News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

formulanone

I drove on FL 292 last week, verifying it was truncated from AL 182 (no pics, sorry). No end sign on its western end.

Interestingly, there's a few times it's labeled as north/south at SR 173 and randomly along the route. I can see why US 98 does that, but not here.

roadman65

Quote from: Alex on July 02, 2020, 06:47:39 PM
Quote from: emory on July 01, 2020, 10:59:54 PM
I took a look at Google Street View to see the Starke Bypass and noticed that the split on both ends from US 319 facing the intersection signs the bypass as US 319 ALT and the main road as US 319 BUS. The latter must be in error because I don't remember there being plans to re-sign US 319 as a business route.

There are no plans to designate a business route for U.S. 301. Instead the Business banners are an attempt to steer some of the traffic into Starke to patronize area businesses.

Similarly, there are also business banners (somewhat erroneous) for SR 16 and SR 100 on the off-ramps from U.S. 301 ALT / Starke Truck Route:

Have complete coverage of the Starke Truck Route in both directions on the site.
US 258 used to do that years ago around Smithfield, VA.  It had the mainline into the city signed as BUSINESS between the two Truck Bypass endpoints.  Being that there was no mainline other than a business and a truck split, the route through the city was the mainline.  Boulder City in NV had the same for US 93 signing the mainline as Business and the bypass as a truck route before I-11 was built.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

UCFKnights

Quote from: pianocello on June 28, 2020, 09:12:14 AM
Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on June 27, 2020, 02:54:43 AM
I am not sure on where to put this, but it's pretty exciting!

The Florida Turnpike is currently working on two all-electronic (AET) conversions along the Turnpike itself.

Interesting. I don't know much about how the existing AET system works on Turnpike-maintained roads, but I'm concerned about how this will mesh with the potentially high amount of out-of-state traffic north of SR 429. Is there an extra surcharge for vehicles without SunPass? Does it cost FTE any more to bill by plate for out-of-state plates?

That said, I'm glad they're finally making it possible to bypass cash lanes system-wide. On my first time driving on the Turnpike, I was in a rental car paid by the company I was interviewing for and I didn't know you couldn't go back and pay tolls online later like in Illinois.
SunPass already charges more on every toll for both cash and billing by plate (rather implemented as a discount for using SunPass). There is a couple dollar administrative fee I believe charged only once a month when you're billed for using the toll by plate system.

Even though its not signed, Toll by Plate has been active for several years at all SunPass/EPass toll plazas. The "AET" conversion is really just the removal of the on road cash option from the toll plazas and full installation of high speed lanes everywhere instead of 25mph speed limits through plazas.

VTGoose

Quote from: Alex on July 02, 2020, 06:47:39 PM

There are no plans to designate a business route for U.S. 301. Instead the Business banners are an attempt to steer some of the traffic into Starke to patronize area businesses.

Not really concerned about how the road is designated -- it is a vast improvement over crawling through Stark!

How will the Baldwin bypass be signed whenever it is completed? Sadly, we won't be able to take advantage of it since our daughter-in-law has completed her residency and is finishing a fellowship, followed by a move to Baton Rouge from Apollo Beach.

Bruce in Blacksburg
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

Stephane Dumas

I saw that video posted last February about the Gateway project in St. Petersburg and the more recent photos shows the piers taken last June.
https://www.fdottampabay.com/project/235/433880-1-52-01
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEc_w-OyAAY 

Brian556

On Google Maps, I see a new roundabout being constructed at US 1 & Old Dixie at Korona, which is in Flagler County. Also, look just southeast of that intersection, and you will see something very odd. A half-abandoned circular street. What the heck?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Flagler+County,+FL/@29.4056879,-81.1961992,375m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x88e6ed38655554ff:0x653b326cf0caafbd!8m2!3d29.4086072!4d-81.2518833

kevinb1994

Quote from: Brian556 on July 31, 2020, 10:16:45 PM
On Google Maps, I see a new roundabout being constructed at US 1 & Old Dixie at Korona, which is in Flagler County. Also, look just southeast of that intersection, and you will see something very odd. A half-abandoned circular street. What the heck?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Flagler+County,+FL/@29.4056879,-81.1961992,375m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x88e6ed38655554ff:0x653b326cf0caafbd!8m2!3d29.4086072!4d-81.2518833
Probably a failed utopian settlement.

Finrod

Quote from: Brian556 on July 31, 2020, 10:16:45 PM

Could it have something to do with the Catholic church that's just to the east/northeast of it?
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

D-Dey65

Is this an old image of the Welcome Center on I-95 or on FL SR 200?
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Florida_Welcome_Center,_Yulee,_Florida_LCCN2017712561.tif

Because FDOT may give the address of the one on I-95 as being in Yulee, but it's a little too far north.

kevinb1994

Quote from: D-Dey65 on August 06, 2020, 10:21:20 AM
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Florida_Welcome_Center,_Yulee,_Florida_LCCN2017712561.tif

Because FDOT may give the address of the one on I-95 as being in Yulee, but it's a little too far north.
I think that's the old one on US 17!

DeaconG

I had a chance to access the new interchange with I-95 at Ellis Road in Melbourne, it's between the CR 518 (Eau Gallie Blvd) and US 192 exits. The interchange is actually a combo diamond/loop (NB off, SB off and on are diamond ramps, the NB on is a loop ramp that services both directions. I have no idea why they didn't just do a full diamond, but whatever).

The interchange ties in Ellis Road on the east end and the current terminus of the St. John's Heritage Parkway on the west end. The Ellis Road/John Rodes Blvd intersection is less than 500 feet east of the interchange.

On the one hand, it will give you a straight shot to Melbourne International Airport and if you live on the western side of Palm Bay, it gives you the ability to bypass Minton Road (which is a pain).

On the other hand, if they don't widen Ellis Road RIGHT NOW all they've done is create a mess that will be evident in another year. You're already funneling the four lanes of NASA Blvd that goes to/from the airport into a two-lane Ellis Road at Wickham Road, it's already a PITA during rush hour and when folks realize it now ties into I-95, it will get worse if they don't four lane it between John Rodes and Wickham. This time next year, the screaming will be intense.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

kevinb1994

Quote from: DeaconG on August 08, 2020, 03:09:05 PM
I had a chance to access the new interchange with I-95 at Ellis Road in Melbourne, it's between the CR 518 (Eau Gallie Blvd) and US 192 exits. The interchange is actually a combo diamond/loop (NB off, SB off and on are diamond ramps, the NB on is a loop ramp that services both directions. I have no idea why they didn't just do a full diamond, but whatever).

The interchange ties in Ellis Road on the east end and the current terminus of the St. John's Heritage Parkway on the west end. The Ellis Road/John Rodes Blvd intersection is less than 500 feet east of the interchange.

On the one hand, it will give you a straight shot to Melbourne International Airport and if you live on the western side of Palm Bay, it gives you the ability to bypass Minton Road (which is a pain).

On the other hand, if they don't widen Ellis Road RIGHT NOW all they've done is create a mess that will be evident in another year. You're already funneling the four lanes of NASA Blvd that goes to/from the airport into a two-lane Ellis Road at Wickham Road, it's already a PITA during rush hour and when folks realize it now ties into I-95, it will get worse if they don't four lane it between John Rodes and Wickham. This time next year, the screaming will be intense.
I'm glad that I don't live in Brevard right now...Duval is enough to handle as it is. #904Represent

roadman65

What is with the elevated structure over the power line ROW on St Johns Heritage?

Sheryl Crowe

DeaconG

Quote from: roadman65 on August 08, 2020, 11:01:17 PM

What is with the elevated structure over the power line ROW on St Johns Heritage?

I have no idea...it took me weeks to figure out that the west side ramps were up close TIGHT to I-95, which had something to do with the power lines.
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"

cw321

There is a residential neighborhood on the NE corner of the 95/Ellis intersection that prevents a diamond on-ramp to the interstate.

Space Coast TPO lists the Ellis Road widening project as their #1 priority.  https://spacecoasttpo.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/2020-Adopted-Project-Priorities.pdf  However, they are only in ROW acquisition phase and a number of years away from completing the widening project.

The bypass of Minton for Palm Bay/Emerson traffic to points on Wickham Road is nice, but hopefully the interchange will relieve the rush hour backups at 192/John Rodes and Eau Gallie/John Rodes.

DeaconG

^^^Welcome to AA Roads!

kevinb1994

Quote from: DeaconG on August 10, 2020, 11:46:52 PM
^^^Welcome to AA Roads!
^^^Good to see someone else from the 321 area code! ;)

VTGoose

[Catching up from a few weeks ago...] Made our last trip from Apollo Beach (kids move to Baton Rouge for a new job), so will miss actually getting to use the Baldwin Bypass (although did enjoy going around Starke at 70). When last through there, the southern end was being configured and tied into the existing roads and ramps (I-10 interchange work isn't done YET). Southbound traffic jogs right on what will be the connector road into Balwin (there will be a four-way intersection there with Brandy Branch Rd.) then veers left on the tail of the bypass road. Northbound traffic weaves along the existing roadway as the direct connection to the bypass is built. Nothing has changed at the north end, there is still a hard right turn from the access road onto the southbound lane, which is two-way for some distance (why traffic can't turn onto the completed northbound lanes is a mystery, but most of Florida road construction is baffling). It does appear that completion of the bypass may come pretty soon (unless they pull a Starke and keep changing the date on the signs as the only progress toward a finish).

Bruce in Blacksburg, Va.
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

cw321

I-95 Exit 166 at St. Johns Heritage Parkway is now open according to https://www.floridatoday.com/story/news/2020/08/11/palm-bay-officials-celebrate-opening-95-st-johns-heritage-parkway-interchange/3297989001/ .  The exit has been marked "EXIT CLOSED" since August 2019.  FDOT completed the interchange but the City of Palm Bay was on the hook for completing the link between the interchange and the Parkway.  Hopefully I can get out and drive the intersection this weekend.

Thanks for the welcome.  Long time lurker.

D-Dey65

Quote from: kevinb1994 on August 06, 2020, 01:41:23 PM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on August 06, 2020, 10:21:20 AM

I think that's the old one on US 17!
Okay, so what's there now?

cw321

The I-4 Ultimate project posted two videos on YouTube comparing the current state today to 2014.

I-4 Eastbound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHt9lgxL1xk

I-4 Westbound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aebYAX1kBiI

roadman65

The Kirkman interchange on I- 4 is almost completed. In fact the whole Ultimate minus the express lane flyover is practically done in the Universal and Conroy area. Crews are putting down the permanent asphalt layer in that part right now.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

The Baldwin Bypass for US 301 that has been in the construction phase for 6.5 years is got signs up at its north end. The bypass arterial will be signed US 301 BY PASS and the existing will remain as mainline US 301.

The reconfigurations of both terminus intersections is done on the north end but on the south end it's coming any day.

Also I waited 20 minutes for a hundred or more car train moving slowly to enter the rail yard to the south of it on the US 90 and 301 overlap. It seems FDOT is taking way too long along with the I-10 and US 301 exchange to be reconfigured. 

Sheryl Crowe

HTM Duke

^
I can confirm that the bypass is now open, with some late stage construction work still ongoing at the southern tie-in to 301.  I got stopped at the train crossing on 90 west, and it was traffic on 90 alone providing the backup, as I saw maybe 2-3 cars come down 301 south.  This led me to wonder if the bypass was open, so I took a quick detour down 301 south, then picked up the bypass north back to 90.

An idea for FDOT: with the bypass now open, perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea to provide signage showing an alternate route for traffic on 90 when a train is passing through.  (i.e., 90 west: right at 301 north, left at 301 bypass south, right at 90 west; and vice-versa.)  Also would need a way to ensure the intersection of 90 and 301 remains clear to let traffic through.

Also, a quick question.  I was out clinching FL-230, and there were a couple of unused bridges that appeared to be of the same vintage as the ones the road used.  Was there a plan once upon a time to widen 230 down to Camp Blanding's west gate?
List of routes: Traveled | Clinched

rickmastfan67

Quote from: HTM Duke on September 15, 2020, 10:55:30 PM
This led me to wonder if the bypass was open, so I took a quick detour down 301 south, then picked up the bypass north back to 90.

It opened on the 13th.

http://nflroads.com/ProjectDetails?p=5035

QuoteThe bypass opened to traffic Sunday, September 13. Drivers traveling north from the I-10 bridge will now stop at the new signalized intersection at Brandy Branch Road and continue north to the old U.S. 301 lanes through the Town of Baldwin or continue north on the newly constructed State Road 201/Baldwin Bypass to existing U.S. 301. The new south connector of State Road 201/Baldwin Bypass is also open to traffic.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.