Early memories of TV where you can't identify the program

Started by roadman, November 02, 2019, 11:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

X99

There was a commercial I saw on the AFN network while living in Germany (I was six or seven). Later on, I only remembered three things about it: it was an Air Force commercial, there was a tanker-size jet landing vertically on something, and the VTOL jet turned into a current Air Force plane at the end. This memory assisted in my creation of a superhero fantasy with VTOL cargo jets, laser guns, infinite dimensions, giant space battleships, etc. all with me as the "superhero." (It's kind of like Iron Man though- without the technology, I'm just a normal person.) Eight years after leaving Germany, Youtube randomly threw the full commercial video in my recommended after a few Google searches of "VTOL cargo jet."
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

roadman65

The movie that ended with the Eifel Tower collapsing from a dim wit who accidentally fired a bazooka that was positioned under it.  It was meant to be fired away from the tower, but it got aimed up into it like a Coyote mistake in the road runner cartoon.  Do not know what movie that was but NBC aired it many times when I was very young.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

lepidopteran

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on November 07, 2019, 10:07:54 PM
There was a 1970s drama, slightly futuristic, that showed a car with a dash-mounted screen with an artificial map and the current location on it.  I knew this was just a TV show, but as soon as they come out, I WANT ONE!
Knight Rider?  Though that was early '80s.

roadman65

Quote from: lepidopteran on November 12, 2019, 10:13:04 PM
There was a 1970s drama, slightly futuristic, that showed a car with a dash-mounted screen with an artificial map and the current location on it.  I knew this was just a TV show, but as soon as they come out, I WANT ONE!
Knight Rider?  Though that was early '80s.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083437/

Sheryl Crowe

lepidopteran

Quote from: Route66Fan on November 07, 2019, 05:51:41 AM
another show that had a bunch of people in full size animal costumes (EDIT: I think this may have been a show called Amigos, because it's logo looks familiar & it does have one person in a full body animal costume.).
The New Zoo Revue?  The 3 animals were a hippo, a frog, and an owl.

Some other things that I remember seeing were some Made-for-TV disaster movies in the mid-90s' on ABC that were presented as live TV news reports,
One famous example was titled "Special Bulletin" from 1983, which had a news crew interviewing a terrorist in Charleston, SC.  The show was videotaped in the same manner as TV news.  Worried people called into the TV stations when it aired, despite it being a fictitious news network (RBS), and at least one disclaimer with a commercial.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: lepidopteran on November 12, 2019, 10:19:18 PM
another show that had a bunch of people in full size animal costumes (EDIT: I think this may have been a show called Amigos, because it's logo looks familiar & it does have one person in a full body animal costume.).
The New Zoo Revue?  The 3 animals were a hippo, a frog, and an owl.

Some other things that I remember seeing were some Made-for-TV disaster movies in the mid-90s' on ABC that were presented as live TV news reports,
One famous example was titled "Special Bulletin" from 1983, which had a news crew interviewing a terrorist in Charleston, SC.  The show was videotaped in the same manner as TV news.  Worried people called into the TV stations when it aired, despite it being a fictitious news network (RBS), and at least one disclaimer with a commercial.
There was also that miniseries that ABC aired about a widespread ICBM attack.

roadman

Quote from: roadman65 on November 12, 2019, 09:27:48 PM
The movie that ended with the Eifel Tower collapsing from a dim wit who accidentally fired a bazooka that was positioned under it.  It was meant to be fired away from the tower, but it got aimed up into it like a Coyote mistake in the road runner cartoon.  Do not know what movie that was but NBC aired it many times when I was very young.

The Great Race, with Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon, and Natalie Wood.  The cannon misfiring and causing a structure to collapse was a running gag throughout the movie.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

bandit957

Quote from: roadman on November 13, 2019, 11:10:05 AM
The Great Race, with Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon, and Natalie Wood.  The cannon misfiring and causing a structure to collapse was a running gag throughout the movie.

This is the movie that had a huge pie fight that took days to film, causing the pies to spoil and stink up the whole room.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

roadman

Quote from: bandit957 on November 13, 2019, 11:12:11 AM
Quote from: roadman on November 13, 2019, 11:10:05 AM

This is the movie that had a huge pie fight that took days to film, causing the pies to spoil and stink up the whole room.

It also had what in my opinion was one of the best Western saloon fight scenes ever filmed.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

bandit957

I know I mentioned this before, but I remember back around 1983 when I was about 10, I saw a movie on cable that had a hilarious scene, but I can't identify the movie. I think it was a "horror comedy", but I don't think it was 'Creepshow'. In this movie, a family's house burned down, so they went to a hotel. We see them eating at the hotel restaurant, and the kid puts a piece of food into his mouth and lets it drop out of his mouth onto his plate.

I burst out laughing when I saw this, but I have no idea what movie this was.

PHLBOS

Quote from: lepidopteran on November 05, 2019, 11:01:07 PMThere was one on Carson where a man comes on and says "Hi, I'd like to talk to you about diarrhea."  He is promptly booed for bringing up such a perverse topic, and several pies are thrown in his face.  This was a shout-out to an actual, infamous Pepto-Bismol commercial that began that way.
Found a video clip for that one while replying on another thread.

Pardon the grainy quality:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRSLRn0MHAU
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bandit957

I remember something else weird I saw on TV in the early '80s. There was a segment where people did the "hot fork trick." They were at a diner, and they heated the forks with a flame, so customers burned themselves when they used them.

Life in Paradise

It could be "Automan", but that was late 83 into 1984.

In_Correct

Quote from: roadman on November 07, 2019, 09:32:34 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on November 07, 2019, 01:25:29 PM
Quote from: kurumi on November 05, 2019, 11:31:14 PM* cartoon with a swarm of mosquitoes tormenting a dog. Outside the house, they form a fist and knock on the door. The dog answers, and it's mosquitoes.
I believe such was from an old Huckleberry Hound cartoon.

I recall that the gag, with variations (usually substituting bees for mosquitos), appeared in some Warner Brothers and MGM cartoons as well.

I was going to mention "The Pink Tail Fly" a William Lava (also known as Bill Lava) theatrical animated short film of Pink Panther.

It is not a swarm of mosquitoes. It is only one Mosquito. However, one scene had Pink ignoring the knocks on the door. The mosquito (again only the one mosquito) threw a brick through the window.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

bandit957

Quote from: bandit957 on November 05, 2019, 11:14:40 PM
I remember a TV movie around 1980 where a man blows a giant bubble with bubble gum and floats into the sky to rescue some people.

After all these years, I just found out the name of this movie today. It was called 'Super Fuzz'.

cwf1701

Quote from: lepidopteran on November 05, 2019, 11:09:02 PM
I have several, primarily from the early 1970s.

From the mid to late '70s, a skit where a little girl refuses to eat her vegetables.  At least 3 time montages pass depicting at least 10 years each, and after every one she's still sitting there, grown up but with the same girly clothes and hair ribbons -- and uneated veggies.  In the last scene, where a will is being read (and the girl's share is contingent upon eating her vegetables), the lawyer asks why she can't eat the vegetables.  "I don't have a fork!"

I think this either was on Saturday Night Live (with the original 1975-80 cast, Most likely) or a skit from the first 78 Episodes of Big Blue Marble (not as likely). I do remember in the first 78 shows of Big Blue Marble (74-77) had skits of kids playing and something funny or weird happening to them. Anyone have memories of watching one skit with a boy (about 9 or 10) set in a bowling alley and the when the boy goes to release his ball at the line, he is pulled over the line by his ball and goes down to the pins for a strike? Or a skit with a girl who when she goes to blow some bubble gum, she blows some bubbles out of her ears?

bandit957

In the late '70s/early '80s, there were segments on TV shows about bubble gum all the time.

ErmineNotyours

There was a movie shown one afternoon where they have a man tied to a chair, and they threaten to play at him rock music, the same songs over and over again.  The man says, "I like hearing the same songs over and over again," so they lower something over his head and they play typical fake Hollywood "rock and roll" made by movie's composer because they don't care enough to license real songs or make new ones that sound remotely like real rock music.

At the time, my dad was a janitor at a grade school, and he would take home 16mm film catalogs that distributors would send to the school to get them to order films for events.  In that pre-internet time, this was a handy resource for finding out more about movies on TV.  This movie was listed as being in black & white, but it clearly seemed to be in color.  Only now that I looked closer, it had a strong blue cast to it.  You could still see flesh tones and other colors, but it was not well balanced.  I later figured it was intended to be printed in black and white for theatrical distribution, but future-proofed in color for television.  They didn't particularly care if it was properly timed, and so it wasn't.  Now I want to know more about this movie.

bandit957

I remember around 1980 when I was in elementary school, they showed us a film about safety around railroads. It looked like a fairly recent (maybe 1970s) film. At the end, there was a terrifying scene where a motorist (a young man, if I recall correctly) plowed his car into a moving train. Apparently, he was killed. The scene faded into a weird visual effect.

I'd love to be able to find this film on YouTube.

cwf1701

Quote from: bandit957 on December 27, 2019, 10:20:28 PM
In the late '70s/early '80s, there were segments on TV shows about bubble gum all the time.

I don't remember seeing a lot of the bubblegum skits. Maybe the one with the bubbles coming out of the girl's ears was the one that stood out for me. Other than the one skit with the boy who gets pulled by his bowling ball while bowling and at the end appears to awaiting to be sent into the pinsetter (that i remember and wanted to be the boy from the skit whenever i went bowling), I don't remember if there was other skits with kids at the bowling alley.

Route66Fan

[/quote]
There was also that miniseries that ABC aired about a widespread ICBM attack.
[/quote]

That miniseries was called "The Day After", & was filmed on location in Missouri & Kansas, In fact in one scene where you see Steve Guttenburg's character walking towards the town of Harrisonville, MO, you can actually see a real North MO 7 sign assembly behind him.

roadman65

There was a show on CBS running up against Sanford and Son on CBS with a theme song about working to be a family isn't easy.  It did not last a full season, but it was on the 74 season lineup on Fridays.

Sheryl Crowe

Terry

Quote from: roadman65 on December 31, 2019, 12:28:12 AM
There was a show on CBS running up against Sanford and Son on CBS with a theme song about working to be a family isn't easy.  It did not last a full season, but it was on the 74 season lineup on Fridays.

I found Calucci's Department (fall of the 1973 season) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069571/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0, Dirty Sally (mid season winter/spring replacement in 1974) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070983/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_4 and Planet of the Apes (fall of the 1974 season) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071033/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_9. Calucci's Department may be the show you're thinking of.

Found through http://www.tvtango.com/ > On TV > TV Listings: Past and Present

KEVIN_224

I was 3 at the time, but I think Sanford And Son was on NBC, not CBS.

crt08

One night I was staying at my grandmother's. When I stayed at her place back then I slept on a pull-out sofa bed. Anyway we were watching TV on an old console TV and just before it was time to go to bed she turned it off and there was some show coming on that was color but looked really old even back then (early 90s). I think it was probably Barney Miller, although I never discovered that show until recent years. It looked like some tall buildings and an ocean with funky theme playing which fits the intro of that show.

Oh, also on a PBS channel I used to watch when I was growing up (WUSF which is now defunct), they used to show an animated segment between shows sometimes. There was one about this house that had a robotic dog, and another about a dishwasher. Probably just some things the graphic design department at USF came up with.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.