News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Human flight

Started by bandit957, January 21, 2015, 12:05:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

What are the prospects for the future of human flight?

I'd like to be able to fly like Superman. Are there any cheap and practical inventions on the horizon that would let people fly without needing an aircraft? Maybe some sort of cape or flight suit? If so, what speeds would be possible? How often would it need to be recharged?
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

hotdogPi

Maybe if we invented something that constantly pushed up on a person with a force of 10 m/s² (Earth's gravity is -9.8 m/s²) when on, and could easily be turned on or off by voice commands.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kkt

Jet packs.  They work, but they're expensive and have major limitations.  The flights can only be very short.

Pete from Boston

Steal some fizzy lifting drinks.

Duke87

Would be more practical on worlds other than Earth. It's been pointed out that Titan (one of Saturn's moons) has both lower gravity and a denser atmosphere than Earth, so with some fabricated wings it would be relatively easy for a human to fly there. You'd also need a space suit, though, since it's reeeally cold and you can't breathe that air.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Brandon

Ask Tony Stark for an Ironman suit.  :pan:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

kkt

I want the powered armor suit Heinlein described in Starship Troopers.  Unfortunately, it was too advanced to even portray in the movie.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.