News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Odd Things Some DOT's Do

Started by Ian, August 26, 2009, 05:31:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

How about this:

The Dutch freeway network is saturated to 120% (American standards: 180% probably) of it's capacity (up to 120,000 AADT on 4 lanes and 180,000 on six lanes, that kind of stuff).

When roadworks have to be done, the Dutch DOT offers rushhour drivers MONEY to avoid rushhour. If you avoid rushhour, you'll get € 4 per day (about $ 5). Hence, if you do this for like 3 months, you can earn about $ 300 by avoiding rushhour, by either going before or after rushhour or use alternative transportation options.

Imo it's a bit over the top that this kind of tax money waste is necessary to reduce congestion, but o.k.

agentsteel53

I have been diligently avoiding Dutch traffic jams for quite a few years now.  Where's my money?  :sombrero:
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

roadfro

Quote from: PennDOTFan on September 06, 2009, 03:41:19 PM
Here are more thing's I have noticed...
-the southwest state's seem to use "full circle" traffic signal visors extensively.
-California and Arizona use bent or curved traffic signal mast arms

Count Nevada in on both of these, to some extent.

* Nevada signals use mostly full circle or "tunnel" visors, as it helps the light stand out against the desert sun. Newer installations in the north, however, have the bottom section of the visor cut out to prevent accumulation when it snows.

* The Reno/Sparks area, and Carson City to a lesser extent, seem to have preferred the curved/bent signal mast arm. Smaller intersections in Las Vegas used to use the curved double guy mast arms. Curved arms also sometimes pop up in smaller towns, but these are the smaller variety with one signal head that are similar to a double-guy style without the guy supports.  This is no longer the common practice, and the whole state seems to be using straight mast arms for all new installations regardless of intersection size.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Revive 755

Quote from: froggieVirginia is another with 4-digit routes.

Illinois seems to have a secret route 8995 for the Great River (Mississippi) Road south of US 34.

Scott5114

Quote from: PennDOTFan on September 06, 2009, 03:41:19 PM
-Texas and how they like to install their sign assemblies on a "U" pole:
www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=TX19790372t100370.jpg

We need a roadgeek term for those. I propose "Texas fork" or "Texas goalpost"  :biggrin: Texas uses them for a lot more than route shields; they're often used to prop up signs that most other states would use two poles for:

If you look closely, you can see the bottom crossbar poking below the bottom of the sign. I've also seen these on I-70 in Ohio, used to hold gore point signs of all things.

Quote from: Revive 755Illinois seems to have a secret route 8995 for the Great River (Mississippi) Road south of US 34.

Really? How'd you determine this?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Revive 755

Quote from: Scott5114Really? How'd you determine this?

Drove the route twice (a week apart), but failed to get pictures of the reference markers both times. 

It's only the section of the Great River Road between US 34 and IL 96, to clarify things.

thenetwork

RE: The "Texas Goalpost" Assemblies...

They have them here in Colorado as well.  The one design flaw I have seen in them (and I have seen cases in both CO & OH) is that they easily twist askew, resulting in the sign facing in the wrong direction.  My guess is that the 3 bolts that attach the pole to the base get sheared off in heavy winds, or that the base turns with the rest of the pole.  It happens a lot here in W. CO and in NE OH.

froggie

The wind thing is partially why MnDOT adds additional poles slanting diagonally from the sign, such as in these two examples.
Here's an example of the back of a sign in a case where they didn't use the slant bar.

(might need to hit refresh after you click on the links)

roadfro

Quote from: froggie on September 08, 2009, 07:53:02 PM
The wind thing is partially why MnDOT adds additional poles slanting diagonally from the sign, such as in these two examples.
Here's an example of the back of a sign in a case where they didn't use the slant bar.

(might need to hit refresh after you click on the links)

Links came up with a "403 - Forbidden" error, even after refreshing.

NDOT uses slanted poles as an additional support for large guide signs, as well as some smaller guide signs in places where high winds may occur. In high wind areas and/or high traffic locations, normal highway signs (such as speed limits, warning signs, etc.) are now often installed using two poles with braces.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

deathtopumpkins

Highlight the address bar and press enter.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

mightyace

Quote from: PAHighways on September 05, 2009, 11:35:16 PM
Quote from: mightyace on September 03, 2009, 04:56:29 PM
Quote from: Michael on September 03, 2009, 04:28:42 PM
I think 4+ digit routes are odd, but I'm guessing they're minor.

If we're talking about signed ones, I agree.  That applies to Kentucky, Louisiana and anyone else?

Pennsylvania

I've only seen one instance where a four digit was marked on a guide sign, and that is on the fare schedule signs on PA Turnpike 66 approaching Exit 9.

Having grown up in PA, I knew that "legislative routes" could have four digits, but I didn't count them as they are only signed on those little white square markers along the road.  (Other than your exception, of course.)
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.