What is the most lonely highway you have ever been on?

Started by Thomas77, April 18, 2021, 10:19:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas77

A road guy.

CoreySamson

I haven't been on too many deserted roads, but LA 10 crossing the Mississippi north of Baton Rouge is pretty abandoned feeling. Not sure why DOTD spent the money on that bridge.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Rothman

Haven't we done this before?

Probably US 6 in NV.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Big John

dlsterner

Me personally?

Probably Iceland's "Ring Road" in the eastern part of the country between Egilsstaðir and Höfn following Routes 95 and 1 (current designation, entire length was designated Route 1 when I drove it in 2017).  For being the primary highway through the area, it had lots of gravel sections, one lane bridges, one slightly harrowing (for me) switchback, and not seeing another car for long stretches of time.

Although I would love to drive US 50 and US 6 in Nevada, as well as a number of other roads out west.

skluth

Any of the roads when I stationed here. There might have been a few more people back in 1981, but not many.

Great Lakes Roads

Some spots on the Ring Road (Route 1) in Iceland.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on April 18, 2021, 10:38:41 PM
Haven't we done this before?

Probably US 6 in NV.

Many times.

That said:

-  US Route would be US 191 between Alpine-Morenci, AZ.
-  Interstate would definitely be the San Rafael Swell segment of I-70. 
-  State Highway probably would be something obscure like CA 172 or AZ 288.  CA 229 between CA 58 and Creston might be a strong contender also.
-  For County Routes I would give it to County Route J1 in the California Diablo Range many times.  County Route 13/Old Brick Highway north of Espanola, Florida is up there too given it basically is unmaintained road.
-  Forest Service Roads; Forest Route 7/Beasore Road of Sierra National Forest, the Nacimiento Fergusson Road of Los Padres National Forest and Sherman Pass Road of Sequoia National Forest come to mind. 
-  National Park Touring Roads have many contenders in the winter but Soda Lake Road is absolutely desolate outside of the super bloom.
-  For OHV Roads I would pick El Camino Del Diablo or the Mojave Road.
-  Regarding abandoned roads and highways the most alone I've felt is on the Old Big Oak Flat Road south of Tamarack Flat towards the slide zone approaching Yosemite Valley.

SkyPesos

For freeways, some section of G3 in Fujian province in China.

andrepoiy

Highway 407 East (the government-owned section) between Highway 418 and 35/115.

ctkatz

I 70 west of the san rafael swell was pretty lonely, but for me the answer is I 89 and 87 north of plattsburgh last year. with no non commercial traffic allowed into canada I feel that I could have hit triple digits on the speedo in the right lane and neither would have had to change lanes or dealt with the local law enforcement for speeding.

webny99

JayhawkCO

webny99

Quote from: jayhawkco on April 19, 2021, 10:38:13 AM
Interstate: I-29

Out of curiosity, have you ever been on that specific segment on I-29 near the border?
I have been several times, and it's actually one of my candidates as well, maybe not when factoring in 2-lane roads, but certainly among interstates.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: webny99 on April 19, 2021, 11:12:56 AM
Quote from: jayhawkco on April 19, 2021, 10:38:13 AM
Interstate: I-29

Out of curiosity, have you ever been on that specific segment on I-29 near the border?
I have been several times, and it's actually one of my candidates as well, maybe not when factoring in 2-lane roads, but certainly among interstates.

Yep.  When I once upon a time moved from Kansas City to Seattle, when we drove out, we first went up to Minnesota to visit some family, then jumped into North Dakota and took I-29 up to Winnipeg (along with MB75 obviously).  Then took the TCH and Yellowhead up to Jasper, Icefields Expressway back down to Calgary, then came back into the U.S. and visited Glacier NP before getting back on the interstate system with I-90 at St. Regis, MT.

The border at Pembina only had maybe 5 cars in line when we arrived.

Chris

webny99

Quote from: jayhawkco on April 19, 2021, 11:15:56 AM
When I once upon a time moved from Kansas City to Seattle, when we drove out, we first went up to Minnesota to visit some family, then jumped into North Dakota and took I-29 up to Winnipeg (along with MB75 obviously).  Then took the TCH and Yellowhead up to Jasper, Icefields Expressway back down to Calgary, then came back into the U.S. and visited Glacier NP before getting back on the interstate system with I-90 at St. Regis, MT.

The border at Pembina only had maybe 5 cars in line when we arrived.

That sounds like fun! Glacier NP is on my bucket list as well. I have actually been to Flathead County, but it was during the winter so Going-to-the-Sun Road was closed.

If you think 5 cars is a short line, try some of the state route crossings! You can usually drive right up and the CBP pretty much knows everyone on a first-name basis and is suspicious of anyone they don't know.

Well tons of rural roads with no volume. And on all the empty state highways in Illinois including state 94 US 34 in Bureau and of course Interstate 180.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: webny99 on April 19, 2021, 11:27:29 AM
That sounds like fun! Glacier NP is on my bucket list as well. I have actually been to Flathead County, but it was during the winter so Going-to-the-Sun Road was closed.

If you think 5 cars is a short line, try some of the state route crossings! You can usually drive right up and the CBP pretty much knows everyone on a first-name basis and is suspicious of anyone they don't know.

Some bucket list travels are crossing into Alberta from Whitlash, MT and taking the ferry at Los Ebanos.

Chris

FrCorySticha

Quote from: webny99 on April 19, 2021, 11:27:29 AM

I crossed from Canada into the US at the crossing for US 191 north of Malta, MT, and actually had to wait for the CBP agents to get back to the station and ready to check me in. They were standing at the border itself visiting with their Canadian counterparts when I pulled up.

SeriesE

TheHighwayMan3561

Interstate: I-75 in Alligator Alley (appearance)/I-95 in northern Maine (traffic)
US: US 59 in northern Minnesota north of Lancaster
State: MN 1 west of MN 89
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SeriesE on April 19, 2021, 01:31:35 PM
I-405 (California) in March 2020. :sombrero:

Funny, I was out on the Parkfield Grade when the first stay at home this was being announced.  I didn't see a single car between CA 198 in Warthan Canyon south to Parkfield and the San Andreas Fault.

webny99

I know this is being said jokingly, but there is something about a wide, empty freeway that's almost spookier and lonelier than a rural two-lane road. This, for example, seems lonelier with six lanes than it would with four, because the extra lanes create the expectation that it should be busy, and that makes it even more noticeable and out of place when it's not.

mgk920

Probably US 2 across da western part of Da YooPee of Michigan.

Mike

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: webny99 on April 19, 2021, 02:51:16 PM

I know this is being said jokingly, but there is something about a wide, empty freeway that's almost spookier and lonelier than a rural two-lane road. This, for example, seems lonelier with six lanes than it would with four, because the extra lanes create the expectation that it should be busy, and that makes it even more noticeable and out of place when it's not.

Try I-280 in San Francisco on for size during a weekend:

https://flic.kr/p/24d2iHX

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.