News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

The Wildfires thread

Started by bing101, September 08, 2022, 10:21:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kirbykart

A public safety warning was issued in New York for the high levels of wildfire smoke in the area.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: kirbykart on June 07, 2023, 11:43:14 AM
A public safety warning was issued in New York for the high levels of wildfire smoke in the area.

Watched the White Sox-Yankees game last night and the smoke was evident on the TV feed. There was discussion about whether or not the smoke would impact the flight of batted balls but there was no consensus reached.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

vdeane

Quote from: triplemultiplex on June 07, 2023, 11:02:59 AM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on June 06, 2023, 07:45:08 PM
I deadass saw Twitter users say the wildfires in Québec were caused by fire drones used by the government. I despise the Legault government, but this is the craziest conspiracy theory I've ever heard. I promise we aren't all like that in poutine land.

Stupid knows no boundaries.
At least it's more believable than Jewish space lasers.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Bruce

AQI readings over 300 should be enough to cancel most outdoor activities...and yet people are still going about their day? Are they stupid?

hotdogPi

Quote from: Bruce on June 07, 2023, 02:13:30 PM
AQI readings over 300 should be enough to cancel most outdoor activities...and yet people are still going about their day? Are they stupid?

Many people here are unaware that this even occurred. That said, it only got up to about 110 here.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Rothman

We hit 432 today.  School extracurriculars and similar activities are cancelled.  Workplaces are not closed across the board.  Telecommuting has been made more available in some cases.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kalvado

Quote from: Rothman on June 07, 2023, 02:17:42 PM
We hit 432 today.  School extracurriculars and similar activities are cancelled.  Workplaces are not closed across the board.  Telecommuting has been made more available in some cases.
I got 230 inside one of SUNY buildings yesterday. I think I may be better off outside!

gonealookin

Ugh, that situation in New York looks awful.  We have had way too much experience with AQI in the 400-500 range in the Tahoe area of the Sierra in recent years.  It can change hourly due to wind conditions but the general smokiness sometimes lasts for a number of days or even a couple weeks.  Hang in there.

Rothman

Quote from: gonealookin on June 07, 2023, 03:34:05 PM
Ugh, that situation in New York looks awful.  We have had way too much experience with AQI in the 400-500 range in the Tahoe area of the Sierra in recent years.  It can change hourly due to wind conditions but the general smokiness sometimes lasts for a number of days or even a couple weeks.  Hang in there.
Yep, back down to under 200 now.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

NWI_Irish96

Tonight's baseball games in the Bronx and Philly have been postponed.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Dough4872

Air quality is really bad here in Pennsylvania and can smell and see the smoke. Sun was an orange ball in the sky this evening.

bing101

Damn this is something California will face once wildfires starts here. However this news segment the wildfire smoke is in places I never expect to be in like the eastern US. Yes I seen Sacramento and San Francisco like this but its because of fires near the city that made it like that.

The last time the United States faced wildfire smoke New York is facing today. Only difference is fires within California creating that effect when San Francisco, Oakland, San Jose and Sacramento had dark orange skies.

bing101

Here is the Scene from the Nova Scotia Fire.

Henry

I've read that the smoke could be seen as far west as Chicago and as far south as Atlanta. Having lived in L.A. for 12 years, my experiences with smog are simply too painful to recall.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Bruce

Quote from: Henry on June 07, 2023, 10:02:30 PM
I've read that the smoke could be seen as far west as Chicago and as far south as Atlanta. Having lived in L.A. for 12 years, my experiences with smog are simply too painful to recall.

This map shows just how widespread it was yesterday:

https://twitter.com/MarshallBBurke/status/1666553353814552577

D-Dey65

Quote from: triplemultiplex on June 07, 2023, 11:02:59 AM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on June 06, 2023, 07:45:08 PM
I deadass saw Twitter users say the wildfires in Québec were caused by fire drones used by the government. I despise the Legault government, but this is the craziest conspiracy theory I've ever heard. I promise we aren't all like that in poutine land.

Stupid knows no boundaries.
Islamic dictatorships are proof of that. I'm waiting for some of those assholes to tell the world it's a punishment from Allah, for defending the free world against their tyrannical stupidity.

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on June 07, 2023, 05:07:07 PM
Tonight's baseball games in the Bronx and Philly have been postponed.
Well, at least the Mets are in Atlanta.

bing101

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-wildfire-wrap-jun-6-1.6866693

Canada is also reporting another wildfire but this time from British Columbia on the West Coast.

famartin

Rothman

Really is looking like the air quality is improving amongst those of us harder hit yesterday...except along the coast.  Ocean must be pushing it back on them.

Dough4872

Still very hazy skies here in Pennsylvania, but can at least see a tinge of blue.

bing101

Note this is how wildfire smoke moves in Southern California but what are the eastern US and Canada equivalent of the Santa Ana Winds.

famartin

Quote from: bing101 on June 08, 2023, 08:54:43 PM
Well apparently the Santa Ana Winds exist in the Eastern Canada and USA too. Those Smoke Alerts everybody in the Eastern Half of Canada and USA are getting are called the Santa Ana Winds. Note this is how wildfire smoke moves in Southern California.

Uh no, really not that similar.

bing101

Quote from: famartin on June 08, 2023, 09:10:13 PM
Quote from: bing101 on June 08, 2023, 08:54:43 PM
Well apparently the Santa Ana Winds exist in the Eastern Canada and USA too. Those Smoke Alerts everybody in the Eastern Half of Canada and USA are getting are called the Santa Ana Winds. Note this is how wildfire smoke moves in Southern California.

Uh no, really not that similar.

Correct not equivalent though.

Rothman

Our AQI has now fallen all the way down to the "good" range in Central NY.

bing101

Here are News Reports from the origin points of Canada's fires.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.