News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

May 13th: Jackson/Vicksburg MS Road Meet

Started by codyg1985, January 05, 2017, 07:57:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which day works best?

Saturday, May 6th
5 (45.5%)
Saturday, May 13th
6 (54.5%)

Total Members Voted: 11

codyg1985

Hi all,

I am planning a road meet in the Jackson/Vicksburg MS area for sometime in early May. I don't recall there being a meet in Mississippi other than the parts of MS we drove through as part of Jason's 2012 Memphis meet. The meet would span four counties. There is a lot of old stuff to look at!

Some of the attractions would include:

- Various old and historic bridges in Jackson, Byram, along old US 80, and at the Mississippi River
- The Ross Barnett Reservoir spillway crossing
- I-55 South of Jackson reconstruction
- MS 25/Lakeland Drive widening
- Viewing the "stack" interchange at I-20/55 North
- Odd gap in County Line Road just west of I-55
- New, decorative bridge along Madison Pkwy over the railroad in downtown Madison
- Checking out downtown Edwards, which is the last scene from "O Brother, Where Art Thou?"

I am thinking either of the first two weekends in early May would be good for my schedule. April doesn't work for me. Vote above to provide your input.

I don't want to conflict with Brandon's Kanakee meet, but it looks like Memorial Day works best for those going to that meet, as of right now.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Brandon

I voted for the 13th as I have an event on May 6 & 7.  I'm caught between two different ideas for my meet, May 20 or May 27.  I'm leaning toward the 27th as it might be easier on people who attend other meets.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

hbelkins

No preference on dates, but I'm definitely interested in this one. The possibility exists for some route clinches here, as well as visiting a number of new counties.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

Wish I could make it down. What's the deal with that County Line Road gap anyway? RR dead set against a new grade crossing even if they eliminate the one just north?

vdeane

Maybe.  Depends on what meets actually happen next year and where I end up deciding to travel.  It's three days each way from here, but I could incorporate a reasonable amount of new interstate mileage, and it would net me a couple new states.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Roadgeek Adam

Would depend on what's going on, but I would lean May 6. If baseball or prep of finishing grad school is priority, so it is.

If not, I would like to see some Civil Rights places and Amtrak in MS.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

A.J. Bertin

I voted for May 6, but since Brandon has decided to host his Kankakee meet on May 27 (as opposed to the 20th), it's pretty likely that I wouldn't have any issues attending Jackson/Vicksburg if May 13 ends up being the date.
-A.J. from Michigan

74/171FAN

Quote from: vdeane on January 05, 2017, 08:09:30 PM
It's three days each way from here, but I could incorporate a reasonable amount of new interstate mileage, and it would net me a couple new states.

This is ultimately my problem (plus I am still in saving leave for work mode).  I would be interested in going to Vicksburg just for the Civil War stuff.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

codyg1985

Quote from: Alps on January 05, 2017, 07:07:30 PM
Wish I could make it down. What's the deal with that County Line Road gap anyway? RR dead set against a new grade crossing even if they eliminate the one just north?

I think it is part RR against new crossing and part money for a bridge. I think ultimately a bridge will be built there, but that bridge would probably also go over State Street too.
Cody Goodman

cjk374

Count me in! I love this area...especially old 80 & railroads. Either date will be good for me.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

hbelkins

Funny how the first thought for routing isn't necessarily the shortest or fastest. Even though I wouldn't take this route to get to Jackson, my first thought was via Memphis (most would use I-40 from Nashville, but I dislike that route so I'd use the Kentucky parkways and US 51). I ran the directions on Google Maps, and was a bit surprised to find myself routed along I-75, I-59 and I-20. (For the record, I wouldn't take that route either, but I might use US 11 from Meridian on the way home to clinch it in Alabama and then also in Tennessee.

lordsutch

Quote from: codyg1985 on January 06, 2017, 11:32:30 AM
Quote from: Alps on January 05, 2017, 07:07:30 PM

I think it is part RR against new crossing and part money for a bridge. I think ultimately a bridge will be built there, but that bridge would probably also go over State Street too.

There's a project to build a bridge in the STIP. It's largely a money thing; also, to some extent, it's an issue where Hinds County would be responsible for paying for a project that largely would benefit Madison County commuters, so it's not a very high priority for Hinds except for folks trying to get over to Tougaloo College and the like.

Not sure if the new MS 475 interchange by the airport (plus nearby roundabout) would be of interest to those attending; not terribly out of the way if you're going out Lakeland Drive anyway. There's also the East Metro Parkway running east of the airport to the middle of nowhere (I guess the idea is eventually to tie into MS 18 at I-20), and the combination of the Nissan Pkwy/Canton Pkwy up near Canton. And of course you have the rare example of Texas-style frontage roads somewhere outside of Texas along I-55.

Might or might not be able to make it over depending on the date.

jpi

My vote is for 5/13, the weekend before is a toy show weekend, if Steph can get Sunday off she will probably come along too, I would have the chance at some new counties and a parrish and some more I-20 mileage.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

froggie

Cody:  unless you skip the lunch and start in the morning, what you propose is an awful lot to try and cram into a meet timeframe, especially given the distance between Vicksburg and the reservoir.  I'd try to focus on one or two of those themes, but not all.

For those who mention wanting to take in the history stuff, I would recommend allocating no less than 3 hours in order to fully appreciate the Vicksburg National Military Park.

codyg1985

Quote from: froggie on January 06, 2017, 10:49:01 PM
Cody:  unless you skip the lunch and start in the morning, what you propose is an awful lot to try and cram into a meet timeframe, especially given the distance between Vicksburg and the reservoir.  I'd try to focus on one or two of those themes, but not all.

For those who mention wanting to take in the history stuff, I would recommend allocating no less than 3 hours in order to fully appreciate the Vicksburg National Military Park.

Depending on how timing works after I do a quick and dirty itinerary, I may drop a few things from the tour.
Cody Goodman

codyg1985

Quote from: lordsutch on January 06, 2017, 09:15:50 PM
Not sure if the new MS 475 interchange by the airport (plus nearby roundabout) would be of interest to those attending; not terribly out of the way if you're going out Lakeland Drive anyway. There's also the East Metro Parkway running east of the airport to the middle of nowhere (I guess the idea is eventually to tie into MS 18 at I-20), and the combination of the Nissan Pkwy/Canton Pkwy up near Canton. And of course you have the rare example of Texas-style frontage roads somewhere outside of Texas along I-55.

I will definitely keep those in mind. A lot of it is going to depend on which route I come up with for the tour.
Cody Goodman

hbelkins

Casting a vote for May 13. I have a traffic management plan class scheduled for Thursday, May 4, and since I would be using that as a getaway or travel day, I probably won't be able to attend on the 6th.

codyg1985

Right now I am leaning towards May 13th.
Cody Goodman

codyg1985

I have selected a date: May 13th. Facebook event coming shortly.
Cody Goodman

codyg1985

Cody Goodman

froggie

- Unless you rush people through lunch, you're probably not going to be on the road at 12:30.  I'd bank closer to 1pm, especially if you wind up with a decent crowd (i.e. ~10 or more).

- Unless you have a pressing reason to drop down US 51 from the first stop (which, BTW, would net VERY LITTLE clinched mileage the way we have TM set up), it'd just be simpler to cross over US 51 on Main St to get to Old Canton Rd.  Certainly simpler than heading down US 51 to St. Augustine as there's fewer turns and no backtracking (as US 51 heads southwest instead of due south).

- If clinching is needed/desired by enough people, you could take US 80 between 475 and Flying J instead of dropping down to I-20.  It's not much of a time difference.

- I have to question the usefulness of Stop #4.  I get the intent, but the problem with The Stack is there just aren't any good places where one can stop to get a good look at it.  And your proposed stop is pretty dangerous if anyone is attempting to walk along US 80 because of high traffic speeds and the lack of a shoulder or sidewalk to walk on.  I'd suggest eliminating that stop and instead find a way for tour-goers to drive through The Stack a couple times.  You pretty much already have two opportunities...one at the end on the way back to the restaurant.  The second opportunity you could put in, in lieu of Stop #4, is to get back on I-20 from the Flying J pit stop enroute to Stop #5.

If there's a goal here to drive the US 51 Spur freeway, that can easily be incorporated into my suggestion by exiting at Exit 45B, then making a U-turn at Rankin St.

- Another alternative to the above that would leave out The Stack but include driving on the OLD US route approaches into Jackson (and the associated bridges) is such:  from Flying J, head south on US 49.  Hop onto the frontage road just before Old Hwy 49 merges on and use the frontage road to get onto Old Hwy 49 going northbound.  A little before crossing under I-20, there's a split on Old Hwy 49 (basically US 49 Version #1 and Version #2, with current US 49 being "Version #3").  At Vaughn Dr, turn right to get to Old Hwy 49 #1 (there's also a brief view of The Stack from the end of Vaughn Dr if desired).  Take this road underneath I-20, then underneath both US 80 and the rail tracks (crossing under both in a "stack-like" bridge structure) to Old Brandon Rd, which is the old (pre-1940s-ish) US 80 Pearl River crossing.  There's a pull-off on the right just before the bridge with an even older bridge abutment sticking out from it.  From this path, you can turn left on State St to get to the US 51 freeway spur and south on I-55 towards Byram.  Here's a rough map of this idea.

- Given the length of the tour and the comments of some about it's length, you may want to consider taking the group photo at the Byram Swinging Bridge instead of in Vicksburg.

- To be safe, I'd plan on an extra 5 minutes between Stop #5 and Stop #6.

US71

Quote from: froggie on January 30, 2017, 02:30:17 PM
- Unless you rush people through lunch, you're probably not going to be on the road at 12:30.  I'd bank closer to 1pm, especially if you wind up with a decent crowd (i.e. ~10 or more).

- Unless you have a pressing reason to drop down US 51 from the first stop (which, BTW, would net VERY LITTLE clinched mileage the way we have TM set up), it'd just be simpler to cross over US 51 on Main St to get to Old Canton Rd.  Certainly simpler than heading down US 51 to St. Augustine as there's fewer turns and no backtracking (as US 51 heads southwest instead of due south).

- If clinching is needed/desired by enough people, you could take US 80 between 475 and Flying J instead of dropping down to I-20.  It's not much of a time difference.

- I have to question the usefulness of Stop #4.  I get the intent, but the problem with The Stack is there just aren't any good places where one can stop to get a good look at it.  And your proposed stop is pretty dangerous if anyone is attempting to walk along US 80 because of high traffic speeds and the lack of a shoulder or sidewalk to walk on.  I'd suggest eliminating that stop and instead find a way for tour-goers to drive through The Stack a couple times.  You pretty much already have two opportunities...one at the end on the way back to the restaurant.  The second opportunity you could put in, in lieu of Stop #4, is to get back on I-20 from the Flying J pit stop enroute to Stop #5.

If there's a goal here to drive the US 51 Spur freeway, that can easily be incorporated into my suggestion by exiting at Exit 45B, then making a U-turn at Rankin St.

- Another alternative to the above that would leave out The Stack but include driving on the OLD US route approaches into Jackson (and the associated bridges) is such:  from Flying J, head south on US 49.  Hop onto the frontage road just before Old Hwy 49 merges on and use the frontage road to get onto Old Hwy 49 going northbound.  A little before crossing under I-20, there's a split on Old Hwy 49 (basically US 49 Version #1 and Version #2, with current US 49 being "Version #3").  At Vaughn Dr, turn right to get to Old Hwy 49 #1 (there's also a brief view of The Stack from the end of Vaughn Dr if desired).  Take this road underneath I-20, then underneath both US 80 and the rail tracks (crossing under both in a "stack-like" bridge structure) to Old Brandon Rd, which is the old (pre-1940s-ish) US 80 Pearl River crossing.  There's a pull-off on the right just before the bridge with an even older bridge abutment sticking out from it.  From this path, you can turn left on State St to get to the US 51 freeway spur and south on I-55 towards Byram.  Here's a rough map of this idea.

- Given the length of the tour and the comments of some about it's length, you may want to consider taking the group photo at the Byram Swinging Bridge instead of in Vicksburg.

Old 49 passes under the old ICRR and US 80. Area also floods a lot.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

codyg1985

Quote from: froggie on January 30, 2017, 02:30:17 PM

Thanks for your feedback. Originally, I was actually thinking of having the tour pass under the "double bridge" under the railroad and US 80 and then stopping at the Old Brandon Rd bridge, but I figured the view of the Stack at the junk yard would be better. Based on your feedback, I will adjust my route accordingly.
Cody Goodman

hbelkins

After looking at the itinerary, I am having second thoughts. A tour lasting 6 1/2 hours is just a bit much -- actually, it's way too much -- for me. If I come, I will probably forego the trip out to Vicksburg and bail out after the last Jackson-area stop.

jpi

Steph and I are maybe's for now but I am thinking this will change to going as we get closer and nothing else comes up
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.