News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off-Topic / Re: Minor things that bother y...
Last post by vdeane - Today at 09:25:06 PM
Link taxes need to die.  Governments keep claiming they're to prevent social media for leeching off journalism, but in reality it goes against how the internet works and is solely motivated by old-style media sources upset that the days of everyone and their dog having a subscription to a newspaper or two and getting all their news from said newspaper are long gone.  They don't like that people have gotten used to picking and choosing what articles to read based on whatever is interesting in the moment, and as such each article needs to be able to compete on its own, they can't rely on their reputation in aggregate any more.

Quote from: JayhawkCO on Today at 08:56:04 AM
Quote from: vdeane on May 02, 2024, 09:33:13 PMThe enshitification of YouTube continues.  They've gotten rid of the option to disable autoplay, so if you don't want the video to advance, you have to catch it at the end (and they decreased the countdown to three seconds; I think they used to give 7-10).  Since I often use YouTube to listen to music while doing other things or have a video playing picture in picture, I often won't see the countdown until it's already too late.

Are they trying to drive people away from the platform?

Honest question. Is there a reason that you can't just switch videos once you are hearing something you didn't select? I don't view it a lot different than changing the radio station if a song comes on that I don't like.
And if I want to read the comments?  Or listen to the song again later (music is my stimming)?  Plus I'm usually listening to music with headphones since I like it louder than I could play in my apartment without risking a noise complaint, and having something I didn't choose while I have things set up that way is really annoying.

Also what Scott said about ads.  My browser has an adblocker built in (on mobile, even), but said adblocker stopped working on YouTube a couple weeks ago.
Central States / Re: Missouri
Last post by ilpt4u - Today at 09:21:48 PM
Quote from: PColumbus73 on Today at 12:40:48 PMI was curious about I-72...

I was reading that the long-term plan is for I-72 to extend St. Joseph, but the Missouri Governor seems to be uninterested in building it. It appears counter-intuitive to me that they would be on board with creating the 110 / CKC, but not I-72.

Is Missouri just more interested in maintaining their existing system over adding new Interstate highways? But also, if they built I-49, what's the hold-back on I-72?
According to the Post-Dispatch story referenced in the post before yours, the Missouri Senate is adding some funding for the US 67 upgrade to I-57 south of Poplar Bluff to the budget, so there is some interest in new interstate in the Show Me State

Whether said proposal survives the full budget process to reconcile the House and Senate versions, and then any potential Governor Line Item Vetos, remains to be seen
Northwest / Re: Puget Sound Gateway Progra...
Last post by ErmineNotyours - Today at 09:15:44 PM
I just got a job south of the 24th Ave. S. & 509 interchange, so I drive by the new construction every day.  Today I finally walked out there after work to take pictures.

View southeasterly towards Pacific Highway South (International Boulevard) with the new Link Light Rail alignment.

West portal of the possible Sea-Tac Airport South Freeway fly-under.

They already have the traffic light heads installed on the street, even though they don't even have the curbs cut for the new ramps, or the control boxes.  They also have metering planned from the start, even though this on ramp will be the start of the freeway for years to come.
Mid-Atlantic / Re: Francis Scott Key Bridge (...
Last post by vdeane - Today at 09:10:33 PM
Quote from: PColumbus73 on Today at 08:17:49 AMIt seems inevitable that a cable-stayed bridge would be used. If so, I'd like to see the new one incorporate an arch design into it to evoke the former bridge.
How about a tied arch bridge like the Crown Point Bridge?
Road Enthusiasts Meetings / Re: Pennsylvania Oil Country/F...
Last post by Laura - Today at 09:04:41 PM
We are in now for the meet on 6/22!
I have officially changed the date of this meet to the 22nd to allow more attendance and get it off Fathers Day Weekend.
Northeast / Re: New York
Last post by vdeane - Today at 08:54:08 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on May 02, 2024, 10:23:58 PMI'm being facetious obviously. I don't know why I have to spell that out with a crayon. But that's ridiculous to suggest that every single ptoposed project should be subject for a tunnel study. The only one being obtuse and unreasonable. Here is you because we both know that there is no way in hell they are going to select the tunnel alternative. So no, they don't need to study it.
Let's take a look at what happened in Syracuse.  The tunnel was dismissed fairly quickly for being too costly relative to the benefits it would provide and for having engineering challenges (like the high water table).  Groups like Save81 weren't happy, and successfully forced the state to study it again, delaying the project for several years.  Given that I seem to remember someone saying that Region 3 was favoring the viaduct a decade ago, it would be ironic if Save81's effort to prevent the viaduct removal instead caused it by delaying the project long enough for the political winds to change.

This system of evaluating an alternative that isn't expected to be implemented to get everything documented is actually very similar to the "no build" alternative that is required by law to be included in every project.
Canada / Re: Ontario's Highways
Last post by cbeach40 - Today at 08:54:06 PM
Quote from: vdeane on April 26, 2024, 12:55:01 PMMeanwhile, I find it curious that the Kingston-ON 16 section of ON 401 was omitted.  That, 401 west of Toronto, most of the rest of 400, and 407 strike me as the major "missing links" for 110 kph.

Now if only Québec would get on board...

This is just the next phase, some of them are dependent on reconstruction to a better design - e.g., the extension of the 110 east of Tilbury coincided with the widening and upgraded median. The balance of the 401 west of London I wouldn't expect to see upped until it's widened with a concrete barrier as well.

The 400 I'd also put down as unlikely pending massive reconstruction. the original Toronto-Barrie section was built with a 50 mph design speed initially and they've been having to work off and retrofit that geometry since. 407 is highly doubtful as well, by virtue of its P3 construction the margins in the geometry are razor thin. For the provincially-operated portion it could happen if the deficiencies to get it over the hump are minor. For the privately-operated section, again there's deficiencies as well that you'd have to see if 407ETR are willing to pony up to correct them. Plus legally then you're opening up the Highway 407 Act and the lease agreement.

So it's not impossible to see it happen before 2098, but there's a lot of baggage to go with that one.
Traffic Control / Re: Unique, Odd, or Interestin...
Last post by Big John - Today at 08:46:26 PM
Quote from: 7/8 on Today at 05:00:15 PM
Quote from: plain on Today at 04:37:27 PMhttps://maps.app.goo.gl/H65XMmtmXE8bUAnW6

I'm fascinated by the road design. The centreline of the road looks somewhat flat, but the sides have a steep crossfall (this view shows how tilted the cars are along the curbs). I'm used to 2% crossfalls directly from the centreline which looks very discreet in comparison (example in Kitchener, ON).
The elliptical cross-section. Less prevalent now as modern grading equipment have more trouble with variable cross slopes.
Northeast / Re: What is it with I-95 & bri...
Last post by LilianaUwU - Today at 08:08:42 PM
Quote from: shadyjay on Today at 08:04:56 PM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on Today at 07:11:35 PMHas driver quality lowered in the last few years? I feel like people sucking at driving isn't a new thing.

Oh, it most definitely has!  Riding around in a big rig for the past month at my new job, I'm noticing just how many drivers are on their phones or severely distracted while driving.  Not to mention the excessive speed (80 MPH in the left lane isn't fast enough), the cut-from-far-left-lane to the far right lane across 3-4 lanes at the last possible second, or the weaving in and out of lanes without any blinker or barely a look. 

My brother was in the far left lane of I-95 somewhere down by Fairfield way a couple weeks ago, and got passed by someone on the left... yup, the left.  The shoulder.  Last time I checked... that's not a travel lane.  But someone would rather risk the life everyone on the road just to get to their destination 2 minutes quicker. 
Having been in a big rig (though as a passenger), I noticed something: so many people slow way down to turn right. Nothing's obstructing your way, why are you slowing down that much?!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.