News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

2015 Cincinnati Meet?

Started by JMoses24, December 24, 2014, 08:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMoses24

I want to start a thread to gauge interest in a possible Cincinnati metro area road meet for Spring 2015.

Possible locations: New I-71/Martin Luther King interchange, Ohio 32/I-275 interchange, I-75/Western Hills Viaduct area which has been under construction, new SPUI at KY 237 and KY 18 in Boone County that (by the time the meet happens) will be completed, and I-75/KY 536 where a new Diverging Diamond Interchange is still being considered.

I'm looking to do this in May or June.

jpi

Depending on what weekend I should be a go for this.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

bandit957

I'd be interested. The 2013 meet worked out really well because we started it close to town.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

getemngo

I have an incredible knack for missing Ohio meets. But as long as it's not Memorial Day weekend or the weekend of the Denver meet (May 30), I'm in.
~ Sam from Michigan

hbelkins

No preference on date or location from here, although I question why it was necessary to build a grade separation for 237 and 18, and why it was necessary to build a DDI at 75 and 536. They're also going to build a DDI at KY 338. Surely those exits can't be THAT congested. The KY 536 exit is relatively new; I remember years ago when it wasn't there.

That's close enough that I could drive up and back in a day if I can spare the cash for gas and the meal.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

amroad17

I will make plans to be there and actually be there the whole meet.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

JMoses24

Quote from: getemngo on December 24, 2014, 01:07:07 PM
I have an incredible knack for missing Ohio meets. But as long as it's not Memorial Day weekend or the weekend of the Denver meet (May 30), I'm in.

Plan is early on in one of those two months right now.

SSOWorld

Should I be one to go, I would prefer it to be late June or early May.  As I'm not likely to go to Denver, and I'm hosting Madison and going to the U.P meet (neither of which is to interfere), I'd say fine, but to go early June would risk elimination of those who would not have Cincy on their path home (assuming they drive that way).
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

JMoses24

Quote from: SSOWorld on December 25, 2014, 11:15:20 AM
Should I be one to go, I would prefer it to be late June or early May.  As I'm not likely to go to Denver, and I'm hosting Madison and going to the U.P meet (neither of which is to interfere), I'd say fine, but to go early June would risk elimination of those who would not have Cincy on their path home (assuming they drive that way).

If I could find the calendar, that would help -- I didn't see the date for the Madison one.

EDIT: I just saw that's April 18, which is my mom's birthday. The UP one, I cannot seem to find.

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

DanTheMan414

Sounds like a great opportunity!  I haven't had a chance to explore the Cincy area in quite awhile, and a lot has happened down there since the last time I did.  Early May would probably work best.

A.J. Bertin

I honestly don't have a ton of interest in attending another Cincinnati meet this soon after the last one I attended (October 2013) - especially since 2015 is shaping up to a be pretty busy year for me travel-wise (including trips to Madison, Denver, South Dakota, Seattle, Michigan's U.P., and Pittsburgh). I'm not going to rule it out completely, but at this point, I'd say I have a pretty slim chance of attending.
-A.J. from Michigan

JMoses24

Quote from: vdeane on December 25, 2014, 09:11:58 PM
UP is Labor Day weekend.

Thank you... I obviously want to avoid conflicts like that one, being within a day's drive.

The problem I ran into this year (and why I wanted to do this one so early), is that my own schedule is more crowded than normal in the September to November timeframe between two major fundraisers (one of which I already committed to volunteer for as I missed the inaugural due to my neck surgery) and, this year, a wedding Halloween weekend in Massachusetts. If I run one in November, I'm risking snowfall (we had 3-6" of snow on November 17 this year) plus the days get shorter and I don't want to run up against darkness with any out-of-towners that would show up. If I did July or August, heat would be a problem for me for sure -- due to medicines I take, I do not handle high temperatures above 90 degrees well and Cincinnati regularly pushes that mark (and I firmly believe at least one mistake I made was directly related to my health at the time of the '13 meet, as I was hurting pretty badly that day -- I was diagnosed with a bladder infection and gallstones later that weekend). My plan was to do one in October every couple years to try to strike a balance between decent weather (if not perfect, at least fairly close), daylight, major projects that would be occurring, and the amount of time I'd have to scout locations. Obviously for 2015, my schedule forced a change in plans.

Should there not be enough interest, I will probably push it back to 2016.

bandit957

Maybe there can be one every 18 months or so. That way we can have one in spring 2015 and maybe one in fall 2016.

2016 really is a long way off.

I'm not a people person, so I don't know if I'd be any good at organizing something like this.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

JMoses24

Quote from: bandit957 on December 27, 2014, 01:09:28 PM
Maybe there can be one every 18 months or so. That way we can have one in spring 2015 and maybe one in fall 2016.

2016 really is a long way off.

I'm not a people person, so I don't know if I'd be any good at organizing something like this.

I just worry that there won't be enough "new" projects to see if I do it that often. That's why 2-3 years seemed like a good bet. I'm happy to be the person hosting.

That said, Tim, I'm always happy to have help with the organization process...hell, you made two good contributions to the '13 meet!

Bitmapped

I'd be interested in attending a Cincinnati meet if my schedule permits.

JMoses24

I am going to hold off on doing this one for now. May do it in fall but more likely in 2016.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.