News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Covid vaccination status?

Started by hbelkins, March 04, 2021, 09:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your covid vaccination status?

I have taken the first shot, but not yet taken the second one.
22 (16.4%)
I have taken both shots.
74 (55.2%)
I plan to take the one-dose shot when it's available in my area.
4 (3%)
My priority group is not yet eligible, but I plan to take it when I can.
16 (11.9%)
I have not had covid and I don't plan to take the shot at all.
14 (10.4%)
I've already had covid so I don't need to/don't plan to take the shot.
3 (2.2%)
I've already had covid but I do plan to take the shot.
7 (5.2%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 10, 2021, 09:40:11 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 10, 2021, 09:36:12 PM
She got it in her head regarding the whole pregnancy thing and I haven't been able to convince her it isn't a problem.
Yikes, I don't think that there is any proof that it affects fertility.

There hasn't been any that I've seen, but her doctor told her to be cautious.  Suffice to say that pregnancy (which isn't a guarantee either) is more important to her than getting a vaccine.  That's kind of why I don't think you guys don't do a great job of putting yourself in the shoes of other people and trying to understand why they aren't banging down the door to get vaccinated.   Not everyone who hasn't been a vaccinated is an anti-vaxer or COVID denier.

Edit; also for some reason she thought that it might affect male fertility for awhile too.  Given she never had a basis for that thought it was a pretty easy argument to counter. 

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: vdeane on May 10, 2021, 09:56:27 PM
Meanwhile, it looks like the Sinopharm vaccine is complete garbage.  Possibly AstraZenica too.
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/05/10/breaking-news/worlds-most-vaccinated-nation-seychelles-sees-covid-19-surge/
That's disheartening. Many nearby countries, like Canada, use astrazeneca so that could be a problem.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

tolbs17

Meanwhile, it looks like the Sinopharm vaccine is complete garbage.  Possibly AstraZenica too.
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/05/10/breaking-news/worlds-most-vaccinated-nation-seychelles-sees-covid-19-surge/
And yet, AstraZeneca is planning to seek full FDA approval for their vaccine use in America.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: tolbs17 on May 10, 2021, 10:13:16 PM
And yet, AstraZeneca is planning to seek full FDA approval for their vaccine use in America.
We don't need their vaccine.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

tolbs17

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 10, 2021, 10:15:48 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on May 10, 2021, 10:13:16 PM
We don't need their vaccine.
Exactly.

Rothman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 10, 2021, 09:44:12 PM
She got it in her head regarding the whole pregnancy thing and I haven't been able to convince her it isn't a problem.

There hasn't been any that I've seen, but her doctor told her to be cautious.  Suffice to say that pregnancy (which isn't a guarantee either) is more important to her than getting a vaccine.  That's kind of why I don't think you guys don't do a great job of putting yourself in the shoes of other people and trying to understand why they aren't banging down the door to get vaccinated.   Not everyone who hasn't been a vaccinated is an anti-vaxer or COVID denier.

Edit; also for some reason she thought that it might affect male fertility for awhile too.  Given she never had a basis for that thought it was a pretty easy argument to counter.
Doctor says be cautious?  What does that even mean to a patient?  Doctor should either say yea or nay.

CDC says vaccines do not affect fertility or pregnancy.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Rothman on May 10, 2021, 10:23:49 PM

Doctor says be cautious?  What does that even mean to a patient?  Doctor should either say yea or nay.

She probably trusts her doctor more than the CDC.

tolbs17

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 10, 2021, 10:31:33 PM

Some schools still have the outdoor mask mandate.

Rothman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 10, 2021, 09:01:28 PM
Quote from: Rothman on May 10, 2021, 08:16:48 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 10, 2021, 07:35:10 PM
Quote from: Rothman on May 10, 2021, 07:28:53 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on May 10, 2021, 06:23:48 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 10, 2021, 06:19:21 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on May 10, 2021, 06:16:01 PM
Great news. Hopefully vaccinations rise back up.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/10/health/pfizer-covid-vaccine-teens.html
My whole family can get it now.
My sister is hesitant and she doesn't want it.
Tell her that she's prolonging the pandemic by not getting vaccinated.
Anti-vaxxers don't care.
Hence why I called them brats.  "Science, public health departments and half the population are going ahead and getting vaccinated, but I am going to sit here and make everyone pay attention to me as long as I can like a third-grader waiting to pick the first person to be on their team."  The game can't begin until they do and everyone is tired of the wait.

But here's the thing, being antagonist towards people on the fence about vaccination does more to push them away than encourage them (subjective opinion from first hand observations).  In the case of Tolbs and his sister that's a literal captive audience who really ultimately doesn't have a say because she's a child.  Conversely when people get on my wife's case about vaccines I can see the level of annoyance just compounding over time.  She definitely isn't being encouraged by people trying to guilt her into doing something she isn't ready to do (myself included).  I suspect that a lot of people who are equally on the fence feel the same way and only get discouraged by people giving the riot act on vaccines.  All this "social encouragement"  stuff throughout COVID has really just fallen flat on it's face from the word go.
Exactly my point:  The more they annoy the rest of us by not picking a team member, the more enjoyment they get out of it.  They harden their resolve to stand up there and show how strong they are in ruining everything for the rest of us.

So, still brat territory.  And you're right, the way to deal with brats is not to give them the attention they deserve.

Truth be told, I'm only venting on here because I'm just tired this whole ridiculous situation.  Whether it is persuasive or not, so be it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

I have advised her of the CDC changing their stance on fertility.  She won't budge until her doctor says it's okay. Truth be told I can see why (after 2020 and the Trump Administration's mishandling of the pandemic) why she would trust her doctor over the CDC. 

NE2

Suffice to say that pregnancy (which isn't a guarantee either) is more important to her than getting a vaccine.
Wants to add another person to an overcrowded world: check.
Wants to prolong the life of covid: check.
Sounds like you married a misanthrope.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 10, 2021, 11:19:28 PM

I have advised her of the CDC changing their stance on fertility.  She won't budge until her doctor says it's okay. Truth be told I can see why (after 2020 and the Trump Administration's mishandling of the pandemic) why she would trust her doctor over the CDC. 

Of course, there's also a reason why patients seek 2nd opinions. Docs often disagree on treatments, procedures and assessments. 2 friends can see 2 different doctors, and could easily get 2 different sets of guidence.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: NE2 on May 10, 2021, 11:31:26 PM
Suffice to say that pregnancy (which isn't a guarantee either) is more important to her than getting a vaccine.
NE2, some people really want kids. Most people I've talked to have said that they wouldn't get the vaccine if it made them infertile.

bm7

How does wanting to have kids make someone a misanthrope? Would that not be the opposite of misanthropy?

Takumi

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 10, 2021, 11:38:39 PM
NE2, some people really want kids. Most people I've talked to have said that they wouldn't get the vaccine if it made them infertile.
Meanwhile, if it made me infertile I'd get six, and booster shots monthly.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: bm7 on May 10, 2021, 11:47:01 PM
How does wanting to have kids make someone a misanthrope? Would that not be the opposite of misanthropy?
NE2 is assuming that having kids will hurt life on the planet for the rest of us.

Rothman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 10, 2021, 11:19:28 PM

Yeah, I get that. 

Max Rockatansky

I'm 38 and she's 36, neither of us have a kid.  We are also on our first marriage each, some would say that we did everything the responsible way and waited. 

But to that end I've never disrespected you like this before.  You've never met Jessica, but a fair amount of people you associate with on this forum have.  None of them would ever describe her as someone who hates humanity.

Takumi

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 10, 2021, 11:53:39 PM
NE2 is assuming that having kids will hurt life on the planet for the rest of us.
I agree with him on that; I'm just not an asshole like he is.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Takumi on May 11, 2021, 12:31:30 AM

Don't get me wrong the prospect of the huge financial black hole and time burden put me off of idea most of my life.  Hell, we probably wouldn't have bothered trying if we ended up with our niece if my brother in-law's adoption fell through. 

Takumi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 11, 2021, 12:38:14 AM
Suffice to say that pregnancy (which isn’t a guarantee either) is more important to her than getting a vaccine.
I agree with him on that; I’m just not an asshole like he is.

Don’t get me wrong the prospect of the huge financial black hole and time burden put me off of idea most of my life.  Hell, we probably wouldn’t have bothered trying if we ended up with our niece if my brother in-law’s adoption fell through. 

When I was with my ex a few years ago, I was going to get a vasectomy since we were both sure we didn’t want kids. She had a mental breakdown and left me, and the urologist I was planning to get it done at closed right after, so I never got around to it, but my stance hasn’t changed. If anything, the pandemic has made me even more sure I don’t want kids. But I’m not going to shame people who do.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Takumi on May 11, 2021, 12:51:12 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 11, 2021, 12:38:14 AM

Don't get me wrong the prospect of the huge financial black hole and time burden put me off of idea most of my life.  Hell, we probably wouldn't have bothered trying if we ended up with our niece if my brother in-law's adoption fell through. 

When I was with my ex a few years ago, I was going to get a vasectomy since we were both sure we didn't want kids. She had a mental breakdown and left me, and the urologist I was planning to get it done at closed right after, so I never got around to it, but my stance hasn't changed. If anything, the pandemic has made me more sure I don't want kids.

And the reverse was true for us, I was planning more or less the same thing.  We hadn't been planning on it but COVID played a part in changing our minds, or at least giving it a shot.  I know full well (she does too) at both our ages that it's no guarantee.  If it doesn't work out I'm content with that and I'm pretty sure (not 100%) she is too. 

Scott5114

What motivates neutral people probably is completely subjective when it comes to vaccines.  [...]   Really the experience just reinforced what I thought when COVID began to be a serious topic; "it is a potentially serious disease largely for unhealthy groups, but not serious enough to shut the whole world down for."

[...]
That said, my decision to get vaccinated was based off of more that I just want to move on with my life.  To that end, there is some serious barriers in my way:

1.  I have a very aggressive employer regarding COVID protocols.  I have no doubt a vaccine will be required (or it will be incredibly likely) once they start receiving full FDA approval.
2.  I live in a state that already has COVID passports in place for things I want to do.  I also frequent locales out of state where that likely will be a thing as well.

Meanwhile, I experienced an exact opposite set of circumstances from you, and still arrived at the same conclusion. My last employer was very lax when it comes to COVID protocols–or to be more accurate, went for a set of "security theater" protocols that any reasonable person could see could nonetheless allow the virus to spread (e.g. requiring temperature checks and mask wearing for entry, but then allowing customers to remove masks to smoke indoors). They were unwilling to enforce a stricter protocol due to a perceived risk of losing revenue from customers unwilling to comply with them. At the same time Oklahoma reacted very aggressively against any sort of statewide mask mandate, and has expressed no interest in establishing a COVID passport system.

So I found myself in a situation where my safety was, I feel like, willfully threatened by my employer, with the state likewise failing to have my back, which directly led to me leaving that job. Although I have been working on a personal business venture, it isn't ready to make any money yet, so I am going to have to get a job with someone else in the meantime. I got vaccinated because, among other reasons, it means that I don't have to worry so much about being put into a situation like the one I left last July, where the organization with the most control over my day-to-day life demonstrates that it has no regard for my safety or well-being. Being vaccinated at least means I have one tool to use in my defense.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 11, 2021, 12:28:45 AM

I'm 38 and she's 36, neither of us have a kid.  We are also on our first marriage each, some would say that we did everything the responsible way and waited. 

But to that end I've never disrespected you like this before.  You've never met Jessica, but a fair amount of people you associate with on this forum have.  None of them would ever describe her as someone who hates humanity.

If NE2 hasn't disrespected you before, it's probably just a matter of him having not gotten around to doing it yet.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Duke87

I don't think a lot of people who are pushing vaccines really understand that they are only driving neutral/on the fence people away by being so aggressive in their stance.

Of course not, but modern America is full of tankies. There was already some commentary upthread about tying people who don't want to get vaccinated down and jabbing them against their will. It may have been presented as a joke, but don't for a second think there aren't a significant number of people out there who would be okay with this actually happening, if not outright supportive of it.

So I doubt the average person being a pain in someone's ass about their decision not to get vaccinated really cares whether it is effective at convincing them. Because it doesn't matter - if it convinces them great, but if it doesn't then their continued refusal will be used as justification for finding ways to punish them for their decision. And if that still doesn't work, it will be used as justification for ultimately taking away their freedom to make the decision for themselves.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.