News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Toronto 2016 Meet Date Poll - Updated

Started by AsphaltPlanet, September 22, 2015, 10:12:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which date is your preference for the 2016 Toronto meet?

Saturday June 4, 2016
7 (70%)
Saturday June 11, 2016 - This option has been selected.
9 (90%)
Saturday June 18, 2016
7 (70%)
Saturday June 25, 2016
6 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 10

AsphaltPlanet

I have created a new thread for the proposed Toronto meet.  The same four options as the previous meet poll, but this time perspective attendees can select all four options.

Same cursory details as the previous poll (which should potentially be merged with this thread), but I envision starting with a lunch spot at 11:00 or so and then doing a run from there.

There have been a lot of recent projects that will have wrapped up in the time before this meet, in addition to several large construction projects that are ongoing, so there is a lot to see in the region.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Alps

getemngo

I've been trying to lose my Canadian roadmeet virginity since 2011. Good thing all of these look doable!
~ Sam from Michigan

Brandon

Quote from: getemngo on October 15, 2015, 09:56:04 PM
I've been trying to lose my Canadian roadmeet virginity since 2011. Good thing all of these look doable!

You were at the Sarnia one back in 2012.  Granted, it was a bi-national meet with Port Huron.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

AsphaltPlanet

So, I am going to formally announce the date of this meet as June 11, 2016.

This is the most popular date in our date poll, and avoids fathers day which is the week later (the 19th).

I haven't decided upon a meeting location to start the meet, but I'll probably schedule it to start at either 11:00 or 11:30 likely at a restaurant in either Whitby, Ajax or Oshawa in order to have a look at the either recently opened, or soon to open extension of Hwy 407.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

vdeane

Cool.  I hope to make it, but it's dependent on when the family picnic is next year.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

On the calendar. Let's see if I stay free.

AsphaltPlanet

I have created a facebook event for the Toronto Roads Meet this june.

It is available here:
https://www.facebook.com/events/587007688113739/

Brandon

I might actually be able to make this meet.  And I won't even need a hotel. :-)
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

dgolub

Sounds like fun.  I'd be interesting in coming if the logistics work out.

Roadgeek Adam

As I noted on Facebook, it looks like I'll be in.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

sammi

I'm back! Again... :pan:

Finally, a Toronto road meet! I would love to come, but I only know my work schedule so far in advance...

MisterSG1

You know what, count me in, I'll go to this one. In fact I've never been to a road meeting before, so I'll see what transpires at these.

AsphaltPlanet

Just to provide a little bit of additional information on what I am thinking for the meet thus far. I am open to suggestions from interested parties about what they would like to see included on the tour.

I'd like to start the meeting at about 11:00 am. I envision the lunch lasting about 1.5 hours, meaning we'd hit the road around 12:30. Beyond that I propose the following:
I propose checking out the 401 through Oshawa, as this is the oldest portion of freeway in the province.

Beyond Oshawa, I'd like to drive west, across the 401 to Mississauga. I'd like to do this shortly after lunch, in order to avoid mid-day traffic in Toronto. I'd like to do a photo stop at the Rougemont Bridge, as the highway has an impressive cross-section through the valley, and the road is lightly traveled making it conducive to pedestrian activity.

In Mississauga/Brampton, we can look at the 410 construction. Construction started in 2015, and will see the current six lane freeway widened to have eight general purpose lanes and two HOV lanes.

Also in Mississauga, we can take a look at the now closed off tied bowstring bridge north of Gorewaywood Drive in Brampton. Tied bowstring bridges are quite rare in Ontario, and this example is in good condition.

I'd like to take the 407 back from Brampton to Oshawa heading eastbound. We'll have to organize ourselves into vehicles appropriately. I have a transponder, and don't mind taking the hit to drive the highway.

Once back in Durham Region, I'd propose checking out the 407 East Extension. I'm hoping (and expecting) that it will have opened to traffic by the time that the meet occurs. I envision finishing the tour around 5:00 pm or so. I live in the area, and would be open to post meet actives/tour should people be interested.

What I haven't planned to look at this meet is the Gardiner/DVP. These are interesting roads, but there is construction currently ongoing to replace some of the deck of the Gardiner through the western parts of Downtown. This would mean that we would likely encounter traffic delays on the highway if it were included on the tour. For those who wish to drive it, it might be prudent to drive the Gardiner/DVP on the Saturday morning before the tour.

Again, I am definitely open to suggestions from the group.

cl94

I am a definite maybe. I cannot commit until I have everything set for the summer, but I'd like an excuse to get back to Toronto. If I do it right, I could spend the night before and night after with my parents in Buffalo, keeping costs low enough that I'd be willing to take the 407 hit if the exchange rate stays near where it is now.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

MisterSG1

What bridge on Goreway Drive, I've been on Goreway Drive so many times in my life and don't recall seeing a bridge.

Just some possible thoughts, Hwy 403 in the Mississauga stretch going east, the view of the Mississauga downtown especially since the Absolute World towers opened, from the top of the Credit Valley, I like that view, but that's my opinion.

Gardiner Westbound should be ok, all lanes are opened heading west, but mind you, the awe inspiring drive into the city is when you head eastbound which I'm sure you know.

I'll be willing to be an "official" vehicle if you want as I have a transponder.

There's also extensive widening going on with Hwy 427 which I'm sure you know, and well the southern portion of Hwy 427 has become more dramatic with condo towers popping up on either side of the freeway around Bloor Street. Then south of Dundas, you have a rather intriguing view, look to the east and you will see Downtown Toronto, look to the west and you will see Downtown Mississauga with the stunning Absolute World towers at the foreground.

It's hard to do a route properly, but if I could, it would be nice if we could use ALL the GTAH freeways at some point, but I guess that would be impossible.

And well a Toronto road meet can't be complete without driving on the most epic ramp of them all, 404 SB to 401 WB Express.

I'm very knowledgeable on the GTA freeways, so I could be a driver and "tour guide" if you will stating facts as we go by certain areas. And well, I've spent my entire life going up and down Highway 410, and I know it sounds silly, but the 410 is part of who I am, as a Bramptonian, as a person, the 410 is Brampton's gateway to the world. (well at least North America)

If you were to include the Gardiner Eastbound, you'd have to make it clear that we'd have to leave the Gardiner at Lake Shore and rejoin at the suicide ramp on Lake Shore just east of Jamieson, it's the most efficient way to get to downtown Toronto.

Well these are some ideas, and well AsphaltPlanet, you are the boss, this is your meet.

AsphaltPlanet

^^^ The Gardiner does have three westbound lanes now, but I think there may be a new traffic pattern in place by the time the meet takes place in June.  If the Gardiner does have three lanes of traffic open in one direction, I would reconsider including that on the meet tour.

Keep in mind, that it simply won't be possible to see it all on the meet tour, as we simply won't have enough time to do everything.

MisterSG1

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on February 29, 2016, 09:43:28 PM
^^^ The Gardiner does have three westbound lanes now, but I think there may be a new traffic pattern in place by the time the meet takes place in June.  If the Gardiner does have three lanes of traffic open in one direction, I would reconsider including that on the meet tour.

It looks like the traffic pattern is most likely going to stay that way according to their website:

http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/contentonly?vgnextoid=ab601fbd85412410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD

And since you are going to Gorewood, are you going to involve Hwy 427 as well? I was just wondering.

AsphaltPlanet

My thoughts are to not do the 427 construction.  The 427 construction is quite similar to what is ongoing on the 410, and I'd say that the 410 is a more interesting project.

When the weather gets nicer, and when it gets closer to the meet date, I'll do the tour run myself before the meet, and get a better idea on exactly what the meet will include, and write the itinerary accordingly.  Because I don't know exactly when the eastern extension of the 407 is going to open, I probably won't be able to post the itinerary weeks in advance as is sometimes done for these things.

oscar

Jusr checking that we're still on for June 11.

I'm a "likely" for the meet, just need to work some other travel plans around that date.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

AsphaltPlanet

AsphaltPlanet

Just a quick update as the meet is just over a month away now.

I am looking at picking Jack Astor's as a restaurant.  The restaurant is located in Whitby close to the 401/Thickson Road interchange.  Jack Astor's a chain restaurant in Canada.

I've posted this on the Facebook Page as well, but I don't think that the 407 East Extension is going to be open when the meet is held.  I'm hoping that I am wrong, but that's the way it looks to me right now.  The highway should, however, be pretty near completion, and should still be interesting to look at, even if we don't get an opportunity to drive it.

cl94

I'm still tentative, but more than likely. Unless something keeps me in Albany (my adviser wants a paper done that weekend and I can't do it beforehand), I'll be there. Biggest problem is figuring out what to tell the NEXUS agent on the way back :spin: .
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

AsphaltPlanet

Alps

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on May 10, 2016, 09:00:04 AM
Just a quick update as the meet is just over a month away now.

I am looking at picking Jack Astor's as a restaurant.  The restaurant is located in Whitby close to the 401/Thickson Road interchange.  Jack Astor's a chain restaurant in Canada.

I've posted this on the Facebook Page as well, but I don't think that the 407 East Extension is going to be open when the meet is held.  I'm hoping that I am wrong, but that's the way it looks to me right now.  The highway should, however, be pretty near completion, and should still be interesting to look at, even if we don't get an opportunity to drive it.
Yelp reviews are unflattering toward food quality. I know there are limited places that can host a large event, and I also know the difficulty of being host, so I'll just make the suggestion of finding something more highly regarded, and not pester you.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.