Hwy 190 from Copperas Cove to Belton to be renamed I-14

Started by longhorn, December 11, 2013, 09:40:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbnv

Quote from: US71 on May 26, 2016, 08:47:14 AM
Quote from: english si on May 26, 2016, 06:48:34 AM
I'm surprised that AASHTO didn't propose another number, like they did in NC. Presumably TX rejected the alternative number?
There's a note on the ruling that suggests working together to find a suitable number

That won't happen. Texas sees the existing freeway as part of the proposed multi-state "Forts to Ports" I-14 corridor. Getting the I-14 designation for US 190 adds legitimacy to the corridor. A 3di does not.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Grzrd

Quote from: mvak36 on May 25, 2016, 11:51:03 PM
Wasn't I-14 written into the FAST Act though? I was under the assumption that it would be accepted because of that.
It'll be interesting to see what number they choose, hopefully a spur off of I-35.
(above quote from May 2016 AASHTO SCOURN Meeting thread)
Quote from: english si on May 26, 2016, 06:48:34 AM
I'm surprised that AASHTO didn't propose another number, like they did in NC. Presumably TX rejected the alternative number?

I think the Committee simply confused the North Carolina apple with the Texas orange.  The legislation designating the North Carolina corridors as future interstates did not specify numerical designations for those corridors; however, the legislation authorizing the Texas corridor specified an I-14 designation, which was included in the Texas application (p. 68/73 of pdf):

As I understand it, AASHTO only has authority to determine whether the dual designation with US 190 would be appropriate.  Neither AASHTO nor TxDOT has the authority to ignore Congressional legislation and choose a different number.  I suspect that this decision will be overturned at the Fall meeting.

Bobby5280

I hope the AASHTO's negative ruling on I-14 in Killeen is upheld rather than overturned. But the egos and insanity of politicians have a nasty way of infecting what should be a rational system. With nonsensical things like a 25 mile I-14 invading the system it opens up an argument to just eliminate the Interstate highway numbering system completely.

The bigger problem is there is NO MONEY for this I-14 concept. I wonder how well it would fly if the cost of this I-14 highway to link military installations came 100% entirely out of the Dept. of Defense budget. Honestly, if the highway is really that strategically important to the military why shouldn't it come out of their budget? The truth is the highway is only important to a select group of politicians and business people who want an East-West Interstate running through their sparsely populated areas. The military doesn't need it.

It's a sure bet DOD funding of I-14 wouldn't go over well at all, especially when the military is cutting costs, closing bases and reducing troop counts at existing bases. Military planners would quickly come out of the woodwork stating the highway would have no strategic benefit. Defense technology companies would chime in as well, seeing a road costing tens of billions of dollars being a threat to their piece of the DOD budget pie.

The reality is any money diverted to this I-14 thing will be money taken from other far more important highway projects in Texas and elsewhere. I think that's going to leave "I-14" stuck at its current 25 mile length for decades, if not permanently.

QuoteAs I understand it, AASHTO only has authority to determine whether the dual designation with US 190 would be appropriate.  Neither AASHTO nor TxDOT has the authority to ignore Congressional legislation and choose a different number.  I suspect that this decision will be overturned at the Fall meeting.

Is it possible to get some of these road numbering "laws" struck down? Complaining about government over-reach is popular these days. But ego-driven congressmen and senators issuing highway numbers rather than the AASHTO is definitely an example of congressional over-reach.

Henry

Even at 25 miles, I-14 will be longer than I-97, and exist in multiple counties.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

US71

When has money ever stopped Texas? I seem to remember they always "need" money, even if everyone else goes without

SGH-I337

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jbnv

Some posts in this thread have not aged very well...

Quote from: oscar on December 11, 2013, 01:33:10 PM
Contrary to the thread title, this seems to be just a dream of some local politicians and businessmen, with no apparent support so far from anyone with the power to make it happen.  It's early enough in the process to get strangled in the cradle, as it should be.

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 15, 2015, 02:52:17 PM
We probably won't see any Interstate 14 signs anywhere for quite some time.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

andy3175

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

longhorn

Quote from: andy3175 on April 23, 2017, 12:58:26 AM
Yes, Interstate 14 signs were placed today:

https://www.facebook.com/aaroads/posts/10155324455292948

Have not seen any in the area yet, I will be on the look out for them. I wandered why some electronic maps already have 190 as I-14.

The Ghostbuster

So Interstate 14 is now signposted in Texas. I doubt it will ever be signposted in any other state.

Bobby5280

Never say never. Little disconnected Interstate highway stubs are the latest rage now, thanks to things like I-69 and previous examples like I-97. I kind of expect I-515 to get re-signed as I-11 once the Boulder City bypass is finished. And then we have existing duplicates/disconnects of I-69, I-74, I-76, I-84, I-88 and I-99 in different parts of the country as well as a planned duplicate of I-87 in North Carolina.

So, yeah, I can totally see a little spur of freeway in LA, MS, AL or GA getting "I-14" shields tacked onto it even though we may all be long dead before all of it gets connected. Or maybe we could get lucky and see a big revolution in how large infrastructure projects are developed.

In the post-war boom car travel was romanticized. I think that helped spur on the development of the Interstate highway system. I think there's an outside chance self-driving car technology could create another boom in car travel. If it takes off in a big way then maybe things like these new Interstate highway projects could get built in an acceptable amount of time. Under the current environment it will take many decades.

silverback1065

Quote from: Bobby5280 on April 26, 2017, 04:37:16 PM
Never say never. Little disconnected Interstate highway stubs are the latest rage now, thanks to things like I-69 and previous examples like I-97. I kind of expect I-515 to get re-signed as I-11 once the Boulder City bypass is finished. And then we have existing duplicates/disconnects of I-69, I-74, I-76, I-84, I-88 and I-99 in different parts of the country as well as a planned duplicate of I-87 in North Carolina.

So, yeah, I can totally see a little spur of freeway in LA, MS, AL or GA getting "I-14" shields tacked onto it even though we may all be long dead before all of it gets connected. Or maybe we could get lucky and see a big revolution in how large infrastructure projects are developed.

In the post-war boom car travel was romanticized. I think that helped spur on the development of the Interstate highway system. I think there's an outside chance self-driving car technology could create another boom in car travel. If it takes off in a big way then maybe things like these new Interstate highway projects could get built in an acceptable amount of time. Under the current environment it will take many decades.

some of those, like 76 were always planned to have gaps

compdude787

Quote from: Bobby5280 on April 26, 2017, 04:37:16 PM

That might be a distinct possibility.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.