News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Interstate 55 in Memphis/West Memphis Questions

Started by SteveG1988, December 24, 2014, 08:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveG1988

I am curious, i saw a 1955 telephone map of Memphis, it shows I-55 crossing where i-40 crosses today, obviously a proposed routing.

When was I-55 first put on the Memphis-Arkansas Bridge?

On topography maps and aerials it doesn't show the I-55 we have today on the TN side of the bridge until the mid 1960s

When was the Crump blvd Interchange built, and why was it built to have I-55 traffic go through a loop ramp?

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Tom958

You mostly answered your own question. The bridge was completed in 1949, but Crump Blvd with the four-loop interchange wasn't on the 1963 aerial or topo-- it didn't appear until 1967. I'd just assumed that the interchange was built as part of the bridge project, but obviously I was mistaken.

As for why FHWA signed off on such an inadequate configuration at such a late date... I'd like to know, too.

SteveG1988

Quote from: Tom958 on December 26, 2014, 10:14:18 AM
You mostly answered your own question. The bridge was completed in 1949, but Crump Blvd with the four-loop interchange wasn't on the 1963 aerial or topo-- it didn't appear until 1967. I'd just assumed that the interchange was built as part of the bridge project, but obviously I was mistaken.

As for why FHWA signed off on such an inadequate configuration at such a late date... I'd like to know, too.

When did I-55 get moved onto a different alignment? maybe that interchange was built before that and it was grafted onto it, sort of like I-295 in NJ.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

mrsman

And also another point is that for the most part the Interstate highway 2dis were designed to go to the city center.  So route both 55 and 40 on the same bridge straight into Downtown, but then, it was decided to add a second bridge.

Pre-interstate, what bridges existed to cross the Mississsippi in the Memphis area?  Were these replaced during the interstate era?

Tom958

Quote from: mrsman on December 28, 2014, 08:44:20 AM
And also another point is that for the most part the Interstate highway 2dis were designed to go to the city center.  So route both 55 and 40 on the same bridge straight into Downtown, but then, it was decided to add a second bridge.

Pre-interstate, what bridges existed to cross the Mississsippi in the Memphis area?  Were these replaced during the interstate era?

This is like shooting fish in a barrel...

The bridge that now carries I-55 and friends was the only crossing at Memphis from 1949. Before then, the Harahan Bridge, about 150 feet upstream, opened for trains in 1916 and cars in 1917. I don't think that any Mississippi river crossings have been replaced.

Revive 755

Quote from: SteveG1988 on December 24, 2014, 08:50:53 PM

It appears from that map that I-240 would have been run along the unbuilt expressway along the Memphis riverfront.

I wonder if there was a plan to run I-55 along the riverfront route south of I-40 before shifting I-55 to its current route?

Tom958

Quote from: Revive 755 on December 28, 2014, 01:04:14 PMIt appears from that map that I-240 would have been run along the unbuilt expressway along the Memphis riverfront.

If it would've even been called I-240. Why not just call it I-55?

QuoteI wonder if there was a plan to run I-55 along the riverfront route south of I-40 before shifting I-55 to its current route?

To me it would've made more sense for I-55 to run more or less as it does now, except with a better interchange at Crump Blvd... UNLESS the route depicted utilized a riverfront expressway corridor that was already in some stage of development. Perhaps the map constitutes circumstantial evidence in favor of that theory.

Henry

From the looks of that map, everything has been built out, except the route along the riverfront that was moved further away, and (of course) the I-40 alignment that would've cut through Overton Park and downtown.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

lordsutch

Quote from: Henry on December 29, 2014, 11:36:03 AM
From the looks of that map, everything has been built out, except the route along the riverfront that was moved further away, and (of course) the I-40 alignment that would've cut through Overton Park and downtown.

I-55 did end up getting an independent routing rather than sharing Midtown 240 (original I-255). Presumably the riverfront routing was still alive when the decision was made to incorporate the old bridge and its Arkansas approach into I-55 at least temporarily; at least some of the riverfront freeway plan was still alive in the 70s when the new bridge and its approaches were finally built, since there are ghost ramps and a lane drop for it.

I-240 was also built further "in" around the city, staying on the south side of the Wolf River and north of Nonconnah Creek.

rte66man

Quote from: Tom958 on December 28, 2014, 09:45:56 AM
Quote from: mrsman on December 28, 2014, 08:44:20 AM

This is like shooting fish in a barrel...

The bridge that now carries I-55 and friends was the only crossing at Memphis from 1949. Before then, the Harahan Bridge, about 150 feet upstream, opened for trains in 1916 and cars in 1917. I don't think that any Mississippi river crossings have been replaced.

You are correct.  Before the Harahan was opened for cars, you had to use a ferry to get to West Memphis.  The first bridge at Memphis was the Frisco (the one just south of the Harahan).  Both bridges are still very active.  As mentioned earlier, the Harahan road lanes were closed when the Memphis-Arkansas bridge was opened.  The Harahan lanes were a fire hazard.  The roadbed was creosote-soaked wooden planks.  Steam trains would shoot off sparks that would occasionally catch the road on fire.  The westbound lane was hung off the north side and the eastbound lane was on the south side of the bridge.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

NE2

Hopefully you'll be able to walk or bike over the Harahan Bridge one day: http://harahanbridgeproject.com/
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

rte66man

-Yogi Berra

SteveG1988

Roads Clinched

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

SteveG1988

Roads Clinched

rte66man

-Yogi Berra

Wayward Memphian

Memphians called the never completed I--40 intersection with I-240, Malfunction Junction. Supreme Court reversed Eminent Domain and said the Zoo and Overton Park was more important.

It looks like they wanted to use US 51/US 61 as the I-55 route in that map.

As it stands today, the Old Bridge is a dangerous narrow 4 lane bridge with a cluster of an intersection with the realignment 40 years past due. But there's a cluster of issues from the French Fort to the RV park that's been major issues.

Tom958

Quote from: Wayward Memphian on January 05, 2015, 12:30:02 AM...with a cluster of an intersection with the realignment 40 years past due.

The huge irony is that had British engineers been tasked with designing that interchange back in the early '60's, they likely would've come up with something very similar to what TDoT is trying to build now.  :pan:

lordsutch

As discussed above, I think it was intended as an interim interchange, with the intent of having I-55 follow midtown 240 or the riverfront freeway and sharing the "new bridge" with I-40 when it was completed. Even in the 1960s, had it been intended as a permanent interchange with I-55 through traffic to/from the old bridge, I think it would have been designed to a higher standard.

I guess somewhere along the way AHTD and/or TDOT decided not to reroute I-55 when the "new bridge" was finished, probably in part because the new bridge has been almost continuously under construction since it was originally built due to seismic retrofits and in part because of the capacity deficiency of the original I-40/240 midtown interchange and the lane drop just east of the bridge.

US71

Quote from: rte66man on December 31, 2014, 10:24:59 AM
  Before the Harahan was opened for cars, you had to use a ferry to get to West Memphis.  Te first bridge at Memphis was teh Frisco (the one just north of the Harahan).  Both bridges are still very active.  As mentioned earlier, the Harahan road lanes were closed when the Memphis-Arkansas bridge was opened.  The Harahan lanes were a fire hazard.  The roadbed was creosote-soaked wooden planks.  Steam trains would shoot off sparks that would occasionally catch the road on fire.  The westbound lane was hung off the north side and the eastbound lane was on the south side of the bridge.
I wonder if there are any stats for cars who may have fallen off the bridge? I would likely need a change of pants if I drove it.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Tom958

Gravedig!  :clap:

I'd contacted, via Facebook, one Vance Lauderdale, who seemed like the guy to talk to about Memphis history. Just now he responded, directing me to this article in The Memphis Flyer called "The Memphis That Never Was":

The Riverfront -- 1955 Version

So (planning firm) Harland Bartholomew tried again in 1955. "The riverfront opposite the central business district offers a challenging opportunity to create an outstanding civic development," they reminded us. What they had in mind included the complete reconstruction of Mud Island, with a riverfront expressway, harbor, playing fields -- even a riverside stadium with parking for 5,000 cars.

Of course, we eventually built a 5,000-seat amphitheatre on Mud Island (without a single parking space), and in recent years Mayor Willie Herenton has floated plans to turn the Wolf River Harbor into a lake. But even that multimillion-dollar project falls short of this scheme.

"It is proposed to divert the [Wolf River] channel at a point near Poplar, and to fill the old channel, thus creating a very large area to be used for the purposes shown on the plan," explained Bartholomew. "The major street plan proposes an interstate route which would be located on Mud Island. With the proper connections to the downtown street system, this expressway would offer a new and impressive approach to the business district from the north and south."

Sometimes they guessed wrong about just what people would need in the 1990s. "In addition to the enlargement of Jefferson Davis Park," the plan continued, "a helicopter landing field and terminal are provided directly to the west of the park. This would make a conveniently located facility for helicopter transportation which, while now in its infancy, is progressing very rapidly."

Harland Bartholomew and Associates probably hated us. We just wouldn't listen, and ignored their best attempts to convert downtown into a city that the Jetsons would have loved.

rte66man

Quote from: US71 on January 07, 2015, 09:54:07 AM
Quote from: rte66man on December 31, 2014, 10:24:59 AM
  Before the Harahan was opened for cars, you had to use a ferry to get to West Memphis.  Te first bridge at Memphis was teh Frisco (the one just north of the Harahan).  Both bridges are still very active.  As mentioned earlier, the Harahan road lanes were closed when the Memphis-Arkansas bridge was opened.  The Harahan lanes were a fire hazard.  The roadbed was creosote-soaked wooden planks.  Steam trains would shoot off sparks that would occasionally catch the road on fire.  The westbound lane was hung off the north side and the eastbound lane was on the south side of the bridge.
I wonder if there are any stats for cars who may have fallen off the bridge? I would likely need a change of pants if I drove it.

My Dad was reared in Memphis during that time.  He doesn't remember ever hearing about such a thing.  Having seen some photos of the bridge roadbeds, it seems highly unlikely vehicles could have built up enough speed to hop or crush the railings.

-Yogi Berra

MikeTheActuary

Sorry for dusting off an old thread, but I was in Memphis a few weeks ago, but I figured my puny update didn't merit an all new thread. 

My father wanted to go look at progress on the Harahan bridge bikeway, and while I didn't get any particularly good pictures, I did notice that the railings for the old access roads have been repaired. (Note the lighter patches of concrete in the photo below.)

Also, it's worth mentioning that you can access recent-day photos taken (presumably by the contractors) on the old access roads via Google Street View.

I don't have pictures, but the bikeway is using the northern roadway on the Harahan Bridge.  Drivers crossing on I-55 can look over and see a brand new shiny fence that has been erected between the roadway and the rail deck, presumably to protect the trains from users of the path.

A new bikepath has been constructed at both ends of the bridge, connecting to Virginia Avenue on the east side, and ending rather abruptly at the intersection of Daucus Lake Road and Bridgeport Road on the west side.   A new parking area has been built along Daucus Lake Road immediately south of the I-55 bridge.

I didn't have the opportunity to inspect the bikeway on the Harahan itself.  My father didn't want to go traipsing through the construction area on the west end, and it was rather late when we checked out the east side.

And just for the sake of argument...here's what the bikeway looks like, immediately south of the I-55 bridge (looking north, towards the Harahan access ramp).   The path with handrails is a ramp leading down to the new parking area.

I haven't heard an update as to when they expect to open the path to the public.

The Ghostbuster

Has construction started on the Crump Blvd interchange revamp yet?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.