News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Illinois Tollway Notes

Started by I-39, March 21, 2016, 10:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobsini2

No your right. He did say UP. That was my bad.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Revive 755

I heard a rumor a while back that there was going to be a multi-lane roundabout coming with I-490, but didn't have information on the location.

edwaleni

Quote from: hobsini2 on June 23, 2020, 05:41:53 PM
Yesterday, my client, who is an road engineer working on the 294 widening told and showed me a bit of interesting news that will not be made public for almost a year about the 490 and Irving Park Rd interchange. His firm is doing this contract. Take this with a grain of salt. But evidently, part of the agreement between the Tollway and BNSF/CP was to deal with the placement of the mainline of 490 and Irving Park. The new plan has both directions of Irving Park merge in with 490 and act as a C-D lane between the South Access Rd and Taft Ave. The current light at South Access and Irving Park is going to be a roundabout. All directions will have access. But the reason for this is because of the CP widening their rail yard in Bensenville. and there is no room north of Irving Park to do it with the 10R runway right there.

It's going to look something like this:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/drive?state=%7B%22ids%22%3A%5B%221pNVZB1gSt9HDWW-LeV4QPmU_EFx0lcXg%22%5D%2C%22action%22%3A%22open%22%2C%22userId%22%3A%22111698626395238786332%22%7D&usp=sharing

Oh and he did say that Irving Park through this area will not have any tolls.

I am surprised you got any information at all.  Doesn't there need to be a public hearing as part of disclosure of the design?

I would think pre-mature public disclosure is a contract violation and put the general contract at risk.

ET21

The 390 extension going into the 490 JCT is moving along. Bridges and roadway are pretty much set from Supreme Drive back towards the current start point. Embankment and road surfaces are starting to be prepped for all the ramps and some ramp bridge work has already started on a few flyovers.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Revive 755

Couple notes from recent travels:

* I-90 has a couple spots where the pavement is not holding up since the rebuild.  The worst may be the eastbound ramp to I-290/IL 53, possibly a further degradation of this spot.

* There seem to be changeable message boards at several of the mainline toll plazas regarding the current non-acceptance of cash with a message along the lines of 'do not stop at plaza'.  Not that it is stopping some people (and probably doesn't help that some of the self service lanes still have green arrows).

* At at least some of the mainline plazas the rightmost/wide load lane now has a small CMS instead of the usual lane use control signal.  The second phase of the message was something like 'authority vehicles only'.

MrManlet

Quote from: Revive 755 on June 25, 2020, 10:07:43 PM
Couple notes from recent travels:

* I-90 has a couple spots where the pavement is not holding up since the rebuild.  The worst may be the eastbound ramp to I-290/IL 53, possibly a further degradation of this spot.
Man Illinois is starting to be like Michigan with their road construction: make concrete roads and they fall apart in ~5 years. Look at what happened to I-96/275.

hobsini2

Quote from: edwaleni on June 24, 2020, 10:25:11 AM
Quote from: hobsini2 on June 23, 2020, 05:41:53 PM
Yesterday, my client, who is an road engineer working on the 294 widening told and showed me a bit of interesting news that will not be made public for almost a year about the 490 and Irving Park Rd interchange. His firm is doing this contract. Take this with a grain of salt. But evidently, part of the agreement between the Tollway and BNSF/CP was to deal with the placement of the mainline of 490 and Irving Park. The new plan has both directions of Irving Park merge in with 490 and act as a C-D lane between the South Access Rd and Taft Ave. The current light at South Access and Irving Park is going to be a roundabout. All directions will have access. But the reason for this is because of the CP widening their rail yard in Bensenville. and there is no room north of Irving Park to do it with the 10R runway right there.

It's going to look something like this:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/drive?state=%7B%22ids%22%3A%5B%221pNVZB1gSt9HDWW-LeV4QPmU_EFx0lcXg%22%5D%2C%22action%22%3A%22open%22%2C%22userId%22%3A%22111698626395238786332%22%7D&usp=sharing

Oh and he did say that Irving Park through this area will not have any tolls.

I am surprised you got any information at all.  Doesn't there need to be a public hearing as part of disclosure of the design?

I would think pre-mature public disclosure is a contract violation and put the general contract at risk.
Ed, he did say not to mention this info. But I thought that in this forum it would be ok to say that this is being floated around.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

JREwing78

It looks like that was anticipated to happen, based on the asphalt section put in place.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: JREwing78 on June 27, 2020, 01:47:11 PM

It looks like that was anticipated to happen, based on the asphalt section put in place.

There was a spot where the pavement was badly folding before the construction was even finished EB between Barrington and Roselle Roads. It was a noticeable bump that had to be redone.

ET21

Quote from: ChiMilNet on June 27, 2020, 05:14:15 PM

There was a spot where the pavement was badly folding before the construction was even finished EB between Barrington and Roselle Roads. It was a noticeable bump that had to be redone.

Yeah there have been a few spots I've noticed with buckling pavement. My most noticeable spot is where the Kennedy begins right after the toll plaza.

Clinched:

ChiMilNet

Quote from: ET21 on July 01, 2020, 12:43:50 PM

Yeah there have been a few spots I've noticed with buckling pavement. My most noticeable spot is where the Kennedy begins right after the toll plaza.

That spot was actually redone in the mid to late 00s some years before the main rebuild. There's actually a noticeable change in pavement right as you approach the River Rd Toll Plaza there (i.e. the concrete is louder in that spot). It's also the same thing WB at the Devon Ave Plaza as that area was rebuilt in the mid to late 00s before the rest of the mainline. Both were done as part of the ORT conversion.

ET21

Quote from: ChiMilNet on July 01, 2020, 01:10:56 PM

That spot was actually redone in the mid to late 00s some years before the main rebuild. There's actually a noticeable change in pavement right as you approach the River Rd Toll Plaza there (i.e. the concrete is louder in that spot). It's also the same thing WB at the Devon Ave Plaza as that area was rebuilt in the mid to late 00s before the rest of the mainline. Both were done as part of the ORT conversion.

I wonder if eventually those sections will need to be rebuilt as well. Was kinda surprised they didn't take a look at them when the entire stretch was redone

Clinched:

ChiMilNet

Quote from: ET21 on July 03, 2020, 11:44:35 PM
Quote from: ChiMilNet on July 01, 2020, 01:10:56 PM

I wonder if eventually those sections will need to be rebuilt as well. Was kinda surprised they didn't take a look at them when the entire stretch was redone

Money factors in with stuff like that. The pavement wasn't that old, so it's not surprising that they left it as is. Plus, they may eventually convert entirelly to electronic tolling, so if that happens, they probably would end up just tearing out the toll plazas altogether. I wouldn't be surprised if that happened within this next decade.

machias

I was really surprised to see the new guide signs for I-490 up (and covered) along the C-D lanes of the eastbound Jane Addams Tollway/I-90. The supports for exit numbers are bare, but the main signs, which appear to be quite large, are up and completely covered with bare metal.

ET21

Yeah those got put up about a month ago. Be curious if we'll see other ones get put up on the east/westbound mainline gantries

Clinched:

Brandon

Over the past week, I've noticed that ISTHA has quietly taken out the coin baskets and self-service machines at several of the I-355 and I-88 interchanges, replacing them with lanes for "I-Pass of Pay Online" and "Do Not Stop".  It appears ISTHA is going AET quietly.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Brandon on July 25, 2020, 07:29:33 PM
Over the past week, I've noticed that ISTHA has quietly taken out the coin baskets and self-service machines at several of the I-355 and I-88 interchanges, replacing them with lanes for "I-Pass of Pay Online" and "Do Not Stop".  It appears ISTHA is going AET quietly.

I noticed that just yesterday. At the 75th Street exit southbound, there used to be three lanes, with I-Pass on the two outside lanes and a basket in the middle. Now, the middle lane is blocked off and I think gated, with channelizing lines directing you to the two sides. The northbound entrance ramp, as of this afternoon, appears to be in mid-conversion to a similar layout.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

tribar

I'm not sure why they didn't switch to AET when they announced that they were having trouble finding parts for the coin machines. Seems like that would have been easier and cheaper than installing the self service machines.

hobsini2

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on July 25, 2020, 08:52:30 PM

I noticed that just yesterday. At the 75th Street exit southbound, there used to be three lanes, with I-Pass on the two outside lanes and a basket in the middle. Now, the middle lane is blocked off and I think gated, with channelizing lines directing you to the two sides. The northbound entrance ramp, as of this afternoon, appears to be in mid-conversion to a similar layout.
Same with Naperville Rd.

skluth

Quote from: hobsini2 on July 30, 2020, 06:49:32 PM

Same with Naperville Rd.

I used to use the Illinois Tollways a lot when I lived in the Midwest. I'd be P'ed if they ever went completely AET. It's fine for all the local exits; locals should have a transponder like I do now that I live in So Cal. But ISTHA should keep the cash option for all the mainline toll plazas and major entrances and exits (like the I-39/US 20 bypass around Rockford). 

lstone19

Quote from: skluth on July 30, 2020, 09:33:46 PM
I used to use the Illinois Tollways a lot when I lived in the Midwest. I'd be P'ed if they ever went completely AET. It's fine for all the local exits; locals should have a transponder like I do now that I live in So Cal. But ISTHA should keep the cash option for all the mainline toll plazas and major entrances and exits (like the I-39/US 20 bypass around Rockford).

Considering that the Massachusetts Turnpike has gone AET and the NY Thruway plans to by year-end, I think that ship has sailed. Both of those roads would be just as worthy for retaining a cash option as ISTHA.

BTW, there has not been a ramp toll at I-39 in Rockford in several years. It was removed to reduce congestion and instead, the toll at South Beloit was increased.

kphoger

Same with Naperville Rd.

That threw me off.  I thought to myself, There are tolls at Naperville Road?  I thought they removed that toll gate when they reconfigured it, and the eastbound entrance ramps never had one to begin with.

I didn't realize that, after the reconfiguration, the exit ramps–which really go to Freedom Drive–are still signed as Naperville Road.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ilpt4u

Quote from: kphoger on July 31, 2020, 11:59:02 AM

Same with Naperville Rd.

That threw me off.  I thought to myself, There are tolls at Naperville Road?  I thought they removed that toll gate when they reconfigured it, and the eastbound entrance ramps never had one to begin with.

I didn't realize that, after the reconfiguration, the exit ramps–which really go to Freedom Drive–are still signed as Naperville Road.
I almost responded to the post about the Naperville Rd tolls...with "You mean the Freedom Drive Exit Tolls?"

Sure, "To Naperville Road"  is OK, but it should be signed Freedom Drive/To Naperville Road

Same thing for the "To Eola Road"  exits - WB should be Bilter Rd/To Eola Rd. EB should be Diehl Rd/To Eola Rd, but whatever. ISTHA didn't ask me

Revive 755

Quote from: ilpt4u on July 31, 2020, 12:56:13 PM
Same thing for the "To Eola Road"  exits - WB should be Bilter Rd/To Eola Rd. EB should be Diehl Rd/To Eola Rd, but whatever. ISTHA didn't ask me

Bigger question I have is why wasn't the Eola Road interchange a folded diamond, rather than the indirect design built?

As for observations on the Tri-State today:
* Appears work may start soon near or at the US 34 interchange.  Seems to be some grading, and if I am remembering the correct location lots of temporary jersey wall segments stored here.
* There's a temporary sign NB for one of the I-55 exits with a white square around the I-55 shield.
* The new mile long bridge is coming along fairly well, although there seem to be a few odd gaps in the structure.  Couldn't tell if they were gaps for railroads.
* There's a decent amount of paving to the west/south of the southbound lanes at the end of the mile long bridge.
* The new SB I-294 to NB I-57 loop ramp has a decent amount of pavement in place.  I would guess it could open in October.
* The new NB I-294 to NB I-57 ramps appears to have barely started.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.