News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Meet history list?

Started by hbelkins, September 22, 2017, 11:52:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Whatever happened to the listing of meet histories (and the repository of group photos it contained)?

At one time, I think Pete Jenior was maintaining it and it was hosted on a Gribblenation page. Pete's not been active in the roadgeek community for awhile, and GN has gone away.

Is that list still out there somewhere, and how long's it been since it's been updated?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

It was maintained on GN though I thought by Adam.

Duke87

I remember this list but it was at least five years ago that its original maintainer shed responsibility for it and I don't think it's been updated since then. I don't even know if it's still online anywhere.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Michael

I remember seeing the page in question, so I just did a bit of Googling.  I found this thread on the forum, which mentioned the original URL.   Fortunately, it was archived by the Wayback Machine.  Here's the most recent snapshot.

EDIT: It looks like the pictures weren't archived.

getemngo

Hey, that was briefly my page! I mostly just fixed dead links. Wasn't a good time to start new projects.

Doug has Gribblenation.net (though I believe not .com) backed up, so it should be possible to recover most of the photos.

I had toyed with reviving the page elsewhere when the end of Gribblenation was announced, but there's two issues with doing that:

• Getting permission from all the original photographers to post the meet photos again, if not for legal reasons, then at least as a courtesy
  • In this day and age, not everyone wants their full name and photo published. I had also wanted to start posting links to related media, i.e. meet itineraries, Flickr albums, etc. Same privacy issues, especially with anything that could link to Facebook profiles. How do we handle this? Should including real names next to photo captions be opt-in or opt-out?
~ Sam from Michigan

jpi

Quote from: getemngo on October 03, 2017, 04:42:04 PM
Hey, that was briefly my page! I mostly just fixed dead links. Wasn't a good time to start new projects.

Doug has Gribblenation.net (though I believe not .com) backed up, so it should be possible to recover most of the photos.

I had toyed with reviving the page elsewhere when the end of Gribblenation was announced, but there's two issues with doing that:

• Getting permission from all the original photographers to post the meet photos again, if not for legal reasons, then at least as a courtesy
  • In this day and age, not everyone wants their full name and photo published. I had also wanted to start posting links to related media, i.e. meet itineraries, Flickr albums, etc. Same privacy issues, especially with anything that could link to Facebook profiles. How do we handle this? Should including real names next to photo captions be opt-in or opt-out?
I can't speak for anyone else but as for me and Stephanie, no problems with us with names, ect...
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Dougtone

Yes, I have gribblenation.net backed up. Gribblenation.com is also backed up, not by me though.

Duke87

My two cents on this: I would go ahead and continue using people's names unless they've explicitly requested otherwise. This is how it's been done in the past and it hasn't generated complaints, so I see no need to suddenly change now.

That said, I would not link to anyone's social media profiles. I know I certainly would rather mine not be linked to.

As for the photos, I would go with credit the photographer (if the photographer is known) and assume it's OK to use unless they say otherwise. Generally speaking when anyone takes an "official meet photo" it is understood that said photo is going to be used to represent the meet.

If you decide you want permission, you have permission to use mine (2011 New Haven, 2013 St Lawrence Valley, 2014 Merritt Parkway, 2016 Reykyavik, 2017 Eclipse viewing in McMinnville TN).
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

TheHighwayMan3561

You have my permission to use any materials from the 2016 Duluth meet as well. I can send you anything you need that may no longer be readily available.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Hot Rod Hootenanny

IMO, If the meet photo is up on Facebook (or other forms of social media), then its fair game for usage (If the name is untagged there, then leave it untagged on the roadmeet webpage).
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

hbelkins

I don't mind my name and photo being used in any of the roadgeek meet group photos in which I appear. They've been on the defunct webpage in the past so I have no issues now.

I also don't mind having links to anything, including social media, since I rarely tweet and I keep my Facebook page pretty well locked down so the general public sees very little.

SSOWorld

Quote from: hbelkins on October 05, 2017, 08:51:20 PM
I don't mind my name and photo being used in any of the roadgeek meet group photos in which I appear. They've been on the defunct webpage in the past so I have no issues now.

I also don't mind having links to anything, including social media, since I rarely tweet and I keep my Facebook page pretty well locked down so the general public sees very little.
I've seen the guard... https://i.pinimg.com/736x/b9/9c/07/b99c07f2a75b900c3bfb29d4a780ef2d--sweet-dreams-cat-sleeping.jpg

:bigass:
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Takumi

You can use my 2012 Richmond meet photos, if they still exist anywhere.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

CanesFan27

Sam,

I'll ask Brian for what he has backed up for gn.com.  are you just wanting the pics or the entire html data from aq page?  At a minimum, I can give you the internet archive links. 

Hot Rod Hootenanny

To whomever is, or will, host the "History of Roadgeek meetings" page; I discovered that I have photos of the 2003(?) Cincy Road Meet that HB Elkins took. I think those photos came along with a bunch of other Ohio stuff that HB photographed and sent to Marc Fannin for use on Roadfan sometime back.

bandit957

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on December 01, 2017, 10:01:04 PM
To whomever is, or will, host the "History of Roadgeek meetings" page; I discovered that I have photos of the 2003(?) Cincy Road Meet that HB Elkins took. I think those photos came along with a bunch of other Ohio stuff that HB photographed and sent to Marc Fannin for use on Roadfan sometime back.

That wasn't even a legit meet.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: bandit957 on December 05, 2017, 05:32:58 PM

Now, don't go Donald Trump on us.

Alps

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on December 05, 2017, 09:35:30 PM

It wasn't. The host hid the meet location so not everyone could attend. That makes it an invitational.

bandit957

Quote from: Alps on December 05, 2017, 11:22:04 PM

It wasn't. The host hid the meet location so not everyone could attend. That makes it an invitational.

There was actually 2 Cincinnati "meets" like this around that time.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

hbelkins

I attended two Cincinnati meets in the early 2000s, both hosted by Pete Jenior. One was at Buckhead Mountain Grill in Newport/Bellevue on my side of the river. The other was at Rookwood Pottery on a hilltop on the east side of town.

One of the meets focused on Fort Washington Way reconstruction. The other included a tour of the American Sign Museum. I remember leaving one of the meets early to go visit the Micro Center on the north side of town to see if they had any electronics bargains.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Revisionist history

Alps

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on December 06, 2017, 09:46:48 PM

Revisionist history
Pretty sure that happened.

hbelkins

Quote from: Alps on December 07, 2017, 12:36:33 AM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on December 06, 2017, 09:46:48 PM

Revisionist history
Pretty sure that happened.

There was an attempt made to exclude one person from attending due to the organizer's fear of an embarrassing incident, or misbehavior that might get the group ejected from the venue, occurring. However, that attempt failed because the meet was posted on the Roadgeek Yahoo group, and said person was a member of Roadgeek. Said person was aware of at least one of the meets (the one where lunch was at Buckhead across the river in Kentucky) but did not attend.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.