News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Odd Things Some DOT's Do

Started by Ian, August 26, 2009, 05:31:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

QUOTE:  Another one I've seen on I-80 is "Buckle Up Next Million Miles" and before Pennsy finally raised the speed limit to 65 there were big signs that said.  "PENNSYLVANIA'S SPEED LIMIT IS STILL 55 MPH"

Anybody remember and/or have pics of the big BLUE signs in PA (usually near the state lines) in which they would list what was supposedly* the different tiers of fines for speeding on the PA interstates? (i.e. 56-60 was a $x fine, 61-65 was $x, etc...).

I seem to recall those signs going the way of the "STILL 55 signs" at about the same time.

* -- I never attempted to find out for sure if the "signed fines" were for real!!!   :biggrin:

akotchi

My last recollection of those signs showed the fine for 55 - 60 to be $132.50.  Can't remember the rest, though.  I remember seeing one on the Turnpike entering from New Jersey.  I have no photos of any, either.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

mightyace

Quote from: thenetwork on September 01, 2009, 09:21:05 PM
Anybody remember and/or have pics of the big BLUE signs in PA (usually near the state lines) in which they would list what was supposedly* the different tiers of fines for speeding on the PA interstates? (i.e. 56-60 was a $x fine, 61-65 was $x, etc...).

I seem to recall those signs going the way of the "STILL 55 signs" at about the same time.

* -- I never attempted to find out for sure if the "signed fines" were for real!!!   :biggrin:

I remember them now, I had forgotten about them.

My brother once said about them, "Okay, here are the fines, how much money do I have in my wallet?"  :-D :sombrero:
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

PAHighways

Quote from: thenetwork on September 01, 2009, 09:21:05 PMAnybody remember and/or have pics of the big BLUE signs in PA (usually near the state lines) in which they would list what was supposedly* the different tiers of fines for speeding on the PA interstates? (i.e. 56-60 was a $x fine, 61-65 was $x, etc...).

Both

One used to be on I-376/US 22 (Parkway East) westbound a mile before the Penn Hills interchange.  I have a picture of another in my gallery courtesy of John Krakoff who took it on February 18, 2001!

US71

Missouri still has plywood signs on the Primary & Secondary roads (usually guide signs) but they are slowly being replaced.

Arkansas seems to despise multiplexed routes. AR 59 has a 3-4 mile concurrence with US 62,  but AHTD now posts it "TO 59".

US 71 and US 62 are multiplexed along I-540 from Fayetteville to Bentonville, but they aren't posted.  Ditto other multiplexes along I-40, I-30 and I-55.

They also like posting "advance turn" assemblies before the intersection, but no signage at the intersection

Also: at an intersection, if there is a sign for the intersecting route, the main route goes unposted. (as in AR 59 above)

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

froggie

QuoteArkansas seems to despise multiplexed routes.

If they involve state routes, yes it appears that way.  However, the I-540/US 62/US 71 example you cited is one of only a couple examples I know of where US route multiplexes were not signed...the other I'm aware of being along I-30 southwest of Little Rock.

US71

I-40/US 65

I-530/US 65

I-30/ US 65-67-70-167

I-540/US 71 (Ft Smith)

I-40/US 63

I-55/ US 63

I-55/US 70-79 at West Memphis

Also US 70/US 79 (only 70 is posted), though there is some confusion as to whether 79 follows US 70 or I-40

EB 70 at SB 79

froggie

Of those, only one does not involve an Interstate (and I should've remembered the I-55 ones).  So that's probably more appropriate...they despise multiplexes involving state routes or Interstaes.  Since there's a whole slew of US route multiplexes that are signed...US 82/278, US 65/82/278, US 65/165, US 67/167, US 62/412, US 70/270, etc etc.

Truvelo

Quote from: US71 on September 02, 2009, 08:10:12 AM

Should both the arrows pointing to the right be at the same angle as they are pointing towards the same stretch of road?
Speed limits limit life

US71

AHTD is often inconsistent with their arrows. Yes, that probably should be an angle arrow for 79, but I have questions about that. It should follow US 70, which is a few hundred feet south of here.  :pan:

burgess87

Sorry for the small image, guys - but this sign is hilarious (and very true):

Michael

I think 4+ digit routes are odd, but I'm guessing they're minor.  I guess I'm just used to New York's Reference Routes.

agentsteel53

reference routes are plenty odd!  :sombrero:
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

mightyace

Quote from: Michael on September 03, 2009, 04:28:42 PM
I think 4+ digit routes are odd, but I'm guessing they're minor.

If we're talking about signed ones, I agree.  That applies to Kentucky, Louisiana and anyone else?
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

florida

Quote from: mightyace on September 03, 2009, 04:56:29 PM

If we're talking about signed ones, I agree.  That applies to Kentucky, Louisiana and anyone else?

FL, too. One state and quite a bunch of county routes.
So many roads...so little time.

froggie

Virginia is another with 4-digit routes.

wytout

VA also has 90003, 90004, and 90005 but I do not believe they are signposted.
-Chris

florida

Quote from: wytout on September 05, 2009, 09:13:31 PM
VA also has 90003, 90004, and 90005 but I do not believe they are signposted.

Thought someone on here stated there was at least a sign for 90005.
So many roads...so little time.

PAHighways

Quote from: mightyace on September 03, 2009, 04:56:29 PM

Pennsylvania

I've only seen one instance where a four digit was marked on a guide sign, and that is on the fare schedule signs on PA Turnpike 66 approaching Exit 9.

NJRoadfan

NJDOT uses regular non-cutout shields on BGSes exclusively (why stock cutouts when you can stock one shield for all applications).

Some exceptions exist, but are rare on NJDOT maintained roads (the toll roads have quite a few cutouts).

NJDOT also posts hanging signs on all traffic light masts on state maintained roadways regardless of classification (most states reserve them for major divided highways or boulevards). What they don't do is constantly post BEGIN and END bannered shields at the termini of highways. They do post Mile 0 (Zero)at the south/west end of routes. They used to post Mile END markers at the north/east end of routes, but that doesn't seem to be policy anymore as all the ones I have found are either missing or old and beat up.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: froggie on August 29, 2009, 08:31:40 AM
Basically a reminder to drivers to keep a safe distance between them and the vehicle ahead of them...something too few drivers do these days.  Could be that PennDOT put them in on segments where there have been too many rear-end accidents from drivers following too closely.

PennDOT did do that on US-220 just South of Port Matilda because of all the accidents on the two-lane stretch.  However, that section of highway has now been replaced by I-99/US-220's new alignment.

froggie

QuoteThought someone on here stated there was at least a sign for 90005.

There are no VA 90005 shields...the 5-digit routes starting in 9 are all for internal VDOT reasons.

Highest signed route in Virginia is one of the secondary routes...somewhere in the 107xx's, using Virginia's typical small rectangular white sign.  Which itself is an "odd thing that VDOT does"...using those rectangular white signs to post secondary route numbers.

agentsteel53

North Carolina also posts secondary route markers with little white rectangles, but if I recall correctly, they are segmented, with each number taking up a separate panel - and the panels are lined up vertically!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

deathtopumpkins

Yep. You recall correctly.

I've also noticed in NC that on most rural roads the house number is mounted in the same way on mailbox posts, though white-on-green. Pretty consistent too, so I assume NCDOT does it.

froggie, you got a picture of that sign?
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Ian

froggie,

the Dolly Parton term for that signal is the name the members in the signal forum I am in uses.

Here are more thing's I have noticed...
-the southwest state's seem to use "full circle" traffic signal visors extensively.

-California and Arizona use bent or curved traffic signal mast arms

-Pennsylvania likes to use the weave area sign:

-Texas and how they like to install their sign assemblies on a "U" pole:
www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=TX19790372t100370.jpg
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.