird.

jakeroot

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 16, 2019, 11:52:29 PM
You are weird.

no I'm just not a prick like so many football fans. I recognize skill and root for it, but still support my team.

TheHighwayMan3561

Your QB is turning 40.

Haters gonna hate.

I was just giving cjk some shit in response to his "no more sad news"  quip.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jakeroot on March 17, 2019, 12:23:14 AM
You are weird.

no I'm just not a prick like so many football fans. I recognize skill and root for it, but still support my team.
Most football fans hate division rivals.

jakeroot

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 17, 2019, 10:35:49 AM
You are weird.

Yeah because they're needlessly competitive. I'm not.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: jakeroot on March 17, 2019, 01:16:47 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 17, 2019, 10:35:49 AM
You are weird.

Yeah because they're needlessly competitive. I'm not.

Certainly as a fan of football I would be the first to put Rodgers at the top of my QB list in terms of skill and playmaking. Doesn't mean I like watching it though.

Big John

They just signed Fitzpatrick as a short-term plan.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.