News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-35 Question

Started by dariusb, February 17, 2012, 03:38:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

texaskdog

Quote from: dariusb on February 21, 2012, 03:26:19 AM
Quote from: texaskdog on February 20, 2012, 01:18:27 PM
True dat, if the out of towners actually USED it it would help congestion in Austin.  Then when those highways weren't congested, they'd come back  :P  They are actually considering buying it and making 130 into I-35 and making it free so A) there isn't the money penatly and B) the plebians who don't pay attention would just stay on 35. 

If 130 was made into I-35 then what would the old highway be called? 735, 835, 935?

238-E

dariusb

Quote from: texaskdog on February 21, 2012, 10:24:37 AM
True dat, if the out of towners actually USED it it would help congestion in Austin.  Then when those highways weren't congested, they'd come back  :P  They are actually considering buying it and making 130 into I-35 and making it free so A) there isn't the money penatly and B) the plebians who don't pay attention would just stay on 35. 

If 130 was made into I-35 then what would the old highway be called? 735, 835, 935?

238-E
Wow. Ok, I didn't expect that. I wonder why they'd use that number?
It's a new day for a new beginning.

NE2

Quote from: dariusb on February 21, 2012, 03:16:18 PM

238-E
I wonder why you think anyone knows what number they'd pick. Psychohistory doesn't work when applied to individual decisions.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

kphoger

As has already been mentioned on here, Texas plans to make I-35 at least six lanes all the way from San Antonio to DFW.  I've driven the entire length from the OK line to within 25 miles of the Mexican border three times round-trip, and I've encountered fairly light traffic......the one time we did it in the middle of the night......like, getting going through Fort Worth sometime around midnight and getting into San Antonio shortly after 5:00 AM.  All other times I've driven it, I've encountered slow traffic in Austin, at least one backed-up portion in/near Fort Worth, and heavy but well flowing traffic along the rest of the route.

I do use I-410 South to bypass San Antonio, but do not use any other bypasses along the way.  I-820 around Fort Worth is too many miles out of the way, and is often not even where the congestion is.  I have done a small bypass of downtown Dallas when we went that way instead of Fort Worth, using Loop 12 and I-20.  I have never used the Austin bypass:  for me to pay extra in order to drive more miles, it had sure better be worth it; a small segment of slow-moving traffic or a brief traffic jam is not enough to make me fork out the money, especially when I'm travelling with two vehicles (mine and someone else's) and they don't take cash.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

I-35 was congested from I-410 to the Anderson Loop on both afternoons I traveled on it.

Quote from: NE2 on February 22, 2012, 05:15:05 AM
Psychohistory doesn't work when applied to individual decisions.

"The Mule" clause.

dariusb

Quote from: NE2 on February 22, 2012, 05:15:05 AM
Quote from: dariusb on February 21, 2012, 03:16:18 PM
True dat, if the out of towners actually USED it it would help congestion in Austin.  Then when those highways weren't congested, they'd come back  :P  They are actually considering buying it and making 130 into I-35 and making it free so A) there isn't the money penatly and B) the plebians who don't pay attention would just stay on 35.  

238-E
I wonder why you think anyone knows what number they'd pick. Psychohistory doesn't work when applied to individual decisions.
What's your deal? I was just curious and thought someone might have some info. It ain't that serious is it?

agentsteel53

Quote from: dariusb on February 22, 2012, 05:37:57 PM
What's your deal? I was just curious and thought someone might have some info. It ain't that serious is it?

welcome to the enchanted forest of NE2.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

dariusb

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 22, 2012, 06:02:43 PM

Lol, ok.

Scott5114

To give you an answer without NE2's gratuitous snark: Yes, it would probably be an even x35, unless it was determined that existing 35 was far enough below standard to warrant not retaining it as an Interstate, in which case it would get a Texas highway number of some kind. The possibility is also open for a Business I-35, as happened with old I-40 in Winston-Salem, NC. The 238 remark was a reference to I-238 in California being numbered badly.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 22, 2012, 06:02:43 PM

He's got some delicious mushrooms

Anthony_JK

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 23, 2012, 04:50:33 PM
To give you an answer without NE2's gratuitous snark: Yes, it would probably be an even x35, unless it was determined that existing 35 was far enough below standard to warrant not retaining it as an Interstate, in which case it would get a Texas highway number of some kind. The possibility is also open for a Business I-35, as happened with old I-40 in Winston-Salem, NC. The 238 remark was a reference to I-238 in California being numbered badly.

Actually, according to TXDOT, their idea was to remove that portion of I-35 not transferred to the new SH 45 SE/SH 130 routing from the Interstate system and probably make it an Business 35/US 81 route, or perhaps even a state highway (SH 1035???).

Personally, I think they should keep the through section as I-35 and probably designate the "new" loop as an I-x35...but that's only me.

Anthony

TheStranger

Quote from: Anthony_JK on February 24, 2012, 02:35:51 AM

Actually, according to TXDOT, their idea was to remove that portion of I-35 not transferred to the new SH 45 SE/SH 130 routing from the Interstate system and probably make it an Business 35/US 81 route, or perhaps even a state highway (SH 1035???).

Do you have a copy of your correspondence with TxDOT that says that (or any article/announcement to that effect)?
Chris Sampang

dariusb

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 23, 2012, 04:50:33 PM

Oh ok cool. As for your comment on I-238, do you know the history of that roadway when it comes to the numbering? Was there supposed to be an I-38 at some point nearby?

NE2

Quote from: dariusb on February 24, 2012, 04:22:05 AM
Oh ok cool. As for your comment on I-238, do you know the history of that roadway when it comes to the numbering? Was there supposed to be an I-38 at some point nearby?

Learn to fish: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=As+for+your+comment+on+I-238%2C+do+you+know+the+history+of+that+roadway+when+it+comes+to+the+numbering%3F&l=1

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

InterstateNG

I drove through the backup yesterday, took about 25 minutes to get from Koening to Ben White.  I don't know if it's due to the new toll routes or what but the backup isn't as bad as it used to be.  Southbound only started to backup around 32nd when it used to be well past Koening.

Expanding 35 (if it could be done given the right of way and contractual constraints) wouldn't do much if they don't fix the substandard ramps from UT down to Ben White.  There is simply no room to accelerate onto the freeway.
I demand an apology.

Grzrd

Quote from: TheStranger on February 24, 2012, 03:39:17 AM
Quote from: Anthony_JK on February 24, 2012, 02:35:51 AM
Do you have a copy of your correspondence with TxDOT that says that (or any article/announcement to that effect)?

Here's a prior thread that Anthony started on the topic.

EDIT

Quote from: Anthony_JK on April 19, 2011, 01:00:31 PM
Quick update:
TXDOT and the My35 Segment Three Committee has officially endorsed the proposed flip as a short-term project.
A PDF of the proposal can be found at the TXDOT My35 Reports and Plans page:  
http://www.my35.org/about/reports_plans.htm
(click on "Segment Three Recommendation Report" and then scroll to page 16 and 17).
Anthony

After Anthony made the above April 19 post in the prior thread, the I-35 Corridor Advisory Committee summarized their recommendation for the "flip" on page 78 of the I-35 Corridor Advisory Committee Plan (August 2011) (page 82/122 of pdf) as follows:

The I-35 Corridor Advisory Committee's recommendation involves the following actions:
A. Converting one general purpose lane on I-35 in each direction to a dynamically-priced managed lane while maintaining two non-tolled lanes in each direction from US 195 to SH 45SE, and re-designating the existing I-35 facility from an interstate to a non-interstate facility
B. Removing the tolls on SH 130 from US 195 north of Georgetown to SH 45SE in Mustang Ridge, and re-designating this portion of SH 130 as I-35
C. Removing the tolls on SH 45SE from Mustang Ridge northeast of Buda to I-35, and re-designating this roadway as I-35

These projects are classified as the First Priority Segment 3 Near-Term Roadway Project.

Scott5114

Quote from: NE2 on February 24, 2012, 04:52:30 AM
Quote from: dariusb on February 24, 2012, 04:22:05 AM

Learn to fish: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=As+for+your+comment+on+I-238%2C+do+you+know+the+history+of+that+roadway+when+it+comes+to+the+numbering%3F&l=1

Using "Let Me Google That For You" is demeaning and rude. So don't.

NE2

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 25, 2012, 11:06:09 AM
Using "Let Me Google That For You" is demeaning and rude.
So is asking questions that can be answered with a simple search.

dariusb

Quote from: NE2 on February 25, 2012, 11:39:36 AM
How is my asking a question in a respectful manner rude? Get off my d*** already.

Scott5114

Quote from: NE2 on February 25, 2012, 11:39:36 AM

No, it's not. Don't link to LMGTFY again. This isn't negotiable.

InterstateNG

Strange moderation around here.
I demand an apology.

Anthony_JK

Grzrd....thanks kindly for the backup.

Grzrd

^ No problem.  I had just finished reading the I-35 Study and decided to jump in.

Quote from: dariusb on February 17, 2012, 02:07:27 PM
Besides widening in Bell and McLennan counties are there plans to widen the freeway the whole way from Dallas to San Antonio?

In regard to the San Antonio area, I just came across a Feb. 22 video report about community meetings in regard to I-35 congestion in the San Antonio area:

Residents provided feedback on their vision for the future of the I-35 corridor at the first of two workshops this week hosted by the Alamo Regional Mobility Authority and the Texas Department of Transportation ....
The agencies are considering several options to improve the situation, including adding lanes, adding a second deck of highway, and adding a rail line between San Antonio and Austin ....
TxDOT has some temporary fixes in the works, including adding an extra lane in each direction between Judson Road and FM 3009, but Alloway said a long-term solution is likely years away, with an environment impact statement, alone, likely to take at least three years.

TxDOT and the Alamo RMA have a related IH 35 Planning and Environmental Linkages Study website.  The study is in regard to I-35 from FM 1103 into Downtown San Antonio.

dariusb

Quote from: Grzrd on February 27, 2012, 05:12:01 PM
^ No problem.  I had just finished reading the I-35 Study and decided to jump in.

Quote from: dariusb on February 17, 2012, 02:07:27 PM
Besides widening in Bell and McLennan counties are there plans to widen the freeway the whole way from Dallas to San Antonio?

In regard to the San Antonio area, I just came across a Feb. 22 video report about community meetings in regard to I-35 congestion in the San Antonio area:

Residents provided feedback on their vision for the future of the I-35 corridor at the first of two workshops this week hosted by the Alamo Regional Mobility Authority and the Texas Department of Transportation ....
The agencies are considering several options to improve the situation, including adding lanes, adding a second deck of highway, and adding a rail line between San Antonio and Austin ....
TxDOT has some temporary fixes in the works, including adding an extra lane in each direction between Judson Road and FM 3009, but Alloway said a long-term solution is likely years away, with an environment impact statement, alone, likely to take at least three years.

TxDOT and the Alamo RMA have a related IH 35 Planning and Environmental Linkages Study website.  The study is in regard to I-35 from FM 1103 into Downtown San Antonio.

Cool. Thanks for the link.

InterstateNG

Some other questions:

1. The congestion around Schertz going SB on 35, what causes it.  It's not the interchange with the Anderson Loop, as speeds pick up before that point.

2. This was on KXAN today:

http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/local/austin/some-traffic-relief-for-sxsw-drivers

QuoteBesides downtown transportation, the city of Austin, along with the Texas Department of Transportation, is exploring the option of putting interchanges in at I-35 and Caesar Chavez Street, and I-35 and Riverside Drive, since that seems to be the biggest bottleneck area on the interstate. The proposals would cost anywhere from $20 million to $100 million and take about three to five years to complete if they're approved.

An express toll lane is also in discussion for installation along I-35 from Caesar Chavez Street to William Cannon Drive.

There already are exits for Chavez and Riverside.  In fact, their substandard nature (as well as every exit from the double deck to 290/71) is what causes a lot of the slow down.
I demand an apology.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.