News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-66, Virginia

Started by amroad17, June 10, 2014, 05:18:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amroad17

For quite a while I have always wondered why Virginia built the isolated three mile stretch of I-66 from Marshall to Delaplaine back in 1962.  It was not near any other section of I-66 under construction or finished (such as around Centerville).  It looked "out of place" on maps.  It was just by itself.  I see now how it fit into the grand scheme of things, but back then, even into the mid-1970's, it looked like a freeway that just appeared out of nowhere.  I did remember travelling on it in 1972 with my parents on the way to travel Skyline Drive.  You were on a two lane highway out of Marshall that morphed into the I-66 freeway, drove for three miles, then morphed back into the two-lane VA 55.  Just a bit odd.

My question is, does anyone here on the forum have an answer as to why that section of I-66 was built independent from the rest of I-66?  This always caught me as one of the odd decisions in the history of highway building.  Any answer, or opinion, would be greatly appreciated.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Mapmikey

So far I have been unable to dig up anything explicit on this.  Kozel's site does not mention any backstory on that segment.

CTB Minute Archives show that this segment was receiving construction funds by March 1955 (see pg. 73 of http://www.virginiadot.org/meetings/minutes_pdf/CTB-03-1955-01.pdf) with the knowledge that it was part of the National Interstate System.  i couldn't find readily any deliberations or rationale about which segments were done earliest.

My guess is that this segment came early because of the one-lane bridge on current F-185 which VA 17-55 were using prior to this freeway segment's opening.  But that may only have been a small factor.

Historic Aerials has a satellite view of this isolated segment, exactly as described by the OP:
http://www.historicaerials.com/aerials.php?scale=989&lon=-77.92889564664125&lat=38.89860444226724&year=1965

Mapmikey

ixnay

Quote from: Mapmikey on June 10, 2014, 07:06:32 AM
So far I have been unable to dig up anything explicit on this.  Kozel's site does not mention any backstory on that segment.

CTB Minute Archives show that this segment was receiving construction funds by March 1955 (see pg. 73 of http://www.virginiadot.org/meetings/minutes_pdf/CTB-03-1955-01.pdf) with the knowledge that it was part of the National Interstate System.  i couldn't find readily any deliberations or rationale about which segments were done earliest.

My guess is that this segment came early because of the one-lane bridge on current F-185 which VA 17-55 were using prior to this freeway segment's opening.  But that may only have been a small factor.

Historic Aerials has a satellite view of this isolated segment, exactly as described by the OP:
http://www.historicaerials.com/aerials.php?scale=989&lon=-77.92889564664125&lat=38.89860444226724&year=1965

Mapmikey

I rode as a passenger that once-isolated stretch of 66 in 1984 on a vacation (by then 66 was complete from the TR Bridge all the way to 81).  Thanks, Mapmikey.

ixnay

cpzilliacus

Quote from: amroad17 on June 10, 2014, 05:18:01 AM
My question is, does anyone here on the forum have an answer as to why that section of I-66 was built independent from the rest of I-66?  This always caught me as one of the odd decisions in the history of highway building.  Any answer, or opinion, would be greatly appreciated.

The explanation I have heard is that this was a bypass of metropolitan Marshall, Va. for U.S. 17 and Va. 55 traffic. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Mapmikey

Quote from: cpzilliacus on June 11, 2014, 09:45:43 AM

The explanation I have heard is that this was a bypass of metropolitan Marshall, Va. for U.S. 17 and Va. 55 traffic. 

The 1962 segment was entirely west of Marshall...

Mapmikey

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Mapmikey on June 11, 2014, 10:07:48 AM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on June 11, 2014, 09:45:43 AM

The 1962 segment was entirely west of Marshall...

I recall it starting (at the east end) at Winchester Road (U.S. 17), which would seem to be a Marshall bypass.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Mapmikey

amroad17

The "metropolis" of Marshall.  :-D

Yes, the freeway did begin west of Marshall.  I-66 bypasses Marshall to the south now.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Mapmikey on June 11, 2014, 03:29:01 PM
1965 satellite:

Mapmikey

I should also have qualified that by saying it was in the early 1970's when I first rode that "orphan" section of I-66.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.