News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

SW Pennsylvania

Started by rickmastfan67, November 30, 2011, 10:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

roadman65

Which one of the two Fort Pitt Tunnels is more level in grade?

I noticed that the eastern portals of the tunnel have one 30 feet higher than the other to align with the two levels of the Fort Pitt Bridge, but the western portal has both portals on the same grade as per usual.

So that means either one tube climbs 30 feet or the other drops 30 feet.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

ARMOURERERIC

Or one drops 15 feet and the other gains 15 feet.

MASTERNC

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on July 14, 2022, 09:50:27 AM
Or one drops 15 feet and the other gains 15 feet.

I know the outbound tunnel definitely has an upgrade because you can kind of see it when driving (and you can't see through the entire tunnel).  The inbound tunnel has a less obstructed view, but that doesn't mean it has no grade.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

(For I-279 and I-579)  PennDOT - District 11 News: High Occupancy Vehicle Lane Closure Underway in Pittsburgh

(quote below because it was not posted on PennDOT Website)

QuotePittsburgh, PA — PennDOT District 11 is announcing the closure of the I-279 and I-579 High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes in Ross Township and the City of Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, is underway Sunday, July 24.

All of the HOV lanes have closed to traffic until further notice as crews conduct inspections of the system along I-279 and I-579.

The HOV lanes are used to reduce congestion along Interstate 279 (Parkway North) by promoting ridesharing via carpooling, van pooling, or public transportation. With the exception of motorcycles, all vehicles using the HOV lanes must have at least two people in them from 6 a.m. to 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. Also, trucks are not permitted on the HOV.

To help keep motorists informed, PennDOT has created an email distribution list for I-279 Parkway North traffic advisories. Enroll by sending email addresses to stcowan@pa.gov. Please write "Subscribe — Parkway North"  in the subject line.

Motorists can check conditions on more than 40,000 roadway miles by visiting www.511PA.com. 511PA, which is free and available 24 hours a day, provides traffic delay warnings, weather forecasts, traffic speed information and access to more than 1,000 traffic cameras.

511PA is also available through a smartphone application for iPhone and Android devices, by calling 5-1-1, or by following regional Twitter alerts accessible on the 511PA website.

MEDIA CONTACT: Nicole Haney, 412-429-5004

Update:  The HOV lanes have reopened.

QuotePittsburgh, PA — PennDOT District 11 is announcing the reopening of the I-279 and I-579 High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes in Ross Township and the City of Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, on Sunday, July 24.

The HOV lanes have reopened to traffic under normal operations after crews made repairs on the system along I-279 and I-579.

The HOV lanes are used to reduce congestion along Interstate 279 (Parkway North) by promoting ridesharing via carpooling, van pooling, or public transportation. With the exception of motorcycles, all vehicles using the HOV lanes must have at least two people in them from 6 a.m. to 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. Also, trucks are not permitted on the HOV.

To help keep motorists informed, PennDOT has created an email distribution list for I-279 Parkway North traffic advisories. Enroll by sending email addresses to stcowan@pa.gov. Please write "Subscribe — Parkway North"  in the subject line.

Motorists can check conditions on more than 40,000 roadway miles by visiting www.511PA.com. 511PA, which is free and available 24 hours a day, provides traffic delay warnings, weather forecasts, traffic speed information and access to more than 1,000 traffic cameras.

511PA is also available through a smartphone application for iPhone and Android devices, by calling 5-1-1, or by following regional Twitter alerts accessible on the 511PA website.

MEDIA CONTACT: Nicole Haney, 412-429-5004

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.