Football (North America: NFL, CFL, Arena Football, minor leagues)

Started by Stephane Dumas, July 29, 2012, 11:20:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buck87

Quote from: cjk374 on March 16, 2019, 10:19:42 PM
Drew turned 40 just before "the great striped robbery." There is lots of speculation that the 2019 season will be his last. I just hope he can win one more SB.

I'd be OK with that.

Saints win the 2019-20 season (while the Browns get some playoff experience), then the Browns can win the 2020-21 season before the lockout in 2021-22

Henry

Quote from: Buck87 on March 17, 2019, 03:55:31 PM
Quote from: cjk374 on March 16, 2019, 10:19:42 PM
Drew turned 40 just before "the great striped robbery." There is lots of speculation that the 2019 season will be his last. I just hope he can win one more SB.

I'd be OK with that.

Saints win the 2019-20 season (while the Browns get some playoff experience), then the Browns can win the 2020-21 season before the lockout in 2021-22
I thought it was baseball that was supposed to be headed for a lockout/strike in 2021. But being that the NFL has the shortest schedule of the four major sports leagues, it is the most susceptible to having an entire season lost to a work stoppage, though the NHL has managed to defy this (2004-05).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jakeroot

Quote from: Big John on March 17, 2019, 03:25:34 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on March 16, 2019, 05:55:34 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 16, 2019, 10:14:03 AM
LOL Dolphins are tanking hard.

Hey we're making moves. Fresh start. Tanny could take a hit but his few injuries benched him for too long. Need a new permanent QB. New coach is taken care of, Amendola is gone...gotta free up some cash.

But the plan next season is definitely to tank. Won't deny that.
They just signed Fitzpatrick as a short-term plan.

I have no opinion...yet. Seems like a lot of incentives.

mgk920

Quote from: Buck87 on March 16, 2019, 07:23:46 PM
It would be hard enough just to get promotion/relegation in place for MLS, which actually plays the sport where that is common.

There ain't no way in hell it's going to happen in the NFL (or MLB, NBA or NHL for that matter)

IMHO, the big 'wild card' here is the continually growing crescendo of off-the-field/court/etc **CR*P** that is going on in the NCAA.  If/when the NCAA implodes, then all bets will be off in that department.

Ditto the high school associations in many states.

A couple of years ago, the WIAA (Wisconsin Interscholastic Athletic Association) came just a very, very few votes shy of adopting a promotion and relegation system for high school state tournament 'class' assignments.

Mike

Alps

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

MantyMadTown

I hope the AAF starts again soon, maybe as an actual development league of the NFL.
Forget the I-41 haters

Alps

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

ilpt4u

Quote from: MantyMadTown on April 02, 2019, 09:50:07 PM
I hope the AAF starts again soon, maybe as an actual development league of the NFL.
The only way a true NFL Developmental League will fly, with access to NFL contracted athletes, is if it is a Fall League, during the NFL regular season

Run it from Week 1 until the trade deadline. Play games on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. I wouldn't pursue national tv rights either - I'd go to local OTA channels and cable RSNs, and/or single team streaming rights with no blackouts

That way teams have their "AAA"  or AHL players that can be called up for injury purposes or whatever.

Also, the NFLPA won't allow members to play 2 separate Professional Football seasons a year, so it needs to happen during the season

A NFL Development League needs to benefit the NFL and the Players. If it can be done other ways, great. I just don't think it can be

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: MantyMadTown on April 02, 2019, 09:50:07 PM

That's the only way it'll ever start up again.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

SP Cook

People always say they want more football.

Until given more football. 

Since the successful AFL of the 1960s, which was perfectly timed to take advantage of the growth of TV, and of stupid territorial and TV policies of the then NFL owners, there has been nearly a half-dozen leagues.  The WFL, the USFL, the CFL-USA, the XFL 1.0, and now the AAF.  All have simply run out of money in short order.  Even the NFL tried twice with "official" developmental leagues, first the USA-Canada-Europe WLAF, later revamped as the Europe only NFL E, which also failed eventually.  Next up is the XFL 2.0, but does anybody see it working? 

Nerdy side note.  Most of the USFL footage ended up with a stock film company.  For the next 15 years or so if there was a game on in the background of a TV show or movie, it was generally the USFL.  Look for the same to happen here.  The LA Express uniforms ended up being bought by a prop department and were used in a truly fantastically silly A-Team episode involving a football game in East Berlin.

Roadgeekteen

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kevinb1994

tchafe1978

The AAF recieved good ratings on the first weekend when the games were on CBS on national TV on a channel everyone could receive. It was new and people were interested to see what it looked like. The quality of play wasn't up to NFL standards, but that was ok, nobody expected it to be. But then the shine wore off, the games were relegated to second tier sports channels on cable, and people forgot about it, myself included. I think if they would have kept at least one game a week on CBS, and kept it fresh in everyone's mind, it may have had a better chance. But other's points about it needing to be a true developmental league are also true. Like other sports' minor and developmental leagues, it needs to play its season at the same time as the NFL. Problem with that is then you're also going up against the true NFL minor league, college football. Football is unique in the wear and tear on players' bodies, and short career length. Playing in a developmental league is also going to shorten a player's NFL career.

Roadgeekteen

1995hoo

Interesting timing for the AAF because the early game this Saturday was to have aired on CBS as lead-in programming to their Final Four coverage. Might or might not have gotten them some more attention.

I thought the concept was OK but that they should have started with a smaller geographical footprint to reduce travel costs.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

NWI_Irish96

Things the AAF should have done differently (some things already mentioned):

1) Have the games on channels that people get.  If CBS broadcast didn't want weekly games, at least get 2-3 of them per week on TNT and the rest on CBS Sports/NFL Network. 

2) Move games off Saturday-Sunday afternoons.  February-April has a lot of college basketball, plus the Daytona 500, PGA Players Championship and Masters on weekend afternoons.  Have the four games on Friday/Saturday/Sunday/Monday evenings.

3) Create affiliations between the AAF teams and NFL teams.  Maybe each AAF team has 3-4 NFL teams with whom they are affiliated and get first crack and "calling up" those players to their teams in the Fall.  Create a natural rooting interest for the 3/4 of the country where there wasn't a natural geographic rooting interest.  The closest team to me was over 500 miles away.  I had no team to naturally get invested in, but if one of them had an affiliation with the Bears, I'd have paid more attention.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 04, 2019, 10:14:32 AM
3) Create affiliations between the AAF teams and NFL teams.  Maybe each AAF team has 3-4 NFL teams with whom they are affiliated and get first crack and "calling up" those players to their teams in the Fall.  Create a natural rooting interest for the 3/4 of the country where there wasn't a natural geographic rooting interest.  The closest team to me was over 500 miles away.  I had no team to naturally get invested in, but if one of them had an affiliation with the Bears, I'd have paid more attention.

They did. There's a list here. (Tried to find a more official source but couldn't–perhaps part of the problem?)

Roadgeekteen

bing101

MNHighwayMan

SP Cook

Quote from: bing101 on May 06, 2019, 03:00:14 PM

The XFL has announced that ESPN and Fox Sports will air XFL games in 2020.

And the key thing here is the XFL, run by Ollie "Everything I touch turns to s***" Luck, is GIVING the TV rights to ESPN and Fox. 

So the AAF, which got a small rights fee from CBS and TNT, went broke in 8 weeks.  This deal has to pay the players, coaches, refs, rent the stadiums, travel, insurance, uniforms, etc. out of live gate. 

Four weeks.  I have faith in the total ineptitude of Ollie Luck.

nexus73

Quote from: bing101 on May 06, 2019, 03:00:14 PM
http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/26683501/xfl-games-air-espn-abc-fox-properties

The XFL has announced that ESPN and Fox Sports will air XFL games in 2020.

Now to see if XFL 2.0 can make it through a whole season including playoffs. 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.